Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia GTX 10xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

TheDoc wrote: »
    What do you mean insure? I didn't even see an option on their website to insur(Parcel Motel)

The item is being couriered to the Parcel Motel point(with a tracking number and entry points along the way) so it will be very clear when it arrives into their hands, and if it did go missing where the issue and responsibility would be

EDIT: OK see the option now, added the €500 cover for €3.50.

I always thought it was a bit shít that you had to insure yourself with couriers. You're paying them to do a job but you have to pay them extra to cover yourself in case they fúck it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I always thought it was a bit shít that you had to insure yourself with couriers. You're paying them to do a job but you have to pay them extra to cover yourself in case they fúck it up.

Well in this case I'm paying insurance from Parcel Motel. Bit weird I have to admit considering the service they are advising. They will insure items to €100, but require payment for more.

In regards normal couriers, I'd never pay insurance. Retailer is liable for that, and most items of a certain value are sent with tracking, so its recorded everytime it changes hands.

I'm also pretty good at having those liable actually admit liability and take responsibility, and pretty comfortable with all that type of process, so I'm not overly worried. I even feel a bit **** paying that €3.50 for the parcel motel insurance, but then again it was €3.50 to guarantee no messing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I went for the extra insurance with parcel motel. At the end of the day we do business under their T&Cs and they aren't doing anything wrong by limiting their liability as a 3rd party. It's nonsense when it comes directly from the retailer as you rightly say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Whats the craic with buying from Ebuyer? They seem to have a UK office and UK prices listed but I thought they were a US website so that would mean vat and customs charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

superg wrote: »
    Whats the craic with buying from Ebuyer? They seem to have a UK office and UK prices listed but I thought they were a US website so that would mean vat and customs charges.
    Not sure but they no longer ship to ireland, or the parcel motel address. Not sure if it works for the an post equivalent. I think they are UK based, or at elast have a warehouse there from which they ship

• Advertisement

Getting some traction on the cars I'm selling. Thankfully.

Eases the blow on this 1070!

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Not sure but they no longer ship to ireland, or the parcel motel address. Not sure if it works for the an post equivalent. I think they are UK based, or at elast have a warehouse there from which they ship

Ah right, it's PM I'd be using. That's that out so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

TheDoc wrote: »
    Getting some traction on the cars I'm selling. Thankfully.

Eases the blow on this 1070!

Is that your advert with the 290? That guy got a bargain

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Is that your advert with the 290? That guy got a bargain

Yeah, saw he was building a PC from second hand parts, thought I'd be nice ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,844 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Lots of AIB cards in stock at Scan right now if anyone is still looking.

• Advertisement

Their prices are a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

The entire line up is a disgrace. The price is disgusting at every shop. Lets not forget Nvidia were bull****ting us with £450 price tags for third party GTX1080s at the launch event. That is currently €533.

I really really want a new card, have money sitting in my bank for no purpose at all, but I'm just not going to encourage this idiocy. Every single sale just encourages them to do it again, the floor has been raised and they can get away with it. This drip feeding cards has created a demand facilitating these prices, and with the 480 not competing, they have it easy for months ahead. Sh1t times really.

Realistically Im only really playing Rocket League at the moment as Im bored stupid of Battlefield 4 now after 928 hours playing it, so I would not see any benefit from upgrading now. I may as well wait until BF1 comes out and hopefully the daylight robbery prices have come down to a more realistic level and I will buy it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

The entire line up is a disgrace. The price is disgusting at every shop. Lets not forget Nvidia were bull****ting us with £450 price tags for third party GTX1080s at the launch event. That is currently €533.

I really really want a new card, have money sitting in my bank for no purpose at all, but I'm just not going to encourage this idiocy. Every single sale just encourages them to do it again, the floor has been raised and they can get away with it. This drip feeding cards has created a demand facilitating these prices, and with the 480 not competing, they have it easy for months ahead. Sh1t times really.

I'm actually kinda in the same boat. I was hoping to have one from someone in the US, but that fell through, and after looking at the prices here, I'm just not interested.

I wanted a new card for a couple of early-access, not very well optimised games that I play, and to eventually use with a Vive, but as I don't have a Vive yet, and I don't actually have much time to play games at the moment, I'm not going to give NVIDIA even more money for not much return.

Maybe I'll get a 490...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Ive put aside the cash for a new gpu too,was about to order a 1080 the other night but held off as it was a hefty zotac model that was probably too large for my setup anyway. After taking another night to think about it i decided to hold off,no stock,crazy early adoption premiums,and sterling still going down it just seems like a bad time to buy,especially from the UK.

Sold old gpu too,so now im up s**t creek without a proverbial padel....

Unless Vega comes in the next month or two its still likely to be 1070/1080 for me but not until things have settled down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

ShaneU wrote: »
    Lots of AIB cards in stock at Scan right now if anyone is still looking.

Great because my AIB card is maxed out...

(sorry)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I've gone with the gigantic 1070 zotac from amazon.
    Got in just before the price went up from £389 to £409.
    Although I'm getting it shipped to me so it was £398 with Irish VAT.
    God knows when it will be in stock, hopefully not before sterling has fallen a bit more and before it recovers.

I see that with the pound hitting new depths the strix 1080 has reached an eye watering £749 on overclockers. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

German-language GTX 1080 group test:

https://www.computerbase.de/2016-07/geforce-gtx-1080-partnerkarten-vergleich-test/

Palit GameRock & Gainward Phoenix take the cake by being quieter than Zotac, Inno3D, EVGA, Gigabyte, Asus, Nvidia reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

EoinHef wrote: »
    Ive put aside the cash for a new gpu too,was about to order a 1080 the other night but held off as it was a hefty zotac model that was probably too large for my setup anyway. After taking another night to think about it i decided to hold off,no stock,crazy early adoption premiums,and sterling still going down it just seems like a bad time to buy,especially from the UK.

Sold old gpu too,so now im up s**t creek without a proverbial padel....

Unless Vega comes in the next month or two its still likely to be 1070/1080 for me but not until things have settled down a bit.

Vega not due till 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Venom wrote: »
    Vega not due till 2017.

Vegas due at the end of this year. Possibly as early as October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Nothing official. Only rumours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Dair76 wrote: »
    Nothing official. Only rumours.

Of course but that's all we have to go on. Officially it is due in late 2016 if you look at the roadmap though. It may slip to 2017 but hopefully not. I'd say they will do their best to get it out for the holiday season.

AMDGPU.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

BloodBath wrote: »

This is what i would be hoping for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

dloob wrote: »
    I've gone with the gigantic 1070 zotac from amazon.
    Got in just before the price went up from £389 to £409.
    Although I'm getting it shipped to me so it was £398 with Irish VAT.
    God knows when it will be in stock, hopefully not before sterling has fallen a bit more and before it recovers.

I see that with the pound hitting new depths the strix 1080 has reached an eye watering £749 on overclockers. :eek:

Wtf is that strix price about! Sure it was under 700 at 1.19 and now 750 at 1.18

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Wtf is that strix price about! Sure it was under 700 at 1.19 and now 750 at 1.18

I think it's the dollar/pound rate that's affecting them most.
    It was as high as 1.48 on June 23rd, it's around 1.30 now and nearly 3 cents of that drop was just today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

BloodBath wrote: »

Raja himself tweeted at the Vega 10 celebration "Design team is thrilled with your response. Celebrated a milestone with the team. Long way to go before you see it." Time will tell I guess.

Is it evil of me that I can't wait until my various English acquaintances, who voted leave, go to book a Holiday next year and are rightly and royally screwed. Welcome to a pint costing the guys of £5 numpties! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

I may be fuming at still not being able to use my Oculus Rift nearly six weeks after receiving it but I must console myself that I pre-ordered my Strix 1080 back on May 27th at £635(with Irish Vat). This was the Pre Asus 'Pricing mix up' price increase and also before the several Brexit related price increases. OCUK have publically stated they would honour the pre-order pricing. Also, because I selected the 'Pay with Amazon' Visa option unlike most people who paid directly with Visa and whose cards were charged immediately, my card won't be charged until they ship so I also get the benefit of the post Brexit falling GBP£ so my Strix is getting cheaper by the day. €744 at the current exchange rate whereas it was about €820 at time of pre-order. If I were to order today it would be GBP£749 €878 !! :D In other words, I'd have no choice but to order from a eurozone country like Mindfactory in Germany to get the €799 price. The only reason I actually bought the GPU from OCUK in the first place was English speaking CS in case of warranty claims. At the time of order it was €820 like I said and thus more expensive than the €799 it was selling for on MF. However in my particular set of circumstances its getting cheaper by the day for me from OCUK while for most its getting more expensive :D

Is there anyway to undervolt on MSI afterburner. EVGA Precision wasn't saving profiles for me.

Say what you like about AMD, Wattman - although stupidly named - is the way it should be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,844 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

• Advertisement

ShaneU wrote: »

Wow really good price.....Bloody Terror and his Inno convincing

My card being delivered to Parcel Motel today, hopefully with me what, tomorrow?

Advertisement