Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia GTX 10xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

You would need to factor in a further €30 delivery from mindfactory

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

That's still before the 30€ shipping which kinda kills the price savings... not that there is much to save until stock actually appears to meet demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Parcel received by Pmotel. So close, I can smell it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Living near Dollymount Strand I have to be careful heading out at one in the morning lest the neighbours get the wrong/right idea! Love parcel motel.

PIcked up my card from PArcel Motel this morning. I kind of just want to go home and get it installed....

• Advertisement

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I can't answer anything about PMotel but as for 2), you'll want to download this when you set up the graphics card. http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience

On that GeForce Experience app. I've tried some "optimise" apps in the past and they have been utter garbage.

Is this actually any use?

Just don't use that part of the application (I rarely do as it seems to overestimate the strength of the 760). It is best used for keeping drivers up to date and configuring ShadowPlay if you want that :)

It is nice to compare what nvidia thinks you can hit with your specs though. Might reveal something you missed in an options menu for extra eye candy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

TheDoc wrote: »
    On that GeForce Experience app. I've tried some "optimise" apps in the past and they have been utter garbage.

Is this actually any use?

It shows you what the settings are it's going to change - usually it's just maxing out the settings with still maintaining playable FPS. But in certain games it makes literally no sense - like running CS:GO with a GTX970 and optimize wants to set it to dynamic super resolution (2715 x 1527). Might be pretty but it would make aiming practically impossible with such small view models.

Shadowplay is good though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

given the recent 1060 announcement, any reason to go for a 1070 for mainly 1080p gaming? or would a 970 be a better option again?

• Advertisement

Oh Shadowplay I heard of that, thats like fraps right? Stores highlights or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

mossym wrote: »
    given the recent 1060 announcement, any reason to go for a 1070 for mainly 1080p gaming? or would a 970 be a better option again?

The Rx 480 or GTX 1060 will be the 1080p cards to go for. They should be pretty good even at 1440p tbh. 1070 is overkill for 1080p.

I wouldn't bother with a 970 at this stage unless you're getting a good deal on a second hand 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I wouldn't write off 970's entirely, they're going for as little as 240 new now - GTX1060 will probably be €300+ and that's even if you can even get your hands on one.

Oh Shadowplay I heard of that, thats like fraps right? Stores highlights or something?

Yup, constantly records the last x mins of gaming (defaults to 9 or 10) and will save that period of time when you hit a hotkey. Also supports direct streaming to twitch which is actually very decent. Removes all the complex options when trying to configure OBS and so is perfect for the average guy you may want to stream for friends from time to time.

I wouldn't write off 970's entirely, they're going for as little as 240 new now - GTX1060 will probably be €300+ and that's even if you can even get your hands on one.

It's still a good card but the 3.5gb ram is definitely an issue. Maybe not so much at 1080p but the way games are going the more the better really.

The RX480 will mop the floor with it eventually.

Had to do this recently. Friend asked for advice on what to buy. He was buying pretty much then and there so I considered advising the RX480, but with the partner cards still a ways off, it was just easier to suggest the 970. The average user isn't going to see the difference under pretty much any workload.

Also, to address the above. It will wipe the floor with it eventually, but by then they'll be already replaced with the 500 series. And even in the interm, only very specific games may have a significant fps benefit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

BloodBath wrote: »
    The Rx 480 or GTX 1060 will be the 1080p cards to go for. They should be pretty good even at 1440p tbh. 1070 is overkill for 1080p.

I wouldn't bother with a 970 at this stage unless you're getting a good deal on a second hand 1.

just putting a build together, been out of the pc gaming side for a number of years. was set on a 970, then decided i'd treat myself to a 1070, then the 1060 looked perfect and now you may not be able to get one.

bloody video cards are as much a nightmare as they were 15 years ago

just putting a build together, been out of the pc gaming side for a number of years. was set on a 970, then decided i'd treat myself to a 1070, then the 1060 looked perfect and now you may not be able to get one.

You can pre order one of these now for €300 if you fancy going team red. It will outperform the 970 in most titles and has more than double the memory.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapphire-radeon-rx-480-nitro-oc-8192mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-37b-sp.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Most after market 970s stay nice and cool and overclock past the GTX 980 stock speeds.

As someone pointed out by the the time the RX 480 actually can beat the 970 across the board AMD will already have its Vega line of graphics cards out anyway.

I use my 970 for 1440p and it doesn't break a sweat so 1080p is a walk in the park.

BloodBath wrote: »

I'll be the judge of that!

• Advertisement

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Yup, constantly records the last x mins of gaming (defaults to 9 or 10) and will save that period of time when you hit a hotkey. Also supports direct streaming to twitch which is actually very decent. Removes all the complex options when trying to configure OBS and so is perfect for the average guy you may want to stream for friends from time to time.

Guess I'm comfortable with OBS regarding setup, I'm streaming a number of years.

But Twitch is a nightmare to upload to youtube from, so rather getting my own local copy of videos to upload. Will give it a spin over the weekend!

I'd say the second hand market for 970's will continue to fall. I don't believe it worth it paying 200+ euro for one. Have a guy picking up my R9 290 this weekend for 130 euro, and there isn't much diff between the two performance wise.

I'd imagine with the range of cards on the horizon, and Nvidia sorting out their production volumes, 970's new will come down surely, nevermind the second hand market.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Guess I'm comfortable with OBS regarding setup, I'm streaming a number of years.

But Twitch is a nightmare to upload to youtube from, so rather getting my own local copy of videos to upload. Will give it a spin over the weekend!

The only thing is if you're recording in high quality, 10 mins ends up around 3-4gb... so you want a lot of space free. Obviously you can just run it through whatever and export it for upload at 720p or whatever to youtube. I think I got 7.5 minutes down from 3gb to 70mb after running it through lightworks and it looks perfect.

Most after market 970s stay nice and cool and overclock past the GTX 980 stock speeds.

As someone pointed out by the the time the RX 480 actually can beat the 970 across the board AMD will already have its Vega line of graphics cards out anyway.

I use my 970 for 1440p and it doesn't break a sweat so 1080p is a walk in the park.

That Sapphire nitro 480 will beat the 970 across the board at stock speeds apart from a few titles that heavily favor Nvidia cards. If it overclocks in the 1500-1600+ range it's going to be more in line with a heavily overclocked 980.

That's a week away, Vega could be 6 months away.

I'm using an overclocked 970 for 1440p/110hz as well. Great for most games but I'd definitely consider side/upgrading to a 480 if I can get a good price for the 970.

Anybody know how much EVGA will charge for delivery to Ireland?

EoinHef wrote: »
    Anybody know how much EVGA will charge for delivery to Ireland?

About €15 IIRC

About €15 IIRC

Cheers. You get the SC 1080?

They were back in stock last night on EVGA site but were all sold out again by about 4pm today. Im not mad on the asthetics of the SC but it would be sub €750 delivered so im tempted.

All installed and looking good!

Slight immediate issue when logging into WoW there is this evER so slight "flicker". i don't see lines through the screen or anything, just this gentle flicker that happens at times. might need to tweak some settings or something

All installed and looking good!

Slight immediate issue when logging into WoW there is this evER so slight "flicker". i don't see lines through the screen or anything, just this gentle flicker that happens at times. might need to tweak some settings or something

I'm getting texture flicker in TW:Warhammer - waiting for drivers and have canned to OC for now.

• Advertisement

EoinHef wrote: »
    Cheers. You get the SC 1080?

They were back in stock last night on EVGA site but were all sold out again by about 4pm today. Im not mad on the asthetics of the SC but it would be sub €750 delivered so im tempted.

I did, Iit goes in my case pretty well. Love the card - I actually got mine from OCUK in the end.

Advertisement