Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia GTX 10xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Calibos wrote: »
    Holding on to my Strix 1080 order with OCUK. Ordered at 10pm on May 27th. While I haven't rung them yet to find my place in the pre-order queue I have a fair idea I'm about 80 or 90 based on others order times and confirmed places in the queue.

Owner Gibbo on their forums says Asus are sending in dribs and drabs. ie. 10 came in thursday, 10 more today, similar expected monday and tuesday.

What I was going to do on Monday was to ring, get a confirmed number and switch my payment option to Visa from 'Pay via Amazon, in case that might have me dropping down the queue.

After reading your bit about Parcel Motel......DOH!!!

Why didn't I think of that!! I guess because I originally intended to order the whole PC from them.

So I'll get them to change the delivery address too. 4% saving is nothing to sniff at. Of course Murphys Law dictates that I'll wake up to en email first thing Monday morning saying my Strix has shipped before I have a chance to call :D I suppose that can also be considered a win though seeing as I am desperate to get my hands on a GPU so I can finally use my May 28th Oculus Rift.

i was waiting for strix aswell when i rang i was told it would be 1st week in july when they would be in and that they were already sold . so could be waiting a while . thats why i switched to Gigabyte G1 Gaming 1080 . which you can still change the led colours on if thats what you want

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

EoinHef wrote:
    Which is terrible iny experience,just go with MSI Afterburner od EVGA's Precision

Always did the job for me. Has all the features you'd expect. That said I've never had a card by anyone else so never used their efforts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I agree, Afterburner is really the go to option.

Also that Gigabyte hybrid looks gaudy and tacky as hell, to be fair! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

So, Overclockers list dates under pre-order as far as July 1 for some of them (Asus in that example), but still no date for the EVGAs, one of which I've pre-ordered. Should I be worried that it will be later than that?

There's a thread on their forum about the 1080s. I'd keep an eye on that. Their staff keep it updated regarding stock due dates and the like.

• Advertisement

superg wrote: »
    There's a thread on their forum about the 1080s. I'd keep an eye on that. Their staff keep it updated regarding stock due dates and the like.

I found a thread with 92 pages of confusion. I think I'll just ring them on Monday and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Keggers2

Sooo I've decided to take the plunge and order a 1070 tomorrow.

I need it in a hurry so what I'm wondering is which is my quickest combo (website and specific card) for getting it ordered and in my PC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Keggers2 wrote: »
    Sooo I've decided to take the plunge and order a 1070 tomorrow.

I need it in a hurry so what I'm wondering is which is my quickest combo (website and specific card) for getting it ordered and in my PC?

I'd guess EVGA and OCUK but it won't be quick. Quickest way is going to be a founder edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Keggers2

I'd guess EVGA and OCUK but it won't be quick. Quickest way is going to be a founder edition.

Oh for folk's sake. At this point I'm actually tempted to get something like a 390X now that they're in free fall and sell it on later

My whole thing is VRAM because I do whole bunch of rendering of 4K footage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

If you can push it to a 1080 you might find EVGA's in stock with OCUK, that's where (and why :pac:) I got mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I really cant decide what to do at this point,ive started the process of selling my current gpu so ill be without one soon. Im going to use some of that time to do a clean install of windows 10 and clean up all my storage drives and have everything nice clean and organised for W10 and a new gpu.

Problem for me is that the 1070 and 1080(in particular) came in about €100 higher than i thought they would be. I realise the performance is there but looking at the two the 1080 is the one to buy value wise too IMO but my budget only really stretches to 1070 territory. And with little(read nothing) in that price range from AMD to compete im in a bit of limbo. Either break bank amd get 1080 or buy a 1070 and pay a premium for a product that i know isnt the best value i could be getting. Also could wait for AMD but at this point they may be too far away for me.

Definition of first world problems this really........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

I'm still set on my MSI 1080 Gaming X but this wait it killing me. :(

Zillah wrote:
    I found a thread with 92 pages of confusion. I think I'll just ring them on Monday and see.

Would be easier but yeah that's the right thread. Just do a search in it for Gibbos posts. He's the owner, he's the one who knows the score.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Zillah wrote: »

LOL I saw that thread and was thinking the same!

If you do ring them, post what they say as I would also be interested in finding out. I have a EVGA SC preordered with them and still no sign of it. Ordered it on May 30th... at this rate when I eventually get it, it will already be out of date :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Update from Gibbo on OCUK:
    Hi there

Here is what were expecting this week:

Asus 1080 FE - 100pc (plenty available)
    Asus 1070 FE - 100+ (plenty available)
    Asus 1080 Strix OC - Upto 50pc throughout this week, fulfilling backorders only.
    Asus 1070 Strix OC - Maybe 50pc by end of week but unlikely

EVGA 1080 FE - 100+ (plenty available)
    EVGA 1080 SC - Maybe 50 late this week and fulfilling backorders
    EVGA 1080 FTW - Early July
    EVGA 1070 FE - 200 this week, stock available
    EVGA 1070 SC - Unknown
    EVGA 1070 FTW - July

Gainward FE - Plenty available now
    Gainward Pheonix - NO ETA
    Gainward GS - 10 today/tomorrow, stock available
    Gainward GLH - 10 today/tomorrow, all pre-sold
    Gainward 1070 FE - This week!
    Gainward GS/GLH - Maybe late this week!

Gigabyte 1080 FE - Plenty in stock
    Gigabyte 1080 G1 - Around 100 this week, plenty available
    Gigabyte 1080 Extreme - Late / early next week
    Gigabyte 1080 Extreme PP - 20 this week, nearly all pre-sold
    Gigabyte 1070 FE - 1000 this week, plenty available!!
    Gigabyte 1070 G1 - 100 this week, plenty available!!

Inno3D 1080 FE - 20pc this week, available.
    Inno3D 1080 X3 - 10-20pc this week hopefully, all pre-sold
    Inno3D 1080 X4 - 20pc this week, available.

KFA 1080 blower - 100pc next week, available
    KFA 1080 EX OC - 50pc next week, all pre-sold
    KFA 1080 HOF - Early July
    KFA 1070 blower - 1000pc next week, loads available
    KFA 1070 EX OC - July
    KFA 1070 HOF - July

MSI 1080 FE - Plenty in stock
    MSI 1080 Aero - End this week, all pre-sold
    MSI 1080 Armour - End of this week, all pre-sold
    MSI Gaming X - Any day this week, all some left for free stock
    MSI Sea Hawk EK - IN STOCK EXCLUSIVELY AT OcUK RIGHT NOW!
    MSI 1070 FE - In stock, more en-route
    MSI 1070 Aero - End of week, some available
    MSI 1070 Armour - End of week, some available
    MSI 1070 Gaming X - 500pc this week, plenty available

Palit all models, very small amount next week, all pre-sold
    PNY - Some next week

Zotac 1080 FE - Plenty in stock, 5yr warranty, best FE card to buy!!!
    Zotac 1080 AMP - 20-50pc due this week, all pre-sold!!
    Zotac 1080 Xtreme - July
    Zotac 1070 FE - This week hopefully
    Zotac 1070 AMP - Next week!
    Zotac 1070 Xtreme - July

If I missed any cards just asked, but I think I covered them all, all manufacturers worked 24/7 over the weekend producing and shipping cards, so we hope by the end of this week a lot of backorders shall be cleared and cards in stock.

If I missed anything just ask guys, but because OcUK has more brands and SKU's listed than any competitor it is hard to keep up, the advantage however is were getting more than double the stock, even triple compared to our other big competitors.

Infact I do not have it confirmed but I believe OcUK is the no.1 reseller in whole of Europe for 1080, which is an achievement I am very proud off because UK TAM is a lot smaller than some of our European competitors.

Tears of joy!

Noxin wrote: »
    Update from Gibbo on OCUK:
    <X> 1080 FE - 100+ (plenty available)

Tears of joy!

See a theme here...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

That could just be because most people know buying the Founder's card is stupid though.

Serephucus wrote: »
    That could just be because most people know buying the Founder's card is stupid though.

Well I'd understand buying a reference card if it you needed a blower style cooler or size for the form factor of the case or if you planned to just put a waterblock on it anyway.
    But they are, on average €60-70 dearer for a louder/non factory overclocked version?... over a month later and I still don't get nvidia's reasoning here.

I think it's just a rather insidious way of raising profit margins.

(I assume, though I could be entirely wrong here) NVIDIA gets a cut of the AIB profits, probably percentage-based, and everyone knew going in that FE cards being +$100 would mean prices over the whole range would rise. This way NVIDIA can still say "And this card is only $599!" but in reality reap much more than this because no-one is actually selling cards near that price.

(Called it)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Originally Posted by Furyio View Post
    @Gibbo

Anyone information on

Inno3D 1070 X3
    Inno3D 1070 X4

Response
    Later this week, but realistically I expect deliveries in around two weeks on those. Inno3D have plenty of coolers, but not so many GPUs due to short shipments and late deliveries from NVIDIA on the GPU.

Still €500. Will see what the price looks like when they actually get stock, but still likely to hold off longer. I've noticed a lot of EU sites ramping the price on these cards up to the €500 mark, and that might well be down to UK pricing done by the likes of OCUK.

• Advertisement

I think it's just a rather insidious way of raising profit margins.

(I assume, though I could be entirely wrong here) NVIDIA gets a cut of the AIB profits, probably percentage-based, and everyone knew going in that FE cards being +$100 would mean prices over the whole range would rise. This way NVIDIA can still say "And this card is only $599!" but in reality reap much more than this because no-one is actually selling cards near that price.

(Called it)

I'd imagine now in hindsight, the FE cards were a way to ramp % margins up from their rushed release and short supply. Those sales would tie over the enthusiasts and "must have day one" people, as AIB cards slowly trickle out afterwards.

FE was just more Nvidia nonsense. I'm actually a bit annoyed I'm buying a 1070. I dislike Nvidia and most of their schemes and tactics. But having going with a Gsync monitor I guess I'm pot committed now. And I've been AMD for a long time, so want to taste the other side and see what the fuss is about. But so far, pretty annoying and expensive...

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'd imagine now in hindsight, the FE cards were a way to ramp % margins up from their rushed release and short supply. Those sales would tie over the enthusiasts and "must have day one" people, as AIB cards slowly trickle out afterwards.

FE was just more Nvidia nonsense. I'm actually a bit annoyed I'm buying a 1070. I dislike Nvidia and most of their schemes and tactics.

This, unfortunately. I wish AMD had something that could compete with the 1080, because NVIDIA is really starting to piss me off with the shít they're pulling, being so comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

This, unfortunately. I wish AMD had something that could compete with the 1080, because NVIDIA is really starting to piss me off with the shít they're pulling, being so comfortable.

You could buy dual 480s ;)

FE was just more Nvidia nonsense. I'm actually a bit annoyed I'm buying a 1070. I dislike Nvidia and most of their schemes and tactics. But having going with a Gsync monitor I guess I'm pot committed now.

Exact same boat, which was why I went for a 1080.

Still hope AMD release something that will atleast challenge the 1080 as otherwise we can only expect similar crap when the next generation rolls around.

Time to bail from the EVGA ship it would seem!

EDIT: To be clear I am cancelling my 1070 EVGA model which has no expected date, and ordering a Gigabyte 1070 G1 instead, which they say there are plenty of available. Make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

By the looks of it Nvidia was hoping way more people would hop on the FE train... and I'd say that's why there's such a backlog with all the AIB cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

AMD probably will have something that will compete to with 5% of the 1080 for 15% less cost but when that happens Nvidea will drop the 1080ti for 10% more horsepower and 30% more cost and folks will lap it up.

Its a pity there are no other players in the game to shake things up a bit more.

Redfox25 wrote: »
    AMD probably will have something that will compete to with 5% of the 1080 for 15% less cost but when that happens Nvidea will drop the 1080ti for 10% more horsepower and 30% more cost and folks will lap it up.

Its a pity there are no other players in the game to shake things up a bit more.

By all accounts that card won't even arrive to market until next year which as you say, is a pity.

Probably like most now that I've made the decisions "I want something" it's been only Nvidias total bundling that has stopped me buying day one, and keeps having me hang off and hang off.

But I wouldn't be waiting a year for an AMD competitive card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

By all accounts that card won't even arrive to market until next year which as you say, is a pity.

Probably like most now that I've made the decisions "I want something" it's been only Nvidias total bundling that has stopped me buying day one, and keeps having me hang off and hang off.

But I wouldn't be waiting a year for an AMD competitive card.

I wouldnt be suprised if we see the competing AMD card come out this year in OCT ish as this is a decent PR chance for AMD as NVIDEA seem to have miscalculated the market a bit, ie pushing more FE cards out and giving less stock to the AIB partners thus creating a delay in supply.

I can see the headline, "AMD , when we say we are releasing the card, you will be able to buy it, not like our competitor with several weeks delays expected"

Similar to the campaign, "When we say 4gb VRAM you get 4gb VRAM"

Could be funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Redfox25 wrote: »
    I wouldnt be suprised if we see the competing AMD card come out this year in OCT ish as this is a decent PR chance for AMD as NVIDEA seem to have miscalculated the market a bit, ie pushing more FE cards out and giving less stock to the AIB partners thus creating a delay in supply.

You'd wonder is it really miscalculation, or are they trying to force peoples hands who are impatient and willing to pay just to get the card ASAP

Advertisement