Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia GTX 10xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Zen 2nd wrote: »
    It's entirely subjective to the user. I run my panel at 80Hz and I've seen 100Hz panels, it makes little to no difference to me.

There is no one size/refresh fits all for monitors.

Yeah I run 3440x1440 at 100Hz myself and I find it brilliant. Though my screen is curved so easier to see it all at once.
    Will a 1080 really achieve 100hz on 3440 x 1440?? I had a 980ti and that could not achieve 60fps on Rainbow Six maxed out . Had to turn a few things down. Will test my new 1080 when i have it (Waiting on Parcel motel). I know some of the specs on my system are older (CPU, RAM & MB) but I dont think they are too much of a bottleneck.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,844 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

EVGA have removed the €679 1080 from their store altogether, unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    KFA2 / Galax are actually quite a decent brand, despite also being cheap.

Many people on here recommend that people avoid this brand without any evidence as to why. From reading other forums I hear nothing but good stories about their quality of card and customer service.
    If anyone has any real details as to why KFA2 should be avoided I'd be very interested to hear why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Will a 1080 really achieve 100hz on 3440 x 1440?? I had a 980ti and that could not achieve 60fps on Rainbow Six maxed out . Had to turn a few things down. Will test my new 1080 when i have it (Waiting on Parcel motel). I know some of the specs on my system are older (CPU, RAM & MB) but I dont think they are too much of a bottleneck.

You have to bear in mind I play very CPU intensive games but I was doing some testing on Doom with everything on mental (AA down a bit as it's just not needed) it was flying through I think I was topping out at 120+FPS. These 1080s are mental but boy do they run hot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Do you have the FE, MarkAnthony?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

You have to bear in mind I play very CPU intensive games but I was doing some testing on Doom with everything on mental (AA down a bit as it's just not needed) it was flying through I think I was topping out at 120+FPS. These 1080s are mental but boy do they run hot!

doom runs very well on most cards right?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

NVIDIA conference is on this weekend. Few relatively well known retailers indicating they have arranged meets with Nvidia reps to discuss the production levels issue and basically get some straight answers on stock levels.

One or two insinuating they will be pushing Nvidia to be transparent about stock levels to customers.

Dair76 wrote: »
    Do you have the FE, MarkAnthony?

EVGA 1080 SC. I try and keep it about 2000Mhz but in my tiny case with fans where you can count the RPM it tends to sit more around the high 1800s to low 1900s; memory is at 11Ghz.

Yep.

Edit: Some very brief testing in FO4 with everything on Ultra (FXAA and Godrays High) 3440x1440p = 80ish to 100+ FPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Zen 2nd

Nedved85 wrote:
    Will a 1080 really achieve 100hz on 3440 x 1440??

All depends on the game that is being played. I've got 100fps on Doom but I've yet to take note of the fps I'm getting on other games I'm playing. I'll check on Battlefield 4 and Rainbow Six: Siege by the end of the week.

From looking at various benchmark reviews looks like it should be able to get 80 to 100 fps if the game is optimised well enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I think DOOM even has adaptive-resolution on PC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Keggers2

Sooo I've decided I'm getting the 1070, fcuk it like!

Anyone here rocking one with a 3440x1440 display? Not because I have one now or anything, just because it's the next thing on the shopping list (some time in 2076 :P ) Would be interested to see how it drives that resolution

Keggers2 wrote: »

Anyone here rocking one with a 3440x1440 display? Not because I have one now or anything, just because it's the next thing on the shopping list (some time in 2076 :P ) Would be interested to see how it drives that resolution

See above :D

How much are people paying for these cards (1070)? Are the distributors still gouging ?

My wife has basically ordered me to upgrade (I must have done good) but I'm not paying over the odds for one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Keggers2 wrote: »

Should do the job fine - Going by my experience with a 980ti you won't be able to max the likes of Rainbow 6, Project Cars or BF4 to reach 60FPS. Just have to tweak a few of the settings to reach that but it still looks brilliant - go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

How much are people paying for these cards (1070)? Are the distributors still gouging ?

My wife has basically ordered me to upgrade (I must have done good) but I'm not paying over the odds for one

you lucky SOB :P all I'm getting is "but do you really need all that?".....Yes i do damn it

you lucky SOB :P all I'm getting is "but do you really need all that?".....Yes i do damn it

Even better is she threw money into the upgrade kitty

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

ah now thats just making me fecking jealous

I think the general price point appears to be €480 - 550 at the moment depending on where you order from and what variant you go with.

Indications appear to be pricing will settle once stock levels get appropriate around mid July.

TheDoc wrote: »
    I think the general price point appears to be €480 - 550 at the moment depending on where you order from and what variant you go with.

Indications appear to be pricing will settle once stock levels get appropriate around mid July.

€450 and I'm pulling the trigger.

I only have 1 pcie slot so two AMDs is not an option

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Have current gpu provisionally sold and also a motherboard cpu combo after finally giving up on my game server dream,domt have time or cash for it currently so im shelving it for the moment.

So ill be picking up a new gpu soon,unsure to hold off a little longer and get cash together for the 1080 or just say f*k it and get a 1070.

Ill be without a gpu now though which probably means a 1070 once i get pissed off not be able to play on PC!

• Advertisement

€450 and I'm pulling the trigger.

I only have 1 pcie slot so two AMDs is not an option

I think right now you can get "some" 1070's for €450, the like of Galax, Gainward etc. Granted I keep gauging my pricing from OCUK and Amazon as I don't shop anywhere else.

There is likely some other stores knocking about that do Euro prices direct, but even some links I had shared that had a good pre-order price last week, have all had prices increases as it comes closer to those retailers actually selling their cards.

I'm not sure what merit there is in shopping around considering stock is so low, and there is a few retailers absorbing most of the stock.

Considering the second hand sale I'm about to make, and then recouping €100-150 for my R9 290, I'll probably just go for the card I want now, even knowing I'd save a good amount of money if I wait until July or August.

I' guess I'm feeding right into the major problem with Nvidia.

Results of Brexit could mean massive slump in Sterling tomorrow (if they vote to leave)

Results of Brexit could mean massive slump in Sterling tomorrow (if they vote to leave)

Well wouldn't that be great, but pretty sure they will end up voting remain

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

TheDoc wrote: »
    I' guess I'm feeding right into the major problem with Nvidia.

Feeling the same way,but not sure what can be done looking at the timetables for release and AMD's new dedication to the mid/low end,thats not really great for anyone looking at the higher end right now. Ill probably have bought something by the time AMD has card in the performance range im looking for.

Guy picked up my 970 just there,probably a bad idea as im now gpu less and probably gonna be potential for late night drinkin gpu purchases.....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

My 1070 arrived. I will do a stress test later to measure temps. I have this small case so temps will be interesting on this single fan blower.

Anyone want me to specific benching?
    My rig:
    i5 4690k @ 4ghz
    16gb ram
    W10

389657.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Interested to hear how it sounds under load. People generally don't have many nice things to say about blower type cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Even better is she threw money into the upgrade kitty

I hate to break it to you, but your wife is having an affair and this is the easiest way for her to make sure you aren't noticing.:pac:

I hate to break it to you, but your wife is having an affair and this is the easiest way for her to make sure you aren't noticing.:pac:

She gets her entertainment, I get mine
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

My 1070 arrived. I will do a stress test later to measure temps. I have this small case so temps will be interesting on this single fan blower.

Anyone want me to specific benching?
    My rig:
    i5 4690k @ 4ghz
    16gb ram
    W10

389657.jpg
    Witcher 3
    DOOM
    Overwatch at medium :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

ARK ;)