Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia GTX 10xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

You'd wonder is it really miscalculation, or are they trying to force peoples hands who are impatient and willing to pay just to get the card ASAP

Its a good question actually. Some folks will pay anything for something new and shiny, which if we are being honest, the new cards are. They are super powerful and much better than the older cards.

It might also be an attempt to force up the market price for this segment as they know AMD wont have a card* to compete for another few months so make lots of money in the meantime.

*I know that the 480CF will compete on paper with the 1080 for less cash but CF rarely works as well as it should/could in gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Its a good question actually. Some folks will pay anything for something new and shiny, which if we are being honest, the new cards are. They are super powerful and much better than the older cards.

It might also be an attempt to force up the market price for this segment as they know AMD wont have a card* to compete for another few months so make lots of money in the meantime.

*I know that the 480CF will compete on paper with the 1080 for less cash but CF rarely works as well as it should/could in gaming.

From a PR/marketing perspective Nvidia have played a blinder. They got the info out at the press conference about the power and power consumption of the new GPU's along with all the driver/software goodness like better VR performance, screenshot ability, VR/3D sound and better multi-monitor support.

They have set themselves up for the future as a hardware vendor for the FE cards and at a premium to boot. They have increased the pricing for their mid range to mid high end tier products which sucks for us consumers but great for them as a business. The scarcity of both FE and AIB cards and there prices sucks balls but has generated tons of buzz.

The only screwup I can see is their flip flopping around SLI support for more than 2 cards.

AMD on the other hand have made a mess of things so far by saying bugger all and will leave tons of people disappointed when the dust has settled I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,844 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Just checked my emails, 2 hours ago EVGA had the 1080 sc in stock, gone now :(

1070 founders edition is still there for anyone interested http://eu.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-6170-KR

They're selling their basic acx card at just €10 below the founders.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Keggers2 wrote:
    My whole thing is VRAM because I do whole bunch of rendering of 4K footage

What about a 980ti?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

What about a 980ti?

Still 'only' 6GB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Keggers2

Aaah the 980tis are now pretty much the same price as the 1070s, and if I'm gonna get the 980ti, I'd be as well shilling out at the inflated price of the 1070 yenno?

Whereas with a 390/X I don't feel like I'm getting my arm quite as twisted

EDIT*...is that absolutely daft logic?

Keggers2 wrote: »
    Aaah the 980tis are now pretty much the same price as the 1070s, and if I'm gonna get the 980ti, I'd be as well shilling out at the inflated price of the 1070 yenno?

Whereas with a 390/X I don't feel like I'm getting my arm quite as twisted

EDIT*...is that absolutely daft logic?

Well the 1070 offers 980Ti performance and all the features of the new Nvidia software which may or may not work on older cards but I wouldn't bet on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Zillah wrote: »
    980 is already above the recommended spec for the Rift - why would you go to the bother of upgrading?

My screen is a 34 inch 3440 x 1440 monster, so I could do with the extra horse power. Got a good price for my 980. Also I'm not sensible :)

1070 is faster than the 980ti and uses less power, I wouldn't buy a 980ti now even it was the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Praetorian wrote: »
    1070 is faster than the 980ti and uses less power, I wouldn't buy a 980ti now even it was the same price.
    Neither would I. The resell value of a 980 Ti in say, a year would likely not compare very well to the 1070 you'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Praetorian wrote: »
    My screen is a 34 inch 3440 x 1440 monster, so I could do with the extra horse power. Got a good price for my 980. Also I'm not sensible :)

The display size doesn't make any difference, in fact 34" is a useless size for using as a PC monitor, its far too big. You would either have to move your head around or move the screen way back. For gaming, a complete waste of money. It would be ok for driving games or for Fifa, but for FPS its no use.

• Advertisement

The display size doesn't make any difference, in fact 34" is a useless size for using as a PC monitor, its far too big. You would either have to move your head around or move the screen way back. For gaming, a complete waste of money. It would be ok for driving games or for Fifa, but for FPS its no use.

I couldn't disagree more. The sense of immersion is excellent, it's better for day to day work and you can always use it as a 2560x1440p if you want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I couldn't disagree more. The sense of immersion is excellent, it's better for day to day work and you can always use it as a 2560x1440p if you want to.

Immersion is better, but performance gaming is not. Reducing it to 2560 is a decent enough idea though, although sort of wasteful at the same time. Its great for movie watching though. Biggest issue is FPS is not high enough, 60hz is old school these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

100Hz 3440x1440 panels are availabler, with 144Hz variants on the way.

Immersion is better, but performance gaming is not. Reducing it to 2560 is a decent enough idea though, although sort of wasteful at the same time. Its great for movie watching though. Biggest issue is FPS is not high enough, 60hz is old school these days.

It's entirely subjective to the user. I run my panel at 80Hz and I've seen 100Hz panels, it makes little to no difference to me.

There is no one size/refresh fits all for monitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Zen 2nd

It's entirely subjective to the user. I run my panel at 80Hz and I've seen 100Hz panels, it makes little to no difference to me.

There is no one size/refresh fits all for monitors.

Yeah I run 3440x1440 at 100Hz myself and I find it brilliant. Though my screen is curved so easier to see it all at once.

What a ridiculous comment. You do realise that not everyone plays their games sat inches from the monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

What a ridiculous comment. You do realise that not everyone plays their games sat inches from the monitor.

It doesn't really matter though. If you're talking about competitive FPS games, you want as little head/eye movement as possible. The bigger the screen you're actually shooting yourself in the foot tbh. It means your HUD/radar/etc get moved way off centre and you have to take your eyes off the important area of the screen (where your crosshair is) to check them which means slower reaction times, which probably means death.

It doesn't really matter though. If you're talking about competitive FPS games, you want as little head/eye movement as possible. The bigger the screen you're actually shooting yourself in the foot tbh. It means your HUD/radar/etc get moved way off centre and you have to take your eyes off the important area of the screen (where your crosshair is) to check them which means slower reaction times, which probably means death.

Except he stated that it's no good for gaming (as a whole) except maybe FIFA or Driving.
    How many people are competitive FPSers?
    I, for example, hate them. Load of ****.

Love being able to sit back comfortably and play.
    Fighting games, soorts, 3rd person, open world, sim games all feel more relaxed to me in larger screen

Except he stated that it's no good for gaming (as a whole) except maybe FIFA or Driving.

Fighting games, soorts, 3rd person, open world, sim games all feel more relaxed to me in larger screen

two videos going... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Depends what your primary "gaming" is, I guess. In fairness he did stipulate FPS games later in the post...and not everyone loves walking simulators :pac:

I'm unsure what to go for myself. I'm only using a 27" 1080p 60hz and I've no intention of upgrading any time soon, so I'm well aware even a 970 would suffice... but damn the allure of a 1070 has me interested. Especially because it's a whole new rig...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 LWGDion

Hello, I am going to buy a 1070 soon but I am not sure which one to get. Can anyone give me some recommendations on which one to get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

LWGDion wrote: »
    Hello, I am going to buy a 1070 soon but I am not sure which one to get. Can anyone give me some recommendations on which one to get?

Depends on a few factors. Do you want a pre-overcolcked one? Is quiet computing important? Aesthetics? How good is your case airflow? Etc etc.

LWGDion wrote: »

Well seeing as Pascal doesn't seem to be as great as previous generations for overclocking and the difference between cheapest to most expensive AIB card tends to be just a few fps, I reckon you should look up reviews of the lower end AIB cards and pick the one with the quietest fans unless you really need to match the colors of your card to the rest of your system.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 LWGDion

Venom wrote: »
    Well seeing as Pascal doesn't seem to be as great as previous generations for overclocking and the difference between cheapest to most expensive AIB card tends to be just a few fps, I reckon you should look up reviews of the lower end AIB cards and pick the one with the quietest fans unless you really need to match the colors of your card to the rest of your system.

OK I will have a look at them. Thanks for the help

Venom wrote: »

+1 there's very little to chose between them in terms of the actual unit.

The 1070s *might* be a different story as you've more work to do to get them to 2Ghz but really you're not going to see one card much better than the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

KFA2 / Galax are actually quite a decent brand, despite also being cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,272 ✭✭✭emo72

http://eu.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-6286-KR

lads if i order from this site do i get hit for import tax and duty? its the euro version of the site, but not sure where its shipped from.

emo72 wrote: »
    http://eu.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-6286-KR

lads if i order from this site do i get hit for import tax and duty? its the euro version of the site, but not sure where its shipped from.

Germany so you might see a few % (4% IIRC) added on but scroll up the thread for discussion on EVGA availability. Also, practically speaking, the only reason to go for the FTW over the SC version is purely the RGB LEDs.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

My MSI 1070 is in Athlone depo HYYYPEEE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Things have a funny way of working out.

I was selling an Airsoft rifle to fund originally an IPad, then kicked that idea for a GFX. Typically Airsoft sales can be slow tedious affairs for some quality stuff I sell. Thankfully a wonderful individual is buying something in full, everything included. And that sale in my head was to fund a 1070.

So might well be pulling the trigger on mine next week, and not overly fussy about waiting on the prices to settle.

Advertisement