Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia GTX 10xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Tis a very quiet day at work

AKA "Pokémon don't spawn near my workplace very often"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Gigabyte 1060 in stock at €280 on mindfactory

http://m.mindfactory.de/product_info.php

Be worth it for anybody about to pull the trigger on a build, I think shipping is €30

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Lu Tze wrote: »
    I would be a bit sceptical on any claims of availability, given there are people still waiting over a month for their 1070!

I think there will be some stock issues but the reality is that with chips of this type, they can produce them at much grater volume then the 1070/1080 equivalent so they will be short lived.

In a ideal world AMD would drop prices of the 480 or hope the 470/460 simple dominate that part of the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

To be fair to AMD the Rx480 represents better price to performance. The issue in europe with tax is we're used to paying more so a few quid doesn't really bother us as much as other markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

tuxy wrote: »
    I thought the latest news on zen was a delay until 2017?
    What do I do about 40% gpu usage until then?

The APUs are coming 2017. CPUs are coming 2016 (AFAIK)
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Get the fastest RAM speeds your motherboard can handle and/or new SSD?

I wouldn't bother with new RAM. Especially with the faster stuff, you really pay through the nose for it. The SSD might be nice. Prices (as ever) have dropped quite a bit over the last while. Picked up 1TB worth for about €250 a couple of weeks back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Is mindfactory.de a good site to use?

I know hwvs used to be the site of choice round these here parts..

It's alot cheaper than say overclockers and scan.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Is mindfactory.de a good site to use?

I know hwvs used to be the site of choice round these here parts..

It's alot cheaper than say overclockers and scan.co.uk

They're reliable & recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Its dead Jim

Wish there was a 1065. Willing to pay more than the cost of a 1060 but want performance closer to the 1070.

Any idea how well the 1060 works for VR? Thinking it might be fine for now but require an upgrade in future so better off with the 1070.

Wish there was a 1065. Willing to pay more than the cost of a 1060 but want performance closer to the 1070.

Any idea how well the 1060 works for VR? Thinking it might be fine for now but require an upgrade in future so better off with the 1070.

2 1080s in SLI are going to need an upgrade for VR by the time it's mainstream. Given it outperforms the RX480 which is fine for VR in the majority of cases a 1060 should be fine. You only really need to go above that if you're using simulators or VorpX. The current Wii type games aren't massively intensive they just require huge frame rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Ordered a Palit 1070 off scan, I'm impatient :)

Will have it Friday.

Off to adverts for my 290 tri-x

• Advertisement

Gtx 1060 cards available for pre-order on overclockers, starting from £229. Wasn't expecting them to be so keenly priced. Once more stock shows up, for both the 1060 and the RX 480 we might see some further price drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Gtx 1060 cards available for pre-order on overclockers, starting from £229. Wasn't expecting them to be so keenly priced. Once more stock shows up, for both the 1060 and the RX 480 we might see some further price drops.

I pre-ordered the KFA2 1060 OC from them yesterday. No idea when it will be available though.

In the meanwhile, will the following adapter work for me:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Original-Dell-DisplayPort-Converter/dp/B0041OF2I6?ie=UTF8&ref_=pe_385721_142272391_TE_item

Basically, i need to convert the display port to the DVI as both my monitors are relatively old and have the old vga to dvi cables.
    Are there any hdcp issues to consider with display port?

I pre-ordered the KFA2 1060 OC from them yesterday. No idea when it will be available though.

In the meanwhile, will the following adapter work for me:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Original-Dell-DisplayPort-Converter/dp/B0041OF2I6?ie=UTF8&ref_=pe_385721_142272391_TE_item

Basically, i need to convert the display port to the DVI as both my monitors are relatively old and have the old vga to dvi cables.
    Are there any hdcp issues to consider with display port?

Do your monitors have dvi? I don't think any of the new cards are doing analogue (VGA) over dvi, so if you only have VGA connections on the monitors you won't be able to get a signal

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Decent price for the 1060, but if Nvidia havnt sorted their manufacturing expect it to be much higher. I ended up paying 500 quid for my 1070, and that had a much lower RRP.

In saying that delighted with my card. Went with the Inno3d x3 iChill. Quiet, runs coo; temps and is absolutely obliterating any game I'm playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

Palit Jetstream 1080 dropped to £599 today on OCUK so I bit the bullet today and got my Skylake upgrade (currently on ivy bridge). Coming from a 970 (Gigabyte G1 Gaming) so can't wait to get the parts and crank up the settings. I'm still on a 1080p monitor but maybe around Christmas I might get a 1440p monitor if they are a bit cheaper or maybe I might just save for a Vive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The GTX1080 will defintiely be a big boost for VR and to some extent 1440p, but surely there's nothing left to crank up at 1080p right now? Unless the game supports resolution scaling...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

The GTX1080 will definitely be a big boost for VR and to some extent 1440p, but surely there's nothing left to crank up at 1080p right now? Unless the game supports resolution scaling...

Well, I can't really manage a stable 60 in GTAV maxed and few other games. It's not really massive but it's the piece of mind of just being able to know for now I just get overkill performance at 1080p. 1440p or VR is definitely on my bucket list though so it just gets me into a position to comfortably get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is Nvidia encouraging reviewers to not use Vulkan? Not sure I'd put it past them...

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

Can someone explain to me as an idiot .. in a nutshell.. I was looking at buying the GTX 1070. The 1080 is too much for what I need, I dont need 4k gaming, just BF1 on ultra etc.

Should I stick with the 1070 or this card a cheaper but nearly on par alternative? Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Are you at 1080p?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭dunworth1

ED E wrote:
    Is Nvidia encouraging reviewers to not use Vulkan? Not sure I'd put it past them...

Kind of what I'd expect from nvidia tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

ED E wrote: »

I watched that video earlier today and I have to say, I kind off annoyed now that I ordered 1060. I was checking benchmarks and everything and 1060 did looked like good bet, but your man in video is kind of on the spot. RX 480 in the long run is just better cheaper card amd has multi gpu ability.

I am annoyed now that I was forced in to getting gpu asap and could not wait for reference cooler 480.

What's the very best version of the 1080 out?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

dunworth1 wrote: »
    What's the very best version of the 1080 out?

Palit GameRock, Gainward Phoenix Golden Sample, MSI Gaming, KFA2/Galax EXOC.

All have big, quiet fans.

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    Palit GameRock, Gainward Phoenix Golden Sample, MSI Gaming, KFA2/Galax EXOC.

Was looking at the gamerock today alright.

Probably be looking at picking up a 1080 next month

-Vega- wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me as an idiot .. in a nutshell.. I was looking at buying the GTX 1070. The 1080 is too much for what I need, I dont need 4k gaming, just BF1 on ultra etc.

Should I stick with the 1070 or this card a cheaper but nearly on par alternative? Thank you :)

1070 is a good bet as is a 980ti if you can find one significantly cheaper than the 1070. That said we'd need to now resolution and refresh (frame) rates.

1080p 60Hz = Rx480/GTX1060 (970 or 980)
    1080p 100Hz+ or 1440p (60Hz) = 1070 (980ti R9 390/x)
    1440p wide (3440x1440p) = 1070 / 1080 (980ti, Fury)
    1440p wide and or 100Hz/4K = 1080

Pascal GTX Titan X Launched

Haaaaaahahahahahaha!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

Serephucus wrote: »
    Pascal GTX Titan X Launched

Haaaaaahahahahahaha!

Does this mean the price will drop for 1080 and 1070?

padair wrote: »

Given that it's NVIDIA we're talking about... Not a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

padair wrote: »

Not a chance. It will be like 1000eu+ job. Completely meaningless for average pc peasants like us.

Advertisement