Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia GTX 10xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Gave in and bought an MSI 1070 one for 480 delivered.

If anyone fancies a dangerous bunt, the KFA2 Reference Blower ones are now on mindfactory.de for about 450 delivered.

Overclockers?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Overclockers?

Yeah I asked them how reliable is the stock tracker, they said it will arrive in warehouse this Friday.

On a seperate note, my office buddy bought 2 1080's and they arrived yesterday (FE's). They look pretty great.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Keggers2

Anyone have any experience with the KFA2 cards? Strongly considering their 1080 because it's really looking like the best value proposition at the minute

Keggers2 wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience with the KFA2 cards? Strongly considering their 1080 because it's really looking like the best value proposition at the minute

The EVGA non SC edition is cheaper delivered from EVGA - when they're getting them though is a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Cant make up my mind on whether to splash out on the 1080 or just get the 1070. €850 is a bit much..

Can anybody recommend the best place to buy these? I usually shop komplett but they are slow at getting in stock.

Also from looking at the overclockers site they have a load of different ones and i have no clue which versions are good or better than others, any advice please? :D

• Advertisement

nix wrote: »
    Cant make up my mind on whether to splash out on the 1080 or just get the 1070. €850 is a bit much..

Can anybody recommend the best place to buy these? I usually shop komplett but they are slow at getting in stock.

Also from looking at the overclockers site they have a load of different ones and i have no clue which versions are good or better than others, any advice please? :D

Cheapest one with the cooler and brand you like. There seems to be almost no difference with overclocking leading to rumours of BIOS shenanigans.

****ing YES!!!!

Dear MarkAnthony, Your Order has been packed and is in the process of being shipped.
    Goods Shipped:
    £482.49 x 1 - EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC Gaming ACX 3.0 8192MB GDDR5X PCI-Express Graphics Card (08G-P4-6183-KR)

Goods Shipped By: DPD Two Day.
    Consignment Number: LULZ you're not having that.

You can track the delivery progress of your consignment here

The current status of your delivery will be at the top of the list.

If the above link does not work for you please visit http://www.dpd.co.uk/tracking/tracking.do, type XXX into the consignment number box and click next.

Consignments will be trackable at DPD's website from approximately 8pm on the day of despatch - or 8pm the next working day in the case of weekend or bank holiday despatch.
    If any item is received physically damaged (e.g. cracked or crushed) please advise us as soon as possible. Please keep all packaging and any damaged item(s) for inspection by Overclockers UK.
    Our Address:
    Overclockers UK
    5 Lymedale Cross
    Lower Milehouse Lane
    Newcastle-under-Lyme
    Staffordshire
    ST5 9BT

Opening Hours:
    Mon-Fri 8.30am-5.30pm
    Sat 9am-5pm

Telephone: 01782 444455
    Fax: 01782 565746

Please note we are unable to help you track your order directly until 24 hours after despatch.
    Please remember we do not use email. Our WebNotes are usually answered within 4 business hours with a reply straight to your inbox.
    WebNotes: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/webnote.php
    Thank you for shopping at Overclockers UK - www.overclockers.co.uk
    PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS AUTOMATED EMAIL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

How did you get it so cheap?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That is surely pre-tax price?

Fakman87 wrote: »
    How did you get it so cheap?!?!
    That is surely pre-tax price?

Aye + VAT :(

Going to try and write it off against income tax by giving my tenants a computer I have lying around... :pac:

• Advertisement

I might have made a terrible mistake :pac:

Can 10XX cards do SLI for VR?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

A single 1080 is plenty enough for VR though?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Keggers2 wrote: »

I have one.

It's fine?
    Their OC software doesn't look great though.

Xenoronin wrote: »
    A single 1080 is plenty enough for VR though?

There's never enough GPU horsepower for VR. :pac: We're talking 90 FPS in 5K if you want 2x supersampling. Even the 1080 can only do about 30FPS on 5K. Even if you come down to 1.5x sample it's still less than 50FPS.

That said I'm hopeful of VR optimisations especially on the green team.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

What are the psu requirements for a msi 1070?

Hal1 wrote: »
    What are the psu requirements for a msi 1070?

500W same as the 1080 which uses about 30W more juice. These GPUs have tiny power requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Cheapest one with the cooler and brand you like. There seems to be almost no difference with overclocking leading to rumours of BIOS shenanigans.

so when you refer to cooler, do you recommend going for one with like 2-3 fans on top of it? and stay away from the founders editions with the single fans?

I;m worried about over heating, my friend says the single fans can be crappy

nix wrote: »
    so when you refer to cooler, do you recommend going for one with like 2-3 fans on top of it? and stay away from the founders editions with the single fans?

I;m worried about over heating, my friend says the single fans can be crappy

The 'Founders Edition' cards are more expensive this time around so go with a customer cooler (2 or 3 fans aye). They've never been as bad on nVidia as they were on AMD's side. This generation the blowers are fine if a bit loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

I might have made a terrible mistake :pac:

Can 10XX cards do SLI for VR?

Did you buy two or something? :eek:

To answer the question...not yet...kinda

TRUE VR SLI where each card does an eye each has supposedly been in the drivers since the 9 series but not switched on or certainly not used coded for by any VR games yet.

Regular SLI does increase framerates in games coded for it but it adds latency which is fine for 2D monitor gaming but not VR.

If it were me I'd be sticking with single card for this first VR generation. By the time we have CV2, VR SLI(GPU per EYE) will have matured and games and engines might actually be using it, Ditto for the VR multiprojection and stereo instancing stuff announced with the 10 series. That needs to be incorporated into game code. The true icing on the cake will be eyetracking with foveated rendering. When that comes we could conceivably be playing 2018 level/quality AAA titles on 4K/eye CV2's on our VR SLI 1080's.

I was wondering if I should have gone for 2x 1070s. I'll stick with the 1080 and potential divorce proceedings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I actually have dual 1070's on the way out of curiosity but my balloon was popped when I discovered Doom is a disaster in SLI. Not the be all and end all, but a stark reminder that SLI just has so many headaches and cannot be relied on. A single 1080 is definitely the far better choice I think.

nVidia seem to be really trying to cut back on SLI with rumours of it going completely. I wonder if it'll make a reappearance for each eye in VR. Navi on the other hand say 'scalability' presumable multi-GPU xfire?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Keggers2

I actually have dual 1070's on the way out of curiosity but my balloon was popped when I discovered Doom is a disaster in SLI. Not the be all and end all, but a stark reminder that SLI just has so many headaches and cannot be relied on. A single 1080 is definitely the far better choice I think.

I'll take one off you if the buyer's remorse gets too much :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

My 1080 delivery put back to the 29th :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I just ordered the Inno3D Chill X3 1070... though I'm seeing it saying now expected delivery date is 29th of June. I can't say I'm keen on that. I'd rather be ordering something I'd be getting much sooner than that. Not sure if I should suck it up and wait or cancel tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I think we won't see SLI VR, or at the very least, I hope we never see it. Considering that the cost of VR is already too high, unless you are talking two relatively cheap GPU (I'd actually count the RX 480 in this bracket), it only inflates the cost of entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

superg wrote: »
    My 1080 delivery put back to the 29th :(

Where did you order from?

I ordered directly from EVGA, annoyed that they are putting a preference on their big partners like OCUK.

It better get to me by next week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

On mobile so a pain to copy in links. Was reading some threads on Reddit where retailers have chimmed in on complaints about 1070 price points.

They have outlined that this pricing is coming from a ramp up from Distributors, and the Distributors have advised that Nvidia are having problems with production levels, and have been informed typical stock levels won't arrive until mid to late July.

Some more interesting comment is that it appears Nvidia rushed to market to beat AMD and their attractive pricing point, but to me has shot themselves in the foot here with poor pricing. But it appears that the consensus is pricing will be more accurate and lower on the 1070's especially around the July mark. Many retailers on reddit outlining they have told their Distributors they have no interest in stock at that price point, and will review the situation in July.

Seems to be good sources and good comment. So I might actually hang of the extra month and see if the pricing does drop down. I guess it also provides another few weeks of feedback on a range of AIB's that arn't first shipping until end of June anyway (if they even do ship in June)

Appears some guy from EVGA is also sharing the details on the production issues with the chipset.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Basically standard practice for Nvidia over the last few years though: paper launch, halo products, "whoops all sold out, don't ask us about yields". They've done killer business on the next step down enthusiast and upper range cards, where AMD haven't had the equipment to properly compete and they've got away with rearranging the pricing levels so what used to be the 250-300 bracket is now the 400-500 bracket.

Looks like there'll be some good products from both camps this time round though, albeit at different price points, which is what we want after all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm really surprised that this stuff is (supposedly) on reddit, what with NDAs you might get sued for.

Advertisement