Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia GTX 10xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Supposedly OcUK slipped the prices out earlier £420 - 440 for the NON-FE Cards. If thats what we are looking at for pricing then I am most certainly out.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

It was 2pm our time for the 1080 launch fyi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Supposedly OcUK slipped the prices out earlier £420 - 440 for the NON-FE Cards. If thats what we are looking at for pricing then I am most certainly out.

Do you have a source for that?

Where would the best place typically be to order one the second the partners cards come out before they are sold out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Would not suprise me in the least.

Meaning a founders will be what near 600? considering a lesser brand 1080 is not far off this? What to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Supposedly OcUK slipped the prices out earlier 420 - 440 for the NON-FE Cards. If thats what we are looking at for pricing then I am most certainly out.

Would not suprise me in the least.

Meaning a founders will be what near 600? considering a lesser brand 1080 is not far off this? What to do.
    The founders 1070 is 499 on evgas site http://eu.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-6170-KR

Forget about OCUK :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

http://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2016/06/nvidia-gtx-1070-review/

£399 for the FE, looks like we do have to wait for AiB.

£399 + 3% (VAT) = €525 for the FE. I suspect we'll see the lower end AiB's at €450 then.

£320 + 3% (VAT) = €421 for the bottom end AiB's it seems. I may wait unless there are some nice AiB's around the €450 mark, I think it's gonna be more like €475.

Have we seen any good overclocking results? I was not impressed by the gains seen on the 1080, if its similar for the 1070 might not be worth waiting too long.

Have we seen any good overclocking results? I was not impressed by the gains seen on the 1080, if its similar for the 1070 might not be worth waiting too long.

I've been blown away tbh! The cores are pretty much guaranteed to hit 2Ghz, power seems to make sod all difference. We're not seeing huge frame rate gains though which makes me believe we seeing memory bandwidth as an issue.

Okay the 1080 getting roughly 10% isn't that great, still not bad, but a 1070 at 2Ghz. Very nice TYVM :pac:

I've been blown away tbh! The cores are pretty much guaranteed to hit 2Ghz, power seems to make sod all difference. We're not seeing huge frame rate gains though which makes me believe we seeing memory bandwidth as an issue.

Okay the 1080 getting roughly 10% isn't that great, still not bad, but a 1070 at 2Ghz. Very nice TYVM :pac:

I have not looked at any reviews on overclocking the 1070, it was the 1080 I was referring to. I'm not really bothered about speeds and all other manner of technical stuff, I am only interested in FPS increase as that is what I will be able to see and benefit from.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Crazy money showing up on geizhals. No thanks.

• Advertisement

I have not looked at any reviews on overclocking the 1070, it was the 1080 I was referring to. I'm not really bothered about speeds and all other manner of technical stuff, I am only interested in FPS increase as that is what I will be able to see and benefit from.

You'll have to delve into the tech stuff I'm afraid as certain games are reaching the limits of the engines.

That said the 1080 is seeing 10-20% OCs with a similar increase in framerate (closer to 10% to be fair). Not bad, the issue though - delving into the tech stuff again is that seems to be the hard limit. No extra power etc. seems to help.

Seems very likely partner cards will be available today then.....Im refreshing pages left right and centre. I know it should be 1pm, but sometimes they do it early and I dont want to miss out.

My understanding is that the partner cards should be a little cheaper than the FE ones right?

Soooooooo close to pulling the trigger on a EVGA 1080 FTW... Looking at these prices once things settle I think €508 for the 1070 version - I'm assuming they'll do one? Talk me down people! Talk me down please!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

While I was dead cert on a 1070, and while I'm feeling the "need it" urge right now, I typically know I'll be waiting until the 25th of this month, and by then things will have settled and all the card ranges will be out.

But there is some speculation on pricing that is a bit mad. I'm really, really expecting a 1070 that I'll get to be within the €400-450 mark. Anything higher then say €480 and I'll actually just hold off, assuming AMD's offers will cause another pricing shift.

Granted I don't like Nvidia as a company and the **** they go on with and while it doesn't help with the fanboy stuff, €500 for the stepdown version would be a massive taking the piss.

The 1080 at the pricepoint its at still isn't ideal, but fair enough, it's "enthusiast". Slight concern growing as I'm reading some posts here and on other forums. Granted its people having a guess, dont put anything past that shower anymore.

The wife walked upstairs and caught me looking at...

Mindfactory, I was 'talked' down. :(

Right no more I've decided! 1070 FTW - I reckon €479 based on the €499 for the founders and the FTW being €20 cheaper on the 1080 front. That said there is less of a difference on the 1070 pricing points, so maybe €499. I could probably go for that... probably!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

You'll be lucky. I'd say the 1070 FTW will go for closer to €460/70.

Do you think at 1pm everyone all around the EU will be refreshing the pages of shops and pressing buy at the same time? Will it basically be a race?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I have a defined budget €510 including shipping. Part of me says to wait till monday, but another part says wait till monday and I'll find I can't order anything, having to wait a week or two.

Why bother paying that much for a 1070 when 150 more gets you a vastly superior 1080?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Do you think at 1pm everyone all around the EU will be refreshing the pages of shops and pressing buy at the same time? Will it basically be a race?

If stocks are like that of the 1080....
    39 will be sold, and then be sold out XD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Why bother paying that much for a 1070 when 150 more gets you a vastly superior 1080?

Because the 1070 is already better than a 980ti and 150 euro isn't trivial money? :confused:

You could ask why pay an extra 150 euro when you can already get a monster of a card.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I don't agree with that. It's better but the price to performance for the extra isn't there for me.

Edit: Also, supposing the 1080 Ti is a significant jump on the 1080, I'd be more inclined to spend the 1080 Ti cost and not say 'ah feck'.

Serephucus wrote: »
    You'll be lucky. I'd say the 1070 FTW will go for closer to €460/70.

I reckon €479 - I could prolly do that or did you mean 560/70?

It's more like €300 to be fair given current pricing. It's definitely closer to €150 when you consider reference (AiB reference, this is getting confusing) to 1070 AiB mid-top end but then for me there is a definite look/sound issue. Thats the mistake I made with the 290 - ah sure don't care - turns out I need ear defenders when gaming! :eek:

It's more like €300 to be fair given current pricing. It's definitely closer to €150 when you consider reference (AiB reference, this is getting confusing) to 1070 AiB mid-top end but then for me there is a definite look/sound issue. Thats the mistake I made with the 290 - ah sure don't care - turns out I need ear defenders when gaming! :eek:

The 1080 has starting prices at 660.. If prices are true with 1070 starting around 500 i just dont see the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I would take those prices from no-name shops with a massive pinch of salt. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I don't agree with that. It's better but the price to performance for the extra isn't there for me.

Edit: Also, supposing the 1080 Ti is a significant jump on the 1080, I'd be more inclined to spend the 1080 Ti cost and not say 'ah feck'.

You can bet the Ti's will have a pretty hefty price tag along with having to wait the best part of a year for them. I reckon end of 2016 for a big pascal Titan and Q2 2017 for the trimmed down 1080 Ti.

The 1080 has starting prices at 660.. If prices are true with 1070 starting around 500 i just dont see the point.

The €660 is a KFA board which is just a plastic shroud with a sticker on. The card is probably grand to be absolutely fair and probably quite acceptable when gaming, probably pretty quiet when idle, not silent though. In its favour is a better reference PCB design than the 1070, one more phase IIRC.

€479 is a EVGA reference board with silent performance at idle, very quiet performance in gaming and no worry about thermal throttling* (seen on some 1080 reference designs). Given the 1070 is good enough I'm happy to pay the extra for the extra's but not prepared to go to the expense of the extra's on the 1080. Also €190 is a fair old chunk of change.

TL;DR I'm going for the fully spec'd 3 series rather than the Paddy spec 5 series, but it's not the right choice for everyone I grant you!

*I use the term very loosely meaning not maintaining a max boost clock.

Its 1pm, where are they?????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Venom wrote: »
    You can bet the Ti's will have a pretty hefty price tag along with having to wait the best part of a year for them. I reckon end of 2016 for a big pascal Titan and Q2 2017 for the trimmed down 1080 Ti.

Yeah, if people buy the 1070 and 1080 at these prices, "big" Pascal will be even more obscenely priced.... Unless AMD can do something special with Vega. Fingers crossed.
    Its 1pm, where are they?????

OcUK at least, add new cards at 2PM traditionally.

Advertisement