Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia GTX 10xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Dcully wrote: »
    What did you get for the 970? if you don't mine me asking.

I got 250. I probably could have gotten more if I held out a bit but it wouldn't have been much. Also I had multiple people offering me so they are still in demand.

Not bad for a year old card selling for 330 new at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

agVRz3w_460s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Occulus shipping soon, so will go 1070 or 1080. My 980 is sold. Hard decision to follow :) Really had hoped to go AMD this round. Very disappointed Polaris high end was not ready (and awesome).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Bit of an odd one but it's been awhile since I've been on air. How do the AiB coolers work?

Do they force air down on to the card and out the sides or pull air up off the card and exhaust out through the fans?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Praetorian wrote: »
    Occulus shipping soon, so will go 1070 or 1080. My 980 is sold. Hard decision to follow :) Really had hoped to go AMD this round. Very disappointed Polaris high end was not ready (and awesome).

980 is already above the recommended spec for the Rift - why would you go to the bother of upgrading?

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    980 is already above the recommended spec for the Rift - why would you go to the bother of upgrading?

There really isn't an ideal spec for the Rift as even older games like DCS would push an OC'd 1080, let alone something like project cars.

Ideally I'd want everything on - bar one or two things due to the god ray issue on the Rift - and supersample the scene. Some games really benefit from that reducing the already well reduced SDE.

The more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards a 1080 purely for VR.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

With the 1080 delays I was starting to waver and start to consider the 1070 again. Just in time there were Reddit posts reminding me about the super sampling again. Then the 1070 pricing was announced and I was firmly back in the 1080 or bust camp

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Keggers2

So this is probably a stupid question, but do we have any actual clue when the prices are going to start coming down on these things?

I've got to get my computer up and running for work ( playing the Witcher at full spec at 2.5k ) purposes but I really don't want to have to end up paying a dcik load more than I would if I wasn't in a rush to get my computer up and running.

Keggers2 wrote: »
    So this is probably a stupid question, but do we have any actual clue when the prices are going to start coming down on these things?

I've got to get my computer up and running for work ( playing the Witcher at full spec at 2.5k ) purposes but I really don't want to have to end up paying a dcik load more than I would if I wasn't in a rush to get my computer up and running.

We might see a small drop if the Rx480 turns out to be a beast in Xfire, but that's a niche market. We will see a small drop also (to near MSRP) once the initial frenzy is over but I wouldn;t count on a big drop.

Assuming the order goes through CU had G1's (1070) at €465. That's where I recon the price point will settle to until Vega starts leaking IMHO. EVGA have a 1080 at €679 again I expect that to be around the price point for a while.

These cards aren't even out in Europe yet really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Yea holding out for a big price drop is kinda pointless unless you're willing to wait quite a while.
    I'm not seeing as I'm back to using a 670.

I'll probably just take the plunge and grab the msi twin frozr when it's available.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I would imagine prices wont drop until AMD releases their high end card (expected end of July/early August)

So I won't be buying two then :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I guess depends on the sort of shop you are looking to buy from. Again some sites have a dynamic pricing model based on stock levels and demand. Others have put out some pre-order pricing that is subject to change.

I noticed the 1080 pricing settled a bit after week one. The FE stuff really has made things a little different from what I can see. But for a fair amount of 1070 AIB models, they arn't released until nearer the end of the month. I think we will see a price change, both from Nvidia and retailers. I'm gauging a general vibe of the 1070 prices being a bit outragous, and plenty of people holding off

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I'd say you will have to wait until AMD get the 490/490x out and Nvidia release the 1080ti.

It will probably come down to around 500 then but that's a few months away.

I'd be waiting to see what they are like anyway. Knowing AMD they will be much better value. Also proper ASync support. Unlike most DX12 capabilities, ASync is very easy to implement. In unreal engine 4 it's as simple as ticking a box so we should be seeing it in a lot of games.

I'm really leaning towards the EVGA 1080 now. Did anyone get there's ordered (direct) yet and get dates at all? I've just got auto-notify as an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

I ordered on the 28th of May - FTW edition - Hope to get it shipped this week - from reading tweets from the EVGA guys. Probably won't have it till next week.

Nedved85 wrote: »
    I ordered on the 28th of May - FTW edition - Hope to get it shipped this week - from reading tweets from the EVGA guys. Probably won't have it till next week.

Did they have them and sell out, hence the auto notify?

Did they have them and sell out, hence the auto notify?
    Yup - Exactly

Yup - Exactly

:(

Should have come to the conclusion sooner lol. Anyone any idea when they're coming back in?

Not sure - Tweet @EVGA_JacobF and he might respond to you :)

• Advertisement

I read somewhere earlier on (Can't find it now) a somment from an british Evga employee. He said that eu stock will be going to their big partners first (Overclockers..) and the the people who bought from the eu Evga site - The opposite is happening in America. FFS, Why are they doing that - :mad:

I read somewhere earlier on (Can't find it now) a somment from an british Evga employee. He said that eu stock will be going to their big partners first (Overclockers..) and the the people who bought from the eu Evga site - The opposite is happening in America. FFS, Why are they doing that - :mad:

It's the same thing that happened with Oculus. They have legally binding agreements to supply their retailers. Might be built in penalties if they are late. No such consequences if they screw over consumers.

Found that post I was on about: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=29616718#post29616718[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]16[/font]

With that news I've settled on pre-ordering an EVGA model from Overclockers. At least now I can stop thinking about it and let is show up when its ready.

Zillah wrote: »
    With that news I've settled on pre-ordering an EVGA model from Overclockers. At least now I can stop thinking about it and let is show up when its ready.

Damn you! Me too now :D

The Corsair grey and white cooler looks awesome so I've decided to go for a more understated build.

For anyone that's interested 135 EVGA 1080 SC's on pre-order at Overclockers. They're expected on 17th but they don't know how many.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,844 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

For anyone that's interested 135 EVGA 1080 SC's on pre-order at Overclockers. They're expected on 17th but they don't know how many.

Is the only difference between the SC and the regular that they overclock it for you? Not paying an extra €50 for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The GTX980Ti has now dropped to €500 on OCUK.

ShaneU wrote: »
    Is the only difference between the SC and the regular that they overclock it for you? Not paying an extra €50 for that

That and it only looks like the SC is out at launch. I couldn't find the standard version or I'd have gone for it :(

I almost - ALMOST went for the FTW edition lol.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Gave in and bought an MSI 1070 one for 480 delivered.

If anyone fancies a dangerous bunt, the KFA2 Reference Blower ones are now on mindfactory.de for about 450 delivered.

Advertisement