Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia GTX 10xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I did, Iit goes in my case pretty well. Love the card - I actually got mine from OCUK in the end.

Ah ok,thought you bought direct from EVGA. Yeah all the reviews look good and anywhere ive seen owners post about the card its been fairly positive.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

TheDoc wrote: »
    All installed and looking good!

Slight immediate issue when logging into WoW there is this evER so slight "flicker". i don't see lines through the screen or anything, just this gentle flicker that happens at times. might need to tweak some settings or something

Get the latest driver, it fixed the flickering for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Get the latest driver, it fixed the flickering for me.

Yeah I'm on the latest.

Did some adjustment to the colour schemes in the Nvidia panel and its gone now.

Jesus the card is soooo quiet. Such a difference from my last card

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Ugh, having troubles with my MSI GTX 1070, after hooking it up it doesnt go passed the boot screen, the standard medion screen appears, DEL to enter bios or F8 to enter boot menu, but no response when pressing any keys.

I had to use HDMI cable to hook it up to TV screen as didnt have a DVI adaptor/cable to hook it up to PC monitor, so will get one of them today and hopefully that will resolve the issue so i can load up and install drivers.

Hoping its not a case of having to replace the motherboard or it being a faulty GFX card :(

UGH i hate when an install doesnt run smoothly :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Don't know about Medion but some manufacturers have an annoying bios limitation on what cards can be used, I know from experience quite a lot of HP machines for example won't work with cards past the GTX6 series which dates back to 2012/13. When you install a newer card it gets to the HP logo in bios and won't go any further. I've only seen it in HP 'Home' PC's, HP workstations and the Elite range seem to be fine. There is a bizarre workaround for the HP issue, you have to hold the ESC key and tap some other button for 30 seconds and magically the card boots just fine and once into Windows everything's perfect! Very irritating when manufacturers lock people out like that though.

Not saying it's the case here with worth considering.

• Advertisement

I said if they came undee 450 I would get a 1070 and they are now but sterling keeps collapsing. Decisions decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

I said if they came undee 450 I would get a 1070 and they are now but sterling keeps collapsing. Decisions decisions

Under 450?? I assume you mean sterling?
    If you did then
    £450 = €525
    https://www.computeruniverse.net/products/90656676/msi-geforce-gtx1070-gaming-x-8g.asp

Under 450?? I assume you mean sterling?
    If you did then
    £450 = €525
    https://www.computeruniverse.net/products/90656676/msi-geforce-gtx1070-gaming-x-8g.asp

Overclockers have them in stock at 380 and 400 sterling or I'm missing something

Yep sorry some of the founders editions are down at 400Sterling.

Aye heads wrecked, couldnt get it working. My friend who has the exact same parts as me (case/motherboard/hard drives/psu/cpu/monitor) all except his old gfx card is like a 660 and mines a 550. He put the card into his and straight to windows no problem.

No idea what the problem is trying to figure it out since last night. So looks like im gonna have to spalsh out on new motherboard/cpu and ram, which i wasnt planning on doing for awhile :(

• Advertisement

He has the exact same parts, as in, also a Medion PC? Also look for an updated bios, in cases where the manufacturer have decided to lock out cards, newer bios should add more support - if newer bios is available.

I doubt you need anything but a new motherboard, the bios limitation would be in the OEM medion motherboard, everything else would be fine to re-use. What chipset is the motherboard/cpu?

yeah same medion but in a different case now the chipset is i think LGA1155 and the motherboard is MS-7728 ver 2.0

My friend has the same motherboard as me, certain its the same chipset and ram too, i asked him if it was the bios and he was adamant it wasnt..

I'm mostly clueless to all this, picking it up as i go :D

What cpu, out of interest? It would want to be a pretty good one not to bottleneck the GTX1070! As in, games would still run at ultra just fine, but instead of getting 100fps you'll get 60-70fps because the CPU is holding it back, which means you'd have paid GTX1070 prices for GTX1060 performance. Boils down to paying €450 and getting €250 worth of performance because the card is being limited by the CPU.

Might be a good reason to simply upgrade the whole system. :)

What cpu, out of interest? It would want to be a pretty good one not to bottleneck the GTX1070! As in, games would still run at ultra just fine, but instead of getting 100fps you'll get 60-70fps because the CPU is holding it back, which means you'd have paid GTX1070 prices for GTX1060 performance. Boils down to paying €450 and getting €250 worth of performance because the card is being limited by the CPU.

Might be a good reason to simply upgrade the whole system. :)

Pretty much. I'm picking up a 1070 on a i5 2500k because the card is my current bottleneck and no point upping th cpu first.
    Need new RAM come to think of it.
    This could all be an early expensive Christmas

Yeah rocking a i7-3770, I'll be splashing out again no doubt, just need to figure out what to buy :confused::)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Pretty much. I'm picking up a 1070 on a i5 2500k because the card is my current bottleneck and no point upping th cpu first.
    Need new RAM come to think of it.
    This could all be an early expensive Christmas

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-is-it-finally-time-to-upgrade-your-core-i5-2500k

Yup, faster DDR3 + some overclock will get you well past 1080p60

nix wrote: »
    Yeah rocking a i7-3770, I'll be splashing out again no doubt, just need to figure out what to buy :confused::)

Actually, neither the 2500K or 3770 are really a problem - 2500K can just be overclocked to a decent level and 3770 is a solid enough processor as it is.

You really just need a new board, which shouldn't be more than €80 or so for a semi-decent chipset - €40 if you go ultra budget and get a H61M (works just fine and won't limit you in terms of gaming but no usb3 and no frills)

Ok done more checking into the Bios thing, my friend is running on version 2.6, I'm on 2.7 and the latest driver update from what i can see is 2.9.

Do you think i should install the 2.9 and give it a try or find a way to have 2.6 installed? or is that even possible? is there anyway to check for sure if they have a limitation on them? would it be worth trying to contact medion? I'm clueless when it comes to bios :pac:

Thanks Terror

Well found the source of my flickering issue, Gsync. Turned it off and everything perfect. Seemingly its not right with 1070's 1080's according to some guy?

Flickering gone anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

that's an incredible slip for these cards.
    I'll definitely be holding off till this is resolved as I just purchased a gsync monitor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Well found the source of my flickering issue, Gsync. Turned it off and everything perfect. Seemingly its not right with 1070's 1080's according to some guy?

Flickering gone anyway

I'm using a 1070 and gsync with no problem at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

I saw some very weird issues yesterday - I had my PC on at about 12 and was playing a bit of Inside and it was working away no problem. Left the PC on for a few hours, idle more or less and then came back to it and turned on both BF4 and Rainbow 6 and was getting awful framerate drops. Had a look at what processes were running and how much RAM/CPU usage was being taken and nothing looked out of the ordinary. Rebooted my PC and started playing Rainbow 6 again and all was fine. No idea what happened! It is probably something other than my GTX 1080 as the rest of the PC is quiet old, fairly worrying ;/

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Zen 2nd

tuxy wrote:
    I'm using a 1070 and gsync with no problem at all.

Yeah no issues here either with a 1080

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Flickering gone anyway

Sometimes having Blur Reduction on causes flickering - turn it off if using gsync

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Nedved85 wrote: »
    I saw some very weird issues yesterday - I had my PC on at about 12 and was playing a bit of Inside and it was working away no problem. Left the PC on for a few hours, idle more or less and then came back to it and turned on both BF4 and Rainbow 6 and was getting awful framerate drops. Had a look at what processes were running and how much RAM/CPU usage was being taken and nothing looked out of the ordinary. Rebooted my PC and started playing Rainbow 6 again and all was fine. No idea what happened! It is probably something other than my GTX 1080 as the rest of the PC is quiet old, fairly worrying ;/

Now this problem I can relate to. It's been happening me and I'm not sure if it's because I have the GPU overclocked. Normally I get a boost clock of over 1900 mhz but when I leave my pc for several hours and come back it will only boost to around 1400 mhz. I don't even have to reboot to fix this. Re-logging to my windows account sorts it out but it's very annoying.

Blazer wrote: »
    that's an incredible slip for these cards.
    I'll definitely be holding off till this is resolved as I just purchased a gsync monitor.

Was only happening with two games in specific. But doing some further reading, seemed to be a common problem with users.

For me it was in World of Warcraft and OverWatch. GSync turned off has fixed it instantly.

Didn't notice it in any other games I've been playing since I got the card(Going back on some old stuff I got in the steam sales, all was fine) .

Considering the games involved my R9 290 was destroying, not having Gsync for either isn't an issue for me at all as the 1070 is getting disgusting FPS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I'm actually getting some texture issues not a Gsync in sight, I suspect drivers have a ways to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

tuxy wrote: »
    Nedved85 wrote: »

Now this problem I can relate to. It's been happening me and I'm not sure if it's because I have the GPU overclocked. Normally I get a boost clock of over 1900 mhz but when I leave my pc for several hours and come back it will only boost to around 1400 mhz. I don't even have to reboot to fix this. Re-logging to my windows account sorts it out but it's very annoying.
    I have mine Overclocked via the GigaByte tool. Fairly annoying - had no such problems with my old 980ti

While not exactly related.
    The new Vulcan update for Doom and the fact a lot of new games inc frostbite will support this later on in the year has made me hold off on pulling the trigger on a MSI 1080
    The update has made a significant performance increase. On my 290x I was averaging around 30 FPS and dropping to 10-15 at times if I were playing at all high and 3440 x 1440 I now am getting a solid 60 with some drops to high 40 FPS. From reading some other forums it would seem that AMD have a much larger increase in performance over Nvidia (for now).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Lads could someone explain the difference between Vulcan and DX12 please? Is vulkan for amd and dx12 for nvidia?

Advertisement