Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia GTX 10xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Venom wrote: »
    Lack of stock + must have tech item = crazy prices.

Nvidias own site has £400 straight buy from themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Keggers2

Does anyone else hate the look of the new EVGA coolers? I'm sure they're better in terms of performance, but dayum, dey ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I literally could not care less about how anything looks, and it really turns me off when I see manufacturers talking about their amazing LEDs or how their casing looks like a stealth fighter or any of the other condescending nonsense they go on about.

I would like the ugliest, highest performance card for the lowest price possible please. Save every penny you can on your decorations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Zillah wrote: »
    I literally could not care less about how anything looks, and it really turns me off when I see manufacturers talking about their amazing LEDs or how their casing looks like a stealth fighter or any of the other condescending nonsense they go on about.

I would like the ugliest, highest performance card for the lowest price possible please. Save every penny you can on your decorations.

Yeah I'm kind of glad I don't have a windowed case! Bought ram a few years ago that was on special offer, great price, didnt read to much into tthe desciption, it arrived, stuck it in, ****ing LED disco strobe going on. Closed up case, can't see it anymore, so I doesn't matter! Would be driven nuts if I could see that all the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Narrowing down my choices.

Msi seems likely.

I want a two fan card this time.

zotac amp is got decent base and boost. Matches the more expensive Msi X gaming.

Kinda want noise cooling info.

• Advertisement

I used to not care, and like a card being ugly would in no way turn me off of it if the price and performance were good and all that.

But I think these things can also be appreciated for their aesthetic beauty :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

At this point I'm going to go with whichever OEM releases first. Far too much time and thought go into this already.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Zillah wrote: »

My sentiments exactly, I'm not looking at the box when I'm playing, I don't give a hoot what the internals look like and simply don't understand the adoration.

Mindfactory's (who I actually swear by for pricing) finally listed their 1070s aaand the Inno is still coming up cheapest at 469

http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/8192MB-Inno3D-GeForce-GTX-1070-iChill-X3-Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--Retail-_1094562.html

So far it's the nearest to the 400-450 price range I've seen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Keggers2 wrote: »
    Mindfactory's (who I actually swear by for pricing) finally listed their 1070s aaand the Inno is still coming up cheapest at 469

http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/8192MB-Inno3D-GeForce-GTX-1070-iChill-X3-Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--Retail-_1094562.html

So far it's the nearest to the 400-450 price range I've seen

Their MSI 1080 at 789 as well. 40 quid cheaper than I've seen anywhere else.

• Advertisement

Has anyone had stuff shipped from the states before? I've got a friend who's just landed stateside and I'm wondering if it'd be worth my while getting him to buy a card for me and then ship it over in a package?

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Mark1006

I used to not care, and like a card being ugly would in no way turn me off of it if the price and performance were good and all that.

But I think these things can also be appreciated for their aesthetic beauty :p

I agree. Not saying those ridiculous mobos where you're paying an extra €70 for a splash of red or those silly robot brain cpu coolers are worth it, but a PC is something that you're going to be looking at for 2-5 years. Might as well make it attractive if that's important for you. I'd personally be willing to spend maybe a 10% premium on cheaper goods and maybe 5% on the more expensive ones to make it all fit together aesthetically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

No reply from CU - I have to say this is looking pretty sweet pricewise.

Not a chance I'm going over €500 for a 1070.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Does anyone else hate the look of the new EVGA coolers? I'm sure they're better in terms of performance, but dayum, dey ugly.
    I actually love them!

Eoinmc97 wrote: »
    I actually love them!

Me too, apart from that side plate bit they are cracking looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I really like them. That side plate yoke is a MASSIVE eyesore, and I heartily wish it wasn't there, but it's the first thing that's RGB that hasn't immediately made me think "more pointless lights".

970 sold. Decisions decisions now.

I really really want the MSI 1080 but that price tag is a turn off. That said, it's a card that will last me for years and I've now offset the price a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Noxin wrote: »

I really really want the MSI 1080 but that price tag is a turn off. That said, it's a card that will last me for years and I've now offset the price a bit.

There is going to be an initial price gouge I'd say with such high demand and low supply, I'd speculate pricing will drop a bit and probably stablise towards end of the month and into July

TheDoc wrote: »
    There is going to be an initial price gouge I'd say with such high demand and low supply, I'd speculate pricing will drop a bit and probably stablise towards end of the month and into July

I'm not in a huge rush to buy anyway. I've got a 670 to tie me over for the moment. But I really hope you're right. 830 euro for the MSI is insane. Needs to come down a bit.

I'm in the exact opposite boat where I need a new card (I do a lot of video rendering/transcoding/editing etc and my current card's well on its way out).

I know that these cards are the best value for what I need, but I'm quite annoyed about the fact that if I could wait a few more weeks they'd be even better value

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

In fairness for the ASUS ROG Series 500 for the 1070 isnt too bad
    https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/products/90656485/asus-rog-strix-geforce-gtx1070-oc-strix-gtx1070-o8g-gaming.asp

Still going to hold off and see where the RX480 comes in with regards to performance. Anywhere above 390x/R9 Fury or 980Ti (which I dont expect it will) and at expect price then its AMD

In fairness for the ASUS ROG Series 500 for the 1070 isnt too bad
    https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/products/90656485/asus-rog-strix-geforce-gtx1070-oc-strix-gtx1070-o8g-gaming.asp

Still going to hold off and see where the RX480 comes in with regards to performance. Anywhere above 390x or 980Ti (which I dont expect it will) and at expect price then its AMD

Over €500 is too close to the 1080 IMHO and also just too high in a metal barrier sense being over halfway to a grand.

Incidentally:

Dear MarkAnthony,

The price in your order has not changed so far, but the item is still in pre-order status. We will keep you updated of course.

Best regards

Volker Schmidt-Moritz
    Customer Service

phone +49 6031 7910-0
    fax +49 6031 7910-200
    info@computeruniverse.net
    www.computeruniverse.net

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Noxin wrote: »

What did you get for the 970? if you don't mine me asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Have to say im feeling like the prices for both cards is a little bit too high atm. Also if it turns out like last gen the 1080 may go the way of the 980 and turn out to be one of the worst performers per dollar which would make me apprehensive when it comes to it. Although they could just sit the 1080ti at the previous Titan price point now looking at how its lining up.

Really undecided weather to wait for AMD at this point,1070 performance is really where i wanna be at and id be unsure what AMD would have in that area,and more importantly when it would be available. I had my mind made up to wait and try and see both line ups in full but with the direction thing seem to be going there may be no point.

I think we do need to bear in mind there is a really supply and demand issue going on at the moment, I think anyone purchasing now has to bear that in mind. nVidia are a bunch of cunning stunts but I don't really blame them for the current premiums. We're all a little too eager! :)

I've my 1070 pre ordered at what I feel is a decent price, however I'm very aware the price might change. I'm not expecting to get it until the end of the month anyway so I might end up canceling and going AMD. I really son;t need the performance, I just want a little boost for VR and a nice quiet, good looking card*.

*Yes, yes I know :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Its dead Jim

EoinHef wrote: »
    Have to say im feeling like the prices for both cards is a little bit too high atm. Also if it turns out like last gen the 1080 may go the way of the 980 and turn out to be one of the worst performers per dollar which would make me apprehensive when it comes to it. Although they could just sit the 1080ti at the previous Titan price point now looking at how its lining up.

Really undecided weather to wait for AMD at this point,1070 performance is really where i wanna be at and id be unsure what AMD would have in that area,and more importantly when it would be available. I had my mind made up to wait and try and see both line ups in full but with the direction thing seem to be going there may be no point.

That's the problem I'm having, like the performance of the 1070 but it is just a bit too much. Make me feel like I should just get the 1080 but that is definitely above my price range. AMD will probably have excellent performance for the price but not quite the performance I want. Looks like I'll have to make a compromise somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

I'm expecting big things from Amd vega this year. Yes it will not be as powerful as nvidea 1080 probably but you never know.
    Wait a month for the prices to drop and for real world feedback on the cards too is my advice. Tough to do ofc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Vega could well be next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Dair76 wrote: »
    Vega could well be next year.

Hopefully not that far away. I believe the high end cards are due this year but that could slip ofc.
    Will have to wait and see. Would lve a new card but have a free sync monitor and the fury isn't much better than a 390x so going to upgrade to that

• Advertisement

Redfox25 wrote: »
    I'm expecting big things from Amd vega this year. Yes it will not be as powerful as nvidea 1080 probably but you never know.
    Wait a month for the prices to drop and for real world feedback on the cards too is my advice. Tough to do ofc

Vega? I'm expecting that to smack the 1080 about personally. I expect it to have a 2Ghz core and HBM for around 1080 money. Ofc we'll then see the 1080ti announced with HBM.

Advertisement