Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia GTX 10xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Why switch out the 390x if its doing the job?
    No point in having a 1080 for say 60fps 1080p for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I'd like to game at 4k tbh, bought a 4k monitor and the 390x handles 1440p quite well but struggles with 4k.

So CPU bottleneck is more apparent at lower res?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

I'd like to game at 4k tbh, bought a 4k monitor and the 390x handles 1440p quite well but struggles with 4k.

So CPU bottleneck is more apparent at lower res?

1080 is not the GPU for you then, as it is only 25% over a 980Ti, which is not enough for 4K gaming IMO.
    Wait for Vega/Bigger Pascal, as those are the Flagships. Even overclocked the 1080 wouldn't be able to Max games at 4K. Plus, the HDMI Type B is only supportive of 60FPS when not using interlacing, so a Display Port monitor is best...and rare unfortunately.

So, keep your 390X, as it will still offer good performance for a ling time. In terms of removing bottlenecks, higher resolutions will have less FPS anyway, so your CPU utilisation will drop as the GPU becomes the bottleneck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Eoinmc97 wrote: »
    1080 is not the GPU for you then, as it is only 25% over a 980Ti, which is not enough for 4K gaming IMO.
    Wait for Vega/Bigger Pascal, as those are the Flagships. Even overclocked the 1080 wouldn't be able to Max games at 4K. Plus, the HDMI Type B is only supportive of 60FPS when not using interlacing, so a Display Port monitor is best...and rare unfortunately.

So, keep your 390X, as it will still offer good performance for a ling time. In terms of removing bottlenecks, higher resolutions will have less FPS anyway, so your CPU utilisation will drop as the GPU becomes the bottleneck.

Thanks, really helpful post! My monitor has a 60hz refresh rate through display port 1.2 I think, I'm not that up on different connections etc. But I do get 60hz at 4k, running a game in 4k at 60fps is a b**** though!

So you think even the 1080 will struggle at 4k? That leaked fire strike bench seems to say its about 50% more powerful than the 390x

Probably a better idea to wait for 1080ti but I'd really like to make 4k run better in games, comes down to whether I've patience or not I suppose :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's enough for 4K gaming at relatively OK levels but not at enthusiast level i.e. very high/ultra.

At the moment even with a 980Ti medium settings at 4K is about the sweet spot in most AAA titles for a stable 60fps.

Dual 980Ti's are what you really need now for very high-ultra settings at 4k....a 1080 will be an improvement but still nowhere near enough for enthusiast 4K gaming.

I had a 4K monitor but I went back to 1440P myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

So apparently 2.5Ghz water cooled models will be available.... Now I don't know what to do. I actually really like the reference cooler design, but a water cooled model might be more appealing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I dunno. No question the reference cooler is better than previous, but that fan is still extremely small. You'll always be better with two 90-100mm fans than the one 40mm one.

Pascal does have me thinking water again for some reason though...

Custom water blocks have started showing up as of today too... I CBA with all that though. If there's an offering like EVGA's 980Ti Hybrid then I might just go for that. Plenty of room for another AiO cooler in the 600C

That's what's putting me off as well. Not sure I'm bothered spending hours doing tubing runs, and returning 280mm rads because they obstruct something by 2 ****ing mil...

Won't be going AIO though personally. Dat pump noise. I'd rather just have complete silence at idle, so AIB air.

Serephucus wrote: »
    Won't be going AIO though personally. Dat pump noise. I'd rather just have complete silence at idle, so AIB air.

Already have a h100i GTX in my build anyway, adding another AIO won't make any difference. TBH I can't notice any real noise at all from the pump. Although I have my headset on most of the time anyway.

• Advertisement

Ah fair enough then. I've only got one 140mm Noctua spinning most of the time is a very quiet house, but if you've already got one then you're grand. These things being so efficient too should mean that a 120mm should be loads.

NVIDIA's launch slides (those sent to press for the 17th NDA-lift day) have apparently been leaked by Videocardz

http://www.overclock.net/t/1600243/vc-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-final-specifications-and-launch-presentation#post_25163033

Some cool things there. GPU Boost 3.0 is apparently a boost clock that works on a per-voltage-step basis, rather than a static offset like before. Should make OCing interesting*

* Possibly awesome, or a right pain in the face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

When do we get the 1070 reviews ect im guessing they won't be on the 17th too?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

jayo26 wrote: »
    When do we get the 1070 reviews ect im guessing they won't be on the 17th too?

The 1070's not due till June I think. Nvidia wisely want to keep the focus on the 1080 for the moment.

Venom wrote: »
    The 1070's not due till June I think. Nvidia wisely want to keep the focus on the 1080 for the moment.

Yeh i see that but was wondering had they given any dates on when they would allow reviews and benchmarks to be published but I guess it will be after 1080

I'd assume the NDA is for both. I don't think it'd make much sense to hold off on the 1070 review.

I'd assume the NDA is for both. I don't think it'd make much sense to hold off on the 1070 review.

Hopefully so it be cool to have a better idea but id say we won't know for sure until people outside of the selected testers get their hands on it?? As in when it goes on sale and people that have bought the card to test it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

I for one welcome our new 1080 overlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I'm underwhelmed by the real world leaks so far, I have to say. From the massive process shrink alone, I expected better than 25% improvements over the previous gen, they appear to be targeting similar performance at a slightly lower price point instead.

Still, Nvidia probably had less to gain as their existing architecture was quite efficient; AMD (you would hope) are going to see much bigger benefits of moving to a new process node.

Having said that, it's the moneymaking €100-€200 tier below the 1070 which matters for both companies, that's what I'll be watching.

You have to remember though, you're comparing 980 Ti to the 1080, when it's replacement is meant to be the 980. If you look at the benchmarks in that light, it's about 80% faster.

It'd be like getting a 570 and saying "But it's only 20% faster than a 480!"

I know, it's annoying what NVIDIA does with their GPUs now, but the fact is that 1080 uses the core that would have been in their mid-range cards a few years ago. I think it's safe to say this "one product line, two cores, two release cycles" thing is here to stay, unfortunately.

I think people need to stop thinking about it in terms of linear progression, and more like Intel's Z170/X99 release cadence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

You have to remember though, you're comparing 980 Ti to the 1080, when it's replacement is meant to be the 980. If you look at the benchmarks in that light, it's about 80% faster.

It'd be like getting a 570 and saying "But it's only 20% faster than a 480!"

I know, it's annoying what NVIDIA does with their GPUs now, but the fact is that 1080 uses the core that would have been in their mid-range cards a few years ago. I think it's safe to say this "one product line, two cores, two release cycles" thing is here to stay, unfortunately.

I think people need to stop thinking about it in terms of linear progression, and more like Intel's Z170/X99 release cadence.

Exactly. I reckon the next Titan using big Pascal will launch end of 2016 start of 2017 and a slightly cut down 1080TI will drop summer 2017.

Any leaks on 1070 yet guys?? Sorry for been a pain ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

jayo26 wrote: »
    Any leaks on 1070 yet guys?? Sorry for been a pain ;)

I think I remember hearing on the PCPerspective podcast last week that the NDA lifts on the 18th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It'll be interesting to see what the new GTX750/750Ti class cards would be like. That sort of per dollar performance hadn't been seen in a seriously long time. Can AMD claw some ground back in that area? The 260X was terrible competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

It'll be interesting to see what the new GTX750/750Ti class cards would be like. That sort of per dollar performance hadn't been seen in a seriously long time. Can AMD claw some ground back in that area? The 260X was terrible competition.

That's the thing, there hasn't really been a golden mainstream card for a while now. Both companies have been releasing overlapping low tier cards with confusing rebrands (AMD the worst offender) and leaving midrange performance at the 300 quid plus mark. Suits their margins but not mainstream gaming I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

It'll be interesting to see real world pricing for this. I assume we get more of an idea on this too with the NDA lifted today?

Yup. 5pm today. (I think)

Actually, people are saying 1PM GMT. Win.

It will be interesting to see alright.
    Hope this announcement spurs AMD to drop some news themselves too.

sugarman wrote: »
    Are we expecting another mini version? Similar to the 970 mini for itx builds?

Would love to see a 1070 mini.

Been holding off buying an R9 Fury in hope of a Nvidia equivalent, or at the very least a significant drop on the 970.

Probably down the line, the mini versions of the 970 and fury sold well enough.
    Makes sense to open up the new cards to smaller case owners too, maybe just not at the start.

Cant see the 970 dropping in price new, you might snag a second hand one from someone itchy to upgrade to a newer card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Cant see the 970 dropping in price new, you might snag a second hand one from someone itchy to upgrade to a newer card.

Why not, retailers are going to have remaining stock to shift and it's unlikely to do so when there's a faster alternative to a little more.

Advertisement