Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia GTX 10xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

More to it than that though. The 480 at the end of the day is an AMD card and while Nvidia has no competitor of its own, many people will prefer to stay with team Green and pick up either 2nd hand or new GTX970's.

The GTX970 is already dropping steadily in price and I think even new they will not be much more than 480's and for reasons like the above will probably continue to sell pretty well.

Assuming the 480 isn't an absolute monster but I don't think it will be - it's on par with 970/980 in synthetics, which aren't a proper indication of real world performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

More to it than that though. The 480 at the end of the day is an AMD card and while Nvidia has no competitor of its own, many people will prefer to stay with team Green and pick up either 2nd hand or new GTX970's.

The GTX970 is already dropping steadily in price and I think even new they will not be much more than 480's and for reasons like the above will probably continue to sell pretty well.

Assuming the 480 isn't an absolute monster but I don't think it will be - it's on par with 970/980 in synthetics, which aren't a proper indication of real world performance.

Not €50 more second hand though :pac:

Still many adverts users live in la la land on both sides as we all know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

No official benchmarks or prices for these amd cards yet. I wouldn't get too excited. I'd bet on average the 480 will be around a 970's performance and will be around €250 for a decent model.

€200-250 is still a fair second hand price for a 970 depending on the model and possible remaining warranty.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

ive a gigabyte g1 970, if I sell it i'll be asking for €240 on adverts which right now I think is fair, my opinion may change of course :D

• Advertisement

ive a gigabyte g1 970, if I sell it i'll be asking for €240 on adverts which right now I think is fair, my opinion may change of course :D

That's the best 970 you can get. I'd be asking for €270 and looking for offers near or above €250.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

If you're lucky. Starting prices are 250 new.

If you're lucky. Starting prices are 250 new.

Not for a G1. Cheapest I've seen is 290 on mindfactory + 20 delivery. If people want to spend 250 on a new crappy stock board/stock cooler model let them go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I wouldn't let it go for less than €250. Its a great card.

• Advertisement

At the end of the day, it's worth what someone will pay for it fair doesn't really (up to a point) come into it. If someone wants it for 250 or a little more, especially now when we don't really know what the performance or price of the 480 will be I'd have at it in all honesty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Bought a second hand 970 a month ago for 250 and I'm delighted i did if I sell it on again later in the year and I get 200 for it it will be still worth it for me. The prices of 1070 will also drop towards end of the year hopefully so it will balance itself out eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

BloodBath wrote: »
    That's the best 970 you can get. I'd be asking for €270 and looking for offers near or above €250.

Guess it goes to show on opinion of value.

I wouldn't pay more then €200 for a second hand 970, regardless of the manufacturer

Separately, the conversion rates for EURO/Sterling is so piss poor at the moment. £389 converting to the guts of €500. May very well end up going with that computerverse place linked previously in the thread for my 1070. Typically fine paying the few €€ more with Amazon and OCUK for the customer service guarantees, but €100 in the diff a bit steep.

Just signed for up in Belfast by Parcel Motel... will probably have to wait until Monday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Just signed for up in Belfast by Parcel Motel... will probably have to wait until Monday :(

You will have it tonight or tomorrow at the latest. They deliver at the weekend too.

Redfox25 wrote: »
    You will have it tonight or tomorrow at the latest. They deliver at the weekend too.

In Cork at the weekend :( We might be delayed leaving LOL - wonder if I can pull a sickie!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I see that site Terror and some others pre-ordered a 1070 have ramped pricing, inno model gone to €489. Had a note on the link I sent myself that it was €433 at the time the link was shared here.

https://www.computeruniverse.net/products/90655329/inno3d-geforce-gtx1070-ichill-x4.asp

This is a bit of a mess from Nvidia if I'm totally honest. Going to hang off definitely until July to see how things settle. I'm 100% getting a 1070, but I'm out of principle not paying inflated prices to mask Nvidias nonsense of rushing to market and not having adequate stock levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Same on Amazon.

One shop seems to have the MSI in stock and are trying to charge £741.63 instead of £629.99.
    Just looking at it going wtf VisionTech2000-UNITED KINGDOM. What the fupping fup!

I'm 100% getting the MSI 1080 X myself but if ye think I'm paying over £100 more for it, you must be smoking some good shiiiit. Pass it this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Videocardz reporting on potential GTX 1060: 6Gb (G)DDR5 on 192-bit bus?

http://videocardz.com/61002/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-to-feature-6gb-192-bit-memory

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

In Cork at the weekend :( We might be delayed leaving LOL - wonder if I can pull a sickie!

I will collect it for you and give it a test run to make sure its working ofc.........

• Advertisement

V-Sync is this only a problem when the frame rate dips below the refresh or are there other issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

OCUK had one of these in stock a few mins ago so i bit the bullet - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1080-g1-gaming-rgb-8192mb-gddr5x-pci-express-graphics-card-gv-n1080g1-gaming-8-gx-184-gi.html

EVGA got back to me about my FTW 1080 - Approx 2 weeks before they will have them!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I saw something lastnight (no link) but stock levels for 10xx cards aren't supposed to stabilise until August at the earliest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

V-Sync is this only a problem when the frame rate dips below the refresh or are there other issues?

Depends entirely on the game, and the type of buffering used, but you might have input lag issues when using V-Sync.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

I saw something lastnight (no link) but stock levels for 10xx cards aren't supposed to stabilise until August at the earliest.

Ohh don't say that. That makes me cry a little. You mean I'm stuck with 660 for feck knows how long?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Nedved85 wrote: »
    OCUK had one of these in stock a few mins ago so i bit the bullet - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1080-g1-gaming-rgb-8192mb-gddr5x-pci-express-graphics-card-gv-n1080g1-gaming-8-gx-184-gi.html

EVGA got back to me about my FTW 1080 - Approx 2 weeks before they will have them!

Ya luckily i had rang them this morning on the off chance. so knew it was coming and got my order in for the Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming before it was up on the website . Should have it mon or tue:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Noxin wrote: »
    Ohh don't say that. That makes me cry a little. You mean I'm stuck with 660 for feck knows how long?

I've been rocking an ultra small formfactor GPU'less mITX with i5 and integrated graphics since 2013. Before that I was using a 2005 era Dell Desktop.

VR is what got me in the market for top end gear again and its a very long time since my Visa card took such a hammering.

I finally received my Oculus Rift on May 28th after a 2 month delay due to component shortages.

Its looking like I won't have a bloody GPU to use it with till July....due to component shortages :D

I fear that Fate does not want me to ever experience VR at this stage. Once I get a shipping email for my GTX1080 I'm going to be very careful to look both ways when crossing the road!! :D

4CoHjZw.jpg

Joking aside, I've been reticent to test the Rift with my brothers old GTX580 because I didn't want to lose my VRginity to a ONS GTX580 but if I have to wait till July for my GPU I may have to, just so I can make sure I didn't get a lemon with broken screens or something and so I could start the Rift RMA while waiting for a GPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Ya luckily i had rang them this morning on the off chance. so knew it was coming and got my order in for the Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming before it was up on the website . Should have it mon or tue:D
    My order has already shipped! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

My order has already shipped! :)

Same :D cant wait:cool:

Gigabyte-GeForce-GTX-1080-G1-GAMING-Graphics-Card.jpg

• Advertisement

When I ordered mine from OCUK they had fired it on to the trailer for it to go. Apparently for years they've had two DPD trailers outside incase they go over one trailer. When I ordered for the first time ever DPD took the wrong (empty trailer).

This card had better hit 3Ghz OC :pac:

Advertisement