Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia GTX 10xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

LOL the drama and price gouging has started on Adverts in earnest I see. So tempted to join in!

Waiting to see if this gets approved. A bit of trolling I grant you although the Ad is genuine for a swap (or sale at the stupid mark up).

Really pissing me off the silly prices on founders editions on adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

X-fire results for RX 480 surface...and they beat a single 1080 in Firestrike. 81% increase over single card performance.

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/amd_rx_480_crossfire_benchmark_results_leak_online/1

Can't wait to see actual game benches with these, but I might actually be convinced to go red team if this holds up...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Cancelled my order for the Asus Strix and ordered a G1 gaming instead. OCUK say I'll defo get it next week. The Strix was "maybe early July". Can't be having that. Shipped to parcel motel for reduced VAT and free shipping too. Winning. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I know the g1 edition were good in the past but it seem like there is no room for performance gains over reference(founders) this time.
    At this stage if I was buying I'd probably get the slightly cheaper founders edition because of stock levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bPZjpBJeSU

• Advertisement

The founders edition cards have been shown to throttle themselves cos the coolers are crap. Not a problem if you are water cooling it of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Waiting to see if this gets approved. A bit of trolling I grant you although the Ad is genuine for a swap (or sale at the stupid mark up).

some of the comments on adverts are gas lol
    Both buyers and sellers living in dreamland it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

tuxy wrote: »
    I know the g1 edition were good in the past but it seem like there is no room for performance gains over reference(founders) this time.
    At this stage if I was buying I'd probably get the slightly cheaper founders edition because of stock levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bPZjpBJeSU

Well the g1 is cheaper than the founders edition and every review ive seen shows 6-7% performance increase over the reference design . Add in that it runs cooler and quieter than the founders edition i really cant see a reason not to get it bar that its not as energy efficient but who cares about that on a desktop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Overclockers.co.uk which is one of the few places that have managed to get stock of non FE cards prices the g1 at 10 more than the FE.

Actually I would usually avoid overclockers because of their prices are not usally very compoetative but the prices for 1070 and 1080 works out very good if you use parcel motel for really cheap shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

He admits he paid €730 for it? Where the **** is he pulling €850 from?

Madness

*Edit* Didn't realise it was your card. Where the hell are you going with it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

superg wrote: »
    Cancelled my order for the Asus Strix and ordered a G1 gaming instead. OCUK say I'll defo get it next week. The Strix was "maybe early July". Can't be having that. Shipped to parcel motel for reduced VAT and free shipping too. Winning. :)

Holding on to my Strix 1080 order with OCUK. Ordered at 10pm on May 27th. While I haven't rung them yet to find my place in the pre-order queue I have a fair idea I'm about 80 or 90 based on others order times and confirmed places in the queue.

Owner Gibbo on their forums says Asus are sending in dribs and drabs. ie. 10 came in thursday, 10 more today, similar expected monday and tuesday.

What I was going to do on Monday was to ring, get a confirmed number and switch my payment option to Visa from 'Pay via Amazon, in case that might have me dropping down the queue.

After reading your bit about Parcel Motel......DOH!!!

Why didn't I think of that!! I guess because I originally intended to order the whole PC from them.

So I'll get them to change the delivery address too. 4% saving is nothing to sniff at. Of course Murphys Law dictates that I'll wake up to en email first thing Monday morning saying my Strix has shipped before I have a chance to call :D I suppose that can also be considered a win though seeing as I am desperate to get my hands on a GPU so I can finally use my May 28th Oculus Rift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Got an email from ComputerUniverse saying that the ichill X4 won't be in stick until 26th June, provisionally.

No update from Mindfactory on my ichill from there either but they've started shipping other stuff seperately.

Calibos wrote: »
    Holding on to my Strix 1080 order with OCUK. Ordered at 10pm on May 27th. While I haven't rung them yet to find my place in the pre-order queue I have a fair idea I'm about 80 or 90 based on others order times and confirmed places in the queue.

Owner Gibbo on their forums says Asus are sending in dribs and drabs. ie. 10 came in thursday, 10 more today, similar expected monday and tuesday.

What I was going to do on Monday was to ring, get a confirmed number and switch my payment option to Visa from 'Pay via Amazon, in case that might have me dropping down the queue.

After reading your bit about Parcel Motel......DOH!!!

Why didn't I think of that!! I guess because I originally intended to order the whole PC from them.

So I'll get them to change the delivery address too. 4% saving is nothing to sniff at. Of course Murphys Law dictates that I'll wake up to en email first thing Monday morning saying my Strix has shipped before I have a chance to call :D I suppose that can also be considered a win though seeing as I am desperate to get my hands on a GPU so I can finally use my May 28th Oculus Rift.

My Strix order was with Scan and they emailed tonight to say 11th of July at the earliest so I cancelled. My head is done in cos I still really want one but OCUK have over 1000 pre orders already so will take them weeks to get through all that.Mindfactory have sold 410 so it'll take them a while too. I've sent an email to cancel the G1 too cos I can't decide on which other one to get, that's 3 cards ordered and cancelled in two weeks.:D I think I'm either going to wait until strix is on the shelf or I'm going with the Gigabyte xtreme which is hopefully in stock next week. But I'll probably change my mind 100 times tomorrow.:mad:

As for Parcel motel, I saw MarkAnthony mention it earlier and its only then I realised I can get the UK vat rate and free shipping by going that route, hadn't thought of it myself even though I use PM loads for stuff! So thank him:D

Pulling it until the 1070s are in, otherwise I'm just being a knob.

That and it's arrived in Parcel motel but I just breathalysed myself and I've still alcohol in my system :( might get on the Bike LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Yeah, I'm the same. Use Parcel Motel for lots of stuff.

Sober, the fact that I've had to do 4 reboots on this stupid 2.5" HDD is killing me! The wife and house mate don't seem impressed with the 3am parcel pick up or computer work :D

A wee bit of choke hiss
    Fan a bit louder than I hoped/card a bit hotter under load but I've a small case
    EVGA Precision tries to be clever with profiles and fails miserably; saving a profile is ridiculously hit and miss

Performance is out of this world but actually not as ridiculous as I thought - staying 1080
    Card looks absolutely awesome!
    Totally silent at idle (fans spin down)
    2000Mhz+, 11Ghz+ with no over voltage.

He admits he paid €730 for it? Where the **** is he pulling €850 from?

Madness

*Edit* Didn't realise it was your card. Where the hell are you going with it :pac:

A combination of cold feet, greed and I have to admit a degree of trolling the people selling FE cards at a ridiculous mark up. I then sobered up and realised that if I was willing to sell my card at a ridiculous mark up, which I was, not only was I being a bellend - which I can live with, I have done for the past 30+ years :pac: - I was being a hypocritical bellend.

I just get annoyed with Adverts, it costs absolutely nothing to do one of two things, ignore silly offers, politely decline them. When someone is gouging the least they can do is be a bit polite about it, some of the other ads had wound me up. Still shouldn't be messing.

I'm gonna stick with the 1080 as actually it will benefit me in VR and actually it's needed with this 3440x1440 display to get 75FPS in some of the games. I'm going to try this high(ish) frame rate malarky and see if I get used to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

It confuses me that they don't add in 3440 x 1440 benchmarks in all of the YouTube Videos - May have to start a channel myself! Which card did you get again? Doesn't seem to be much of a difference between the overclockability of the 1080's from what I can see, my 3440 x 1440 can only achieve 60fps anyway so if I can achieve that easily I'll be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Nedved85 wrote: »
    It confuses me that they don't add in 3440 x 1440 benchmarks in all of the YouTube Videos

To be fair it's a pretty uncommon resolution, same as 2560x1080 - it wouldn't really make much sense to use them as standard benchmarks when they somewhat fall between the cracks of widely recognized standards (1080, 1440p, 4k)

• Advertisement

True, I usually just split the difference between the 1440p and 4k results to get an idea of what an ultrawide monitor would get

Right, Gigabyte Xtreme ordered. Somebody cut my hands off or confiscate my pc so I can't change it again!

Nedved85 wrote: »
    It confuses me that they don't add in 3440 x 1440 benchmarks in all of the YouTube Videos - May have to start a channel myself! Which card did you get again? Doesn't seem to be much of a difference between the overclockability of the 1080's from what I can see, my 3440 x 1440 can only achieve 60fps anyway so if I can achieve that easily I'll be happy.

EVGA 1080 SC only went with it over the standard because of availability. Love it though.

Not sure on overclocking yet. Mine seems to hover around 2050mhz. I don't think it's power limited as it just crashes if I go for 2100 but I haven't (and probably won't) played with voltage.

EVGA 1080 SC only went with it over the standard because of availability. Love it though.

Not sure on overclocking yet. Mine seems to hover around 2050mhz. I don't think it's power limited as it just crashes if I go for 2100 but I haven't (and probably won't) played with voltage.
    What software did you use to overclock? I've never overclocked before, going to do it this time though. I'll have a gigabyte g1 1080, use msi afterburner?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Afterburner is my go to

Gigabyte have their own over clocking software for their cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Its dead Jim

Rob2D wrote: »

Meh, If I'm looking for value I wouldn't be getting a 1080.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

superg wrote: »
    Gigabyte have their own over clocking software for their cards.

Which is terrible iny experience,just go with MSI Afterburner od EVGA's Precision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Advertisement