Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia GTX 10xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Prices gone up again on OCUK in the last few mins, cheapest 1070 is now ~€490. Gonna forget about it for now, signed up for auto notifications on the EVGA 1070 SC instead, just gonna have to remain patient!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Prices gone up again on OCUK in the last few mins, cheapest 1070 is now ~€490. Gonna forget about it for now, signed up for auto notifications on the EVGA 1070 SC instead, just gonna have to remain patient!!

Yeah have put it out of my mind. Waiting for stocks to settle which will be July/ august anyway, and I'll have the benefit of user reviews and feedback.

And sure by that time Terror will probably sell his/her iChill and I'll just buy that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

TheDoc wrote: »
    And sure by that time Terror will probably sell his/her iChill and I'll just buy that ;)

Probably be on his/her 4th or 5th card by then :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

OCUK have put their prices back down to pre Brexit level and they will stay like that until at least 3pm today while they go through each item and see what they need to be charging for it. If you want one off them order now.

superg wrote: »
    OCUK have put their prices back down to pre Brexit level and they will stay like that until at least 3pm today while they go through each item and see what they need to be charging for it. If you want one off them order now.

Any there showing reasonable value? Get back to office or not now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Any there showing reasonable value? Get back to office or not now...

Same price as elsewhere. Amazon cheaper on some. It's also a good thing that Amazon don't take your money until they have the product to ship but OCUK would probably have stock faster. Germany still cheapest but delivery prices are the issue.

If you buy on OCUK pay via Revolut. You'll get the best exchange rate that way. If I ordered my card today it would be 30 odd quid cheaper than what I paid when I order a few weeks back.

superg wrote: »

Yeah just saw that, ****, am I back into order now camp? Decisions

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

TheDoc wrote: »
    Yeah just saw that, ****, am I back into order now camp? Decisions

What cards are you looking at?

What cards are you looking at?

INNO3d x3 iChill 1070

Only a €40-50 euro saving looking at it, if I buy now

Their site seems down at the moment ,was trying to move through to paypal cart to see what exchange rate they were doing

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Dirk Hardpeck

It'll still be holding back the 4460 don't worry

Shweet.

I'm not very tech savvy, read a post on another forum saying that you shouldn't pair an i5 4460 with anything higher than a 970. :confused:

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

My old system combined with a GTX 1080 handles the Rainbow Six Siege benchmark pretty well :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ewrs7-lE3Q

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Nedved85 wrote: »
    My old system combined with a GTX 1080 handles the Rainbow Six Siege benchmark pretty well :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ewrs7-lE3Q

Oh god no. It's definitely getting heavily bottlenecked by that old cpu. Why would you pair a 1080 with such an old cpu?

I seriously hope you aren't playing at 1080p/60hz as well :S

BloodBath wrote: »
    Oh god no. It's definitely getting heavily bottlenecked by that old cpu. Why would you pair a 1080 with such an old cpu?

I seriously hope you aren't playing at 1080p/60hz as well :S
    The cpu is still going strong, it's an extreme edition. I'm upgrading to a 6700k in a few months when funds allow it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Still capable of playing new games yes, but it's still a major bottleneck. At 1080p/60hz not so much (but then again a 1080 is utterly wasted at that res), but if you ran some games at 144hz for example, it would be almost half the speed of a modern i5 or i7. Either way really it is a massive bottleneck because you'd probably get the exact same frames with a far slower card as the CPU still represents the ceiling on framerates in most games.

Still capable of playing new games yes, but it's still a major bottleneck. At 1080p/60hz not so much (but then again a 1080 is utterly wasted at that res), but if you ran some games at 144hz for example, it would be almost half the speed of a modern i5 or i7. Either way really it is a massive bottleneck because you'd probably get the exact same frames with a far slower card as the CPU still represents the ceiling on framerates in most games.
    Cheers for the info, didn't honestly know my cpu was holding the system back, will have it all sorted soon hopefully :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Too many 1080s floating around, I immediately think of the res every time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Pretty much settled on going for the MSI 1070 Gaming at this point. Last few bits on adverts sold so ive got the cash now. Stock is a rarity though,im probably gonna go with amazon at £415,no delivery date though on there but id rather have easier returns with amazon rather than dealing with the german sites.

Although im not sure how brexit may affect warranty claims,have to see how that pans out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I bought my system in 2011, 2600K with GTX580SLI. Im probably going to buy a 1080 when they become available again. DO you think its likely my CPU will be a bottleneck? I ask because I was looking on Anandtech and doing the CPU comparison thing and for gaming, there was virtually no difference at all between a 6800K and my CPU, which seems very odd to me, have CPU improvements over the last few years not really helped with gaming? Sure for other processes the newer CPU is a fair bit faster, but I'm not bothered with that as I really only do a little office based stuff, mainly I'm playing Battlefield or Rocket league.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I bought my system in 2011, 2600K with GTX580SLI. Im probably going to buy a 1080 when they become available again. DO you think its likely my CPU will be a bottleneck? I ask because I was looking on Anandtech and doing the CPU comparison thing and for gaming, there was virtually no difference at all between a 6800K and my CPU, which seems very odd to me, have CPU improvements over the last few years not really helped with gaming? Sure for other processes the newer CPU is a fair bit faster, but I'm not bothered with that as I really only do a little office based stuff, mainly I'm playing Battlefield or Rocket league.

Nah 2600k will be fine if you OC it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Nah 2600k will be fine if you OC it

Its been at 4.6 since day 1.

• Advertisement

The cpu is still going strong, it's an extreme edition. I'm upgrading to a 6700k in a few months when funds allow it

Upgrade your monitor while you're at it. A gtx 1080 is completely wasted at 1080p/60hz.

You could have bought a RX 480 for 1/4 of the price and got the same results otherwise.

Upgrade your monitor while you're at it. A gtx 1080 is completely wasted at 1080p/60hz.

You could have bought a RX 480 for 1/4 of the price and got the same results otherwise.

I've an ultra wide 21:9 1440p monitor so the gtx 1080 is getting it's legs stretched alright :)

No, a 2600K overclocked is pretty much as fast as a Skylake i7. Intel made major advances with the 2nd gen i-series CPU's compared to the 1st gen, i3 models haven't held up very well but the i5 and i7's have.

There are differences between 2nd gen i5's and Skylake i5's (and i7's) at stock speeds obviously - but even then they're not really noticable unless you're gaming past 60hz. In almost every case the GPU is still the bottleneck at 1080p/1440p 60hz.

Running at 120-144hz is a good way of benching older i-series CPU's versus their new counterparts.

If you own a K model they close the gap between them and Haswell/Skylake excellently and upgrades aren't really needed.

I've an ultra wide 21:9 1440p monitor so the gtx 1080 is getting it's legs stretched alright :)

Not really though, what he means that basically instead of getting 100-120fps you're probably getting 70-80, simply because the CPU is the bottleneck.

It doesn't mean that the game still doesn't run at ultra settings at a good FPS, it's more that the card is not reaching it's full potential i.e bottlenecked.

In your case a GTX1070 would give the exact same results, because it too would be limited from beyond a certain framerate by the CPU.

If I run Fallout 4 on my GTX980Ti w/i7-2600, versus GTX980Ti w/i7-6700, both run very well at 1440p but the average and minimum frames are about 30% higher on the 6700K build due to the faster CPU and faster DDR4.

Not really though, what he means that basically instead of getting 100-120fps you're probably getting 70-80, simply because the CPU is the bottleneck.

It doesn't mean that the game still doesn't run at ultra settings at a good FPS, it's more that the card is not reaching it's full potential i.e bottlenecked.

In your case a GTX1070 would give the exact same results, because it too would be limited from beyond a certain framerate by the CPU.

If I run Fallout 4 on my GTX980Ti w/i7-2600, versus GTX980Ti w/i7-6700, both run very well at 1440p but the average and minimum frames are about 30% higher on the 6700K build due to the faster CPU and faster DDR4.

Yup, eyes opened a bit today from reading yer comments, cheers. Right now I can't run Project Cars maxed out, I have to turn down a few settings, AA etc which did surprise me tbh but the fact that the cpu is a bottleneck is good to hear from that point of view . It will be a good test when I upgrade the cpu and motherboard to see if performance improves in that game.

Ive a 3570k @ 4.3Ghz,the 1070 will most likely be my last card on that cpu. Probably try change it next year. Its servede well though,its been through a 7870,7950,7950 CF,970 and now a 1070!!

Be interesting to see how it performs with the 1070,be used for 100Hz @1440p

EoinHef wrote: »
    Ive a 3570k @ 4.3Ghz,the 1070 will most likely be my last card on that cpu. Probably try change it next year. Its servede well though,its been through a 7870,7950,7950 CF,970 and now a 1070!!

Be interesting to see how it performs with the 1070,be used for 100Hz @1440p

Still getting good life out of your qnix? Best €200 I ever spent. I don't feel the need to blow €500 for a newer 144hz model yet. Still getting great performance in most games with an overclocked 970. Overclocked to 110hz.

Still getting good life out of your qnix? Best €200 I ever spent. I don't feel the need to blow €500 for a newer 144hz model yet. Still getting great performance in most games with an overclocked 970. Overclocked to 110hz.

Ye shes still chugging along,turned out to be a great investment. Could probably clocked past 100Hz but havent really felt the need with the average fps. 970 was a lovely card,high clocks,low temps and no issues for the nearly two year i owned one but for some of the games i play it wasnt quite cutting it.

EoinHef wrote: »
    Pretty much settled on going for the MSI 1070 Gaming at this point. Last few bits on adverts sold so ive got the cash now. Stock is a rarity though,im probably gonna go with amazon at £415,no delivery date though on there but id rather have easier returns with amazon rather than dealing with the german sites.

Although im not sure how brexit may affect warranty claims,have to see how that pans out

The UK won't actually leave the UK for some time, takes a while to invoke.

Even they even do at all tbh....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Priorities, maybe nsfw :D.

http://imgur.com/gallery/Wc7oZRI

Advertisement