Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia GTX 10xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Zillah wrote: »
    I can confirm that I see "EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0" with "add to basket". Good luck actually getting a sale through.
    (EDIT: That one is listed as $439.99 - no sign of it on the EU site yet)

Translates to €479 which doesn't bode well for the FTW ed. :(

Edit: 4 SKUs (none loading) showing on the EVGA website now. ooooh. Exciting!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Way overpriced. Meant to be cheaper than FE, so nope, I will be patient.

Are they though? Meant to be cheaper than FE, that is. They gave an MSRP, but that applies only to the cheapest models I'd have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'm getting somewhat confused

So the FE appended stuff is like the "limited edition" early adopter cards right? And hence the bloated pricing?

Nvidia announced their RRP for the 1070's at like $320, so I think I'm right in my assumptions that the bulk buying/sales this week are FE limited edition cards, and the ones I'm actually interested in, won't crop up on sale until like next week.

That accurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Translates to €479 which doesn't bode well for the FTW ed. :(

Edit: 4 SKUs (none loading) showing on the EVGA website now. ooooh. Exciting!!!

Do you really think the FTW model is worth the price bump? I've always been sceptical about the difference in OEMs. I was considering getting a KFA2 1080, because at the end of the day, it's a GTX 1080...will I really even notice any meaningful difference?

I'm struggling to understand why I'd bother get anything but the cheapest 1070 variant (or at this point, whichever I can order today because I'm sick of running my Vive on a 770)

Also I have an errand to go do and I'm starting to wonder if there is any chance I'll be able to order something before I leave. Are these likely to be limited stock that will run out in an hour?

EDIT: One of the menu entries for the 1070 is a founders edition for $449.99.

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'm getting somewhat confused

So the FE appended stuff is like the "limited edition" early adopter cards right? And hence the bloated pricing?

Nvidia announced their RRP for the 1070's at like $320, so I think I'm right in my assumptions that the bulk buying/sales this week are FE limited edition cards, and the ones I'm actually interested in, won't crop up on sale until like next week.

That accurate?

The FE is the early adopter tax or the craftsman tax - let's be fair the FE is a well built card. Although it's a lot more the former than the latter.

The MSRP is based on the reference (same as FE) card design using a blower cooler - a much cheaper one than the FE.

Add a customer cooler and/or custom PCB into the mix you're up near FE money. Given it's only $70 on the 1070 and the cost for the coolers/PCBs are trhe same maybe even more than the FE.

• Advertisement

Do you really think the FTW model is worth the price bump? I've always been sceptical about the difference in OEMs. I was considering getting a KFA2 1080, because at the end of the day, it's a GTX 1080...will I really even notice any meaningful difference?

I'm struggling to understand why I'd bother get anything but the cheapest 1070 variant (or at this point, whichever I can order today because I'm sick of running my Vive on a 770)

Also I have an errand to go do and I'm starting to wonder if there is any chance I'll be able to order something before I leave. Are these likely to be limited stock that will run out in an hour?

EDIT: One of the menu entries for the 1070 is a founders edition for $449.99.

Honestly - it's for the RGB. If RGB was on the basic cooler I'd be going to that. There's absolutely no difference between the first 3 cards in the line up. So to most people defo not worth it! :)

Edit. Thinking I could strip down the cooler and redify the LEDs :pac:

The FE is the early adopter tax or the craftsman tax - let's be fair the FE is a well built card. Although it's a lot more the former than the latter.

The MSRP is based on the reference (same as FE) card design using a blower cooler - a much cheaper one than the FE.

Add a customer cooler and/or custom PCB into the mix you're up near FE money. Given it's only $70 on the 1070 and the cost for the coolers/PCBs are trhe same maybe even more than the FE.

Not sure if this is what you meant, but the cooler on the 1080 FE and 1070 FE aren't the same. It's why there's a smaller price difference between AIB 1070s and the 1070 FE than there are with their 1080 equivalents (well, from what we've been able to see so far... that could all change with any kind of availability).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I couldnt see anything on the EVGA site as its too busy. So I phoned them up and spoke to their sales team in Germany. Available right now are the FE cards, the ACX 3.0 and the Superclocked versions. All of them are €499. The non-FE are actually only available for preorder and they expect that they would be shipping next week, they use UPS and he said normally its next day delivery to Ireland. He said they should have plenty of stock and certainly enough to fulfill all pre orders. He said not to worry about the initial rush and problems with the site, just to try again later as it will calm down soon enough.

He said the best card currently is the Superclocked version.

Dair76 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is what you meant, but the cooler on the 1080 FE and 1070 FE aren't the same. It's why there's a smaller difference between AIB 1070s and the 1070 FE than there are with their 1080 equivalents (well, from what we've been able to see so far... that could all change with any kind of availability).

The cooler (say the ACX 3.0, Windforce VI etc) would have the same cost on a AiB card. Given there is less or a difference for the reason you've mentioned it means that the AiB boards may surpass the 1070FE price.

I couldnt see anything on the EVGA site as its too busy. So I phoned them up and spoke to their sales team in Germany. Available right now are the FE cards, the ACX 3.0 and the Superclocked versions. All of them are €499. The non-FE are actually only available for preorder and they expect that they would be shipping next week, they use UPS and he said normally its next day delivery to Ireland. He said they should have plenty of stock and certainly enough to fulfill all pre orders. He said not to worry about the initial rush and problems with the site, just to try again later as it will calm down soon enough.

He said the best card currently is the Superclocked version.

You're smart. This is all very 21st century. The site gets mobbed by thousands of people while I'm sure their phone lines with staff waiting to help have tumbleweed drifting by.

This preorder nonsense is pissing me off though. Can I please just exchange money for goods? When did this get so hard. I'm considering the FE just to get the bloody thing over with.

• Advertisement

The cooler (say the ACX 3.0, Windforce VI etc) would have the same cost on a AiB card. Given there is less or a difference for the reason you've mentioned it means that the AiB boards may surpass the 1070FE price.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. It makes the 1070 FE price look even worse imo.

OcUK has stabilised. Cheapest card is again the KFA, at £365 for the basic blower... the one with a clown serial killer on it. Still overpriced imo.

The ACX card is actually €10 less.

I managed to finally get on the EVGA site, but there was no option to add it to basket and preorder it, only to be notified once its available.

evga%20site.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

If those prices hold (which they very well may not)... 1080 for me!

Wonder if there will be a FTW?

Oooh it's just appeared with more power phases.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Keggers2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Those prices are insanely high. The Inno3D iChill x4 is only €150 more for the GTX1080 model. If those prices stick like that them I'm definitely just getting a 1080.

FFS the height is slightly too large again, though they were standard width grrr.

Dimensiuons are actually all over the place on the website. The SC is apparently 150mm that's not right.

There's also the Gigabyte G1 Gaming card going for the same price on that sight. Don't know if it's brand perception or what but I'd be more inclined to go for that myself

Keggers2 wrote: »

Wow. Just bought one straight away. €450 delivered and the ichill is an excellent cooling solution and those cards normally have very high clocks versus others in the same price range.

Thanks! :D

• Advertisement

F uck it. Me too. Bought the Gigabyte.

Wow. Just bought one straight away. €450 delivered and the ichill is an excellent cooling solution and those cards normally have very high clocks versus others in the same price range.

Thanks! :D

Glad to help! Pro hack- I went on the MSI website and a click around their 'where to buy' page and started going to the websites of retailers.

Keggers2 wrote: »

That link says "Announced - for approx. end of June 2016"

Sounds like you're preordering rather than ordering?

Yeah, it's pre-orders only...nobody actually has stock yet. But that's exactly the model I wanted and the price is excellent, can't see it getting anything better. The same in Euro delivered as OCUK want for the card in Sterling excluding delivery.

That link says "Announced - for approx. end of June 2016"

Sounds like you're preordering rather than ordering?

Was just about to post that. I dont think I could handle the wait knowing I have paid already. By the time its delivered prices might have dropped.

I'm wary of pre-ordering from somewhere I've never heard of before that says "end of June" when apparently EVGA have said they will ship next week, which could be as little as three days away.

Paid through Amazon so not too worried, also paid by credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

I'm wary of pre-ordering from somewhere I've never heard of before that says "end of June" when apparently EVGA have said they will ship next week, which could be as little as three days away.

I think they are solid enough to buy from. Still , use your CC or paypal rather than bank transfer and you will be grand.

I do wonder if we'll see the orders canceled though :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Those prices are insanely high. The Inno3D iChill x4 is only €150 more for the GTX1080 model. If those prices stick like that them I'm definitely just getting a 1080.

That was exactly my point before 2pm.

Advertisement