Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia GTX 10xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

All of the games...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Don't have ARK, can check the rest, temp and noise under load.

Honestly I dont expect same benches as the G1s etc given the cooler etc. It's a pretty solid fan though upon inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

A weird one: Space Engineers.

It's horribly optimised - particularly on planets - but I'd be interested to see what it does with 8GB of VRAM to play with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Honestly I dont expect same benches as the G1s etc given the cooler etc. It's a pretty solid fan though upon inspection.

It will be all down to how good the gpu is. If it's a good chip it will bench as good if not better than a G1. The blower cooler don't seem to have any problem cooling the 1070 it will just make more noise while doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Half life and arkham asylum please. :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

minecraft...

I know the price is a bit of a rip off but I couldn't live with low/medium textures any longer so upgraded from a 770 2gb to a 1070 FE which arrived today. Big boost in fps and high benchmark scores. I have it running at 2 ghz with 65% fan speed, yes it's fairly loud but I can't hear it with my headphones on which is how I always game.

Only one problem, I have a 144hz monitor and in more demanding games I'm getting low gpu usage.
    The most extreme example is doom in the more open areas, 40% gpu usage while my 4.8ghz 2500k is pegged at 100%.
    Still about 50-60 fps but that's not great when you get used to 100hz+
    Time for a skylake build? The 2500k has served me well for the past 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

tuxy wrote: »
    I know the price is a bit of a rip off but I couldn't live with low/medium textures any longer so upgraded from a 770 2gb to a 1070 FE which arrived today. Big boost in fps and high benchmark scores. I have it running at 2 ghz with 65% fan speed, yes it's fairly loud but I can't hear it with my headphones on which is how I always game.

Only one problem, I have a 144hz monitor and in more demanding games I'm getting low gpu usage.
    The most extreme example is doom in the more open areas, 40% gpu usage while my 4.8ghz 2500k is pegged at 100%.
    Still about 50-60 fps but that's not great when you get used to 100hz+
    Time for a skylake build? The 2500k has served me well for the past 5 years.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-is-it-finally-time-to-upgrade-your-core-i5-2500k

Perfect article for you, seeing as 1070 is around Titan X performance.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-is-it-finally-time-to-upgrade-your-core-i5-2500k

Perfect article for you, seeing as 1070 is around Titan X performance.

Yeah that's an interesting article especially after all that's been said about memory speed not making a difference for gaming on modern intel CPUs.
    The memory I have now is slow, 1333mhz.
    The 3770k does very well with better memory and makes me wish I had gone for a 2600k 5 year ago but at that point in time i7 and fast memory was considered a big waste of money for gaming.
    I don't think it's worth paying the going rate of €270 for a 3770k when you combine the costs of 3770k+new memory it's fairly close to the cost of the skylake upgrade.
    I just wish intel had made more progress in the last few years, 25-30% IPC gain will be the smallest cpu upgrade I've ever done but it seems necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Yeah that's an interesting article especially after all that's been said about memory speed not making a difference for gaming on modern intel CPUs.
    The memory I have now is slow, 1333mhz.
    The 3770k does very well with better memory and makes me wish I had gone for a 2600k 5 year ago but at that point in time i7 and fast memory was considered a big waste of money for gaming.
    I don't think it's worth paying the going rate of €270 for a 3770k when you combine the costs of 3770k+new memory it's fairly close to the cost of the skylake upgrade.
    I just wish intel had made more progress in the last few years, 25-30% IPC gain will be the smallest cpu upgrade I've ever done but it seems necessary.

Wait for Zen maybe? Doesn't make sense buying another quad core just for a slight IPC gain and HT. 8 cores / 16 threads sounds a lot better.

• Advertisement

BloodBath wrote: »
    Wait for Zen maybe? Doesn't make sense buying another quad core just for a slight IPC gain and HT. 8 cores / 16 threads sounds a lot better.

I thought the latest news on zen was a delay until 2017?
    What do I do about 40% gpu usage until then?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I thought the latest news on zen was a delay until 2017?
    What do I do about 40% gpu usage until then?

Get the fastest RAM speeds your motherboard can handle and/or new SSD?

Also, what GPU usage are you seeing in other games? DOOM might be an anomaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Oh I hadn't heard that. That's a bit too long then. I'm surprised it's bottle necking it that much tbh.

Also those benchmarks are surprising. When did RAM speed start making such large differences in performance with dedicated cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think the ram is playing a major factor here. The last CPU I played Doom on was an i5-3570 at stock speed and I was getting a solid 60-70fps at 1440p ultra with almost full gpu usage on a GTX970.

At 4.8Ghz you should not be getting 50fps.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Get the fastest RAM speeds your motherboard can handle and/or new SSD?

Also, what GPU usage are you seeing in other games? DOOM might be an anomaly.

50%-60% usage in gta5 and about 70-80% usage in dying light I get 99% usage in the witcher 3 until I enter novigrad then it drops big time. Still very acceptable frame rates but that's not the full story. With such high frame rates comes high frame latency so games seem to stutter slightly.
    With faster ram I may get better fps but what about frame latency?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Min temp on idle: 33, reached 77 on max load
    Witcher 3 about 100fps completely maxed out
    Overwatch medium - 180fps, maxed out about 140-150fps

Will test more tomorrow

I think the ram is playing a major factor here. The last CPU I played Doom on was an i5-3570 at stock speed and I was getting a solid 60-70fps at 1440p ultra with almost full gpu usage on a GTX970.

At 4.8Ghz you should not be getting 50fps.

Well I have it set to ultra so that may have some cpu setting that are taxing the cpu even further. My average fps is probably 90 fps but drops from 120 to 50 are really noticeable.
    I've no doubt if I was to aim for a steady 60-70 fps I could tweek the setting slightly to accommodate this but I've grown to love 144hz, reminds me of owning a good quality CRT back in the day :D

I really don't mind upgrading as I didn't expect my 2500k to last so long.

As far as I can tell the issues I'm having are fairly unique to 1080p@144hz with a high end card.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Min temp on idle: 33, reached 77 on max load
    Witcher 3 about 100fps completely maxed out
    Overwatch medium - 180fps, maxed out about 140-150fps

Will test more tomorrow

What res and cpu are you running cherry?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Dirk Hardpeck

Is there any point in getting one of these if I'm rocking an i5-4460 with 8GB of 1600mhz ram?

Hmm the pound is taking a hammering,not sure whats the best way to try exploit this with english retailers....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Is there any point in getting one of these if I'm rocking an i5-4460 with 8GB of 1600mhz ram?

It'll still be holding back the 4460 don't worry

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

EoinHef wrote: »
    Hmm the pound is taking a hammering,not sure whats the best way to try exploit this with english retailers....

I've seen the card I want drop from 510 euro to 480. Unsure if to pull trigger now or continue to wait.

Noticed over the years that PayPal and/or retailers don't ever have realtime currency conversion matching say xe.com

EoinHef wrote: »
    What res and cpu are you running cherry?

Sorry, 1080p on 144hz monitor, so the 100fps in Witcher 3 is glorious.

TheDoc wrote: »
    I've seen the card I want drop from 510 euro to 480. Unsure if to pull trigger now or continue to wait.

Noticed over the years that PayPal and/or retailers don't ever have realtime currency conversion matching say xe.com

Ye the live rate and what you would be actually getting seem a bit far apart from what ive been seeing. Pity.

Still early days though so have to see if it may go down further or stabalise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Get a Revolut Card. Real time currency conversion at the XE rate :D

1070 is around 450 starting price now on uk currency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

The MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X from OCUK is really tempting at the moment, it's still at €519 right now...wonder what the chances of it dropping below €500 are.

Sign of growing up...willing to spend €500, gets finicky about an extra €19!!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭DownOneTourist

The MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X from OCUK is really tempting at the moment, it's still at €519 right now...wonder what the chances of it dropping below €500 are.

Sign of growing up...willing to spend €500, gets finicky about an extra €19!!
    Do kmcomputer ship to ireland? It's 500 there

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Well OCUK just bumped their prices, likely to cover for the Sterling crash.

Inno3D x3 went from £389 to £404 and x4 went from £399 to £429.

Really in split minds here, think I'm back into the mindset of waiting till next month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Well OCUK just bumped their prices, likely to cover for the Sterling crash.

Inno3D x3 went from 389 to 404 and x4 went from 399 to 429.

Really in split minds here, think I'm back into the mindset of waiting till next month
    They most certainly have! This was 620 when I ordered last Friday https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1080-g1-gaming-rgb-8192mb-gddr5x-pci-express-graphics-card-gv-n1080g1-gaming-8-gx-184-gi.html

Advertisement