Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia GTX 10xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Something may be faulty with your card if you have to turn off G-Sync. I have never had to turn off G-Sync on any title.
    Maybe ask around and Google your card to see if anyone else has the same issues.

Yeah sorry posted a page or two back, WoW was having this flickering issue and google returned a raft of people indicating Gsync enabled with 10** cards being the issue.

On a basic level, gsync matches your monitors refresh rate with your graphics cards frame output dynamically. You should not be getting tearing of any kind if its working.

Cool I have GSync turned off at the moment, might throw it back on for playing Batman.

WoW the only game GSync was causing this flickering thing

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

TheDoc wrote: »
    Cool I have GSync turned off at the moment, might throw it back on for playing Batman.

WoW the only game GSync was causing this flickering thing

Pretty sure this is the reason why.

http://techreport.com/news/27449/g-sync-monitors-flicker-in-some-games-and-here-why

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Still can't get a 1080 I want nearly two months after release. Think I'll wait and see what the Titan brings at this stage. No doubt you'll need a mortgage to buy one.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

If AMD had anything right now they'd be bitch slapping nvidia all over the place with this stock situation, but they don't so can't, this won't damage nvidia at all, though it should :/ we badly need competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

superg wrote: »
    Still can't get a 1080 I want nearly two months after release. Think I'll wait and see what the Titan brings at this stage. No doubt you'll need a mortgage to buy one.

Ditto. I've an Oculus Rift still sitting here unused since May 28th because I've no GPU to use the damn thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

I pre-ordered an Asus Strix 1080 OC on May 27th. It had particular features and aesthetics I wanted. I stuck with it despite the delays because I locked in a bargain of a price with my pre-order compared to current pricing due to an Asus pricing mistake, Brexit price increases and more favourable exchange rate for me. However in the last couple of weeks I started to look for an alternative as my May 28th Oculus Rift still remains in its box unused because I have no GPU. I found another card I'd be happy with, the Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH. Of course as soon as that became an option for me it went out of stock with undetermined availability too.

I've now reached the end of my tether. Depending on my current position in the pre-order queue and how many cards arrive at OCUK this week, I might well be cancelling. Its getting too close to Titan Launch and then a few months later 1080ti. Rather then switching to some lesser 1080 or even a 1070, I might actually pick up a 980ti instead assuming prices have dropped enough and upgrade easrly next year to a 1080ti.

Have 980ti price levels dropped much yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

980Ti are now slightly cheaper than 1070 new for the most part but still broadly on-par, but the 2nd hand market is starting to very slowly catch up. I wouldn't bother, there are plenty of 1070's available if you're willing to settle for the lesser in demand models. Not so much from a performance perspective - a strong 3rd party 980ti will fight a lesser 1070 excellently. But the resale value is vastly improved and you have a better feature set.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

No point waiting for a Titan or a 1060 if availability is your concern; they're all coming off the same die so unless there's a huge quality problem which results in a large percentage of the wafer being unsuitable for 1080 then the same problem is going to happen.

Actually now that I think about it Titan will be the rebadged Quadro, which uses HBM, so a different die. But the words "Titan" and "Availability" have always been mutually exclusive, no reason to believe things will change this time round.

980Ti are now slightly cheaper than 1070 new for the most part but still broadly on-par, but the 2nd hand market is starting to very slowly catch up. I wouldn't bother, there are plenty of 1070's available if you're willing to settle for the lesser in demand models. Not so much from a performance perspective - a strong 3rd party 980ti will fight a lesser 1070 excellently. But the resale value is vastly improved and you have a better feature set.

Owe you props for the Inno3d recommendation. Really impressed and happy with my x3 iChill. The temps and how quiet it is, really cant stop harping on about it enough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Prices on overclockers start at 240 for the 1060

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

LinusTechTips video:

More raw performance than RX 480 - except in DX12 - but lower value ($/fps).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

According to OC3D, only the Asus Stryxx version of the 1060 so far has GPU Boost 3 and that card will not be cheap :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Prices on overclockers start at 240 for the 1060

I am trying to order the 1060 to Ireland but nVidia don't ship here from UK. I cannot find the 1060 on Overclockers..etc.

Where can I get this shipped to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

BaRcOe wrote: »
    I am trying to order the 1060 to Ireland but nVidia don't ship here from UK. I cannot find the 1060 on Overclockers..etc.

Did you try using parcel motel or addresspal or even parcel wizard?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Here it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Can I get a TL;DW plox?

Thank you!. Ok my next question;

Will it be ok with my mobo?
    https://www.asus.com/ie/Motherboards/Z170I-PRO-GAMING/

Also what is the difference in prices of the 1060s? MSI = 244, Palit = 256..etc. What one should I get?

Note: Its going to be next to an i7 6700K, 16GB RAM..etc on a Mini ITX build

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

It'll be fine, all GPus are compatible with all motherboards.

You'll have to make sure it'll fit into the case though.

Is that a gaming build? You'd be better off with an i5, 8gb ram and a 1070 if so

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

have you room for the cards is the question, may want to make sure you check the lenghts if it is mini itx?

It'll be fine, all GPus are compatible with all motherboards, and it should fit into your case too

Cheers! Any tips on what brand to get? Or is that just user preference?

It'll be fine, all GPus are compatible with all motherboards.

You'll have to make sure it'll fit into the case though.

Is that a gaming build? You'd be better off with an i5, 8gb ram and a 1070 if so

Gaming, yes. Why not my i7 and 16gb ram?
    mossym wrote: »
    have you room for the cards is the question, may want to make sure you check the lengths if it is mini itx?

Yes, its a Bitfenix Prodigy case, I have to sacrifice a couple of drive bays which I don't mind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Gaming, yes. Why not my i7 and 16gb ram?

Yes, its a Bitfenix Prodigy case, I have to sacrifice a couple of drive bays which I don't mind :)

You just need to make sure the GPU is shorter than 320mm, which is pretty huge so you're probably okay.

i5 vs i7 is basically no difference performance wise, 1060 vs 1070 is way bigger, not the thread for it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

TBH they should probably rename this to the 10XX nvidia megathread. Seems just as good a place as any to discuss the epic looking 1060.

Jesus that was quick.

Many Thanks Mods!

Its priced just slightly higher then a Rx480 and beats it for the most part in most titles. Partner cards are already available. Its also runs much cooler with even the stock blower heatsink doing a much better job then the AMD equivalent.

Only downside is no SLI bridge.

Its priced just slightly higher then a Rx480 and beats it for the most part in most titles. Partner cards are already available. Its also runs much cooler with even the stock blower heatsink doing a much better job then the AMD equivalent.

I am about to order the 1060 from Palit on OCUK. Because its in stock and its cheaper than others.

Would it be worth waiting for the MSI to come in stock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I think it's going to be very tight in Europe because of VAT. In the US they really have got the Rx480 at almost pocket money pricing. It pains me to say it but if it's less than €50 in it the 1060 is a much better buy.

On SLI I think it's a case of just flogging the 1060 and upgrading. I think nVidia have it bang on personally with their SLI strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I would be a bit sceptical on any claims of availability, given there are people still waiting over a month for their 1070!

• Advertisement

TBH they should probably rename this to the 10XX nvidia megathread. Seems just as good a place as any to discuss the epic looking 1060.

Jesus that was quick.

Many Thanks Mods!

Tis a very quiet day at work :pac:

Advertisement