Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia GTX 10xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

padair wrote: »
    Does this mean the price will drop for 1080 and 1070?

Just confirms that a 1080 Ti is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Well , if the titan is 1000 ish and the 1080 is currently 700 ish, then the ti will be around the 850 mark at launch

Feel bad for AMD, they are missing the high end party and getting a slapping on the 480 mid low end market too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

The Titan X is $1,200. It's Founders only, so no AIB. Expect it to be at least €1,350 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Good lord, then rejig my figures so the ti will a grand, luckily for those with lots of cash, you can sli the titan as if 1 overpowered card wasnt enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Just confirms that a 1080 Ti is possible.

Considering how well the 980Ti sold I can see Ti versions of the 1060, 1070 and 1080.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I'm not so sure about the 1080ti in all honesty. Where do they go? They can't use GP architecture on the titan - you'd have the same card. They can't use HBM you'd have an advantage of the titan - if only on paper. The chips seem clocked as high as they're going to go.

It'll be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Madness going for the Titan X when it comes out - 1080ti on the otherhand sometime next year :)

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Madness going for the Titan X when it comes out - 1080ti on the otherhand sometime next year :)

Maybe late next year an 8Gb model of the titan X essentially (perhaps cut down cuda cores) to boost sales in between generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I'm not so sure about the 1080ti in all honesty. Where do they go? They can't use GP architecture on the titan - you'd have the same card. They can't use HBM you'd have an advantage of the titan - if only on paper. The chips seem clocked as high as they're going to go.

It'll be interesting.

The current 10xx series is using "small Pascal chipset" but the Titan is rumored to use "big pascal" and no reason why the 1080Ti won't use it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

Venom wrote: »
    The current 10xx series is using "small Pascal chipset" but the Titan is rumoured to use "big pascal" and no reason why the 1080Ti won't use it either.

Yes, but it will be still using GDDR5X and won't really be able to go into the 12GB territory. How much is a slightly beefier chipset actually going to improve performance in a gaming situation? If they do a 1080 and a 1080 Ti now considering where the Titan sits there will be serious overlap and I doubt the higher premium on a Ti model will be worth it for just a higher grade chip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

With all the milking NVIDIA's gotten comfortable with doing, unless AMD manage to pull something massive out of the hat with Vega, I don't think we'll see HBM2 until 11 series.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Looks like my 1060 got delivered today. I finish work only 11 tonight. :( Will pop up the fecker when back.
    I think G1 that I got has 8pin connector instead of 6. I wonder if this model will overclocker nicely.

Venom wrote: »
    The current 10xx series is using "small Pascal chipset" but the Titan is rumored to use "big pascal" and no reason why the 1080Ti won't use it either.

Ther 1070 and 1080 share a GPU, the 1060 is a different chip as is the titan.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thegame983

Lads. I know there is fair amount of price gouging going on right now, especially with the 1070s. I know people can't predict the future, but if you will humour me for a moment...

I've got this bad boy in my sights https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gainward-geforce-gtx-1070-phoenix-golden-sample-8192mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-208-gw.html

Including delivery and taxes it comes to €526. If the MSRP in the US is $379 before tax, add say $75 for tax (@20%) and add another $50 for a third party 'premium' card it come to $494 and if we presume us Europeans are screwed with a flat €1 = $1 regardless (as the uk are, msrp there is £379!)

Then it doesn't seem that bad? Am I wrong on all this?

To be honest I am with out a videocard after spilling water on my pc a few weeks ago (its the only component that got damaged) so if it means waiting a month for a 50 quid price reduction I will just bit the bullet now.

Are my calculations above correct or am I off the mark?

Thanks for the help as always

You're over complicating it a bit, just look for a euro based MSRP or convert the sterling. Remember to adjust for the additional VAT we pay.

For the sake of €150 or so I'd go with a 1080 such as EVGAs. You'll probably find them even cheaper with a crappy cooler. I still think a crappy 1080 v brilliant 1070 the 1080 would be a better buy - underclock it if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thegame983

You're over complicating it a bit, just look for a euro based MSRP or convert the sterling. Remember to adjust for the additional VAT we pay.

For the sake of €150 or so I'd go with a 1080 such as EVGAs. You'll probably find them even cheaper with a crappy cooler. I still think a crappy 1080 v brilliant 1070 the 1080 would be a better buy - underclock it if needed.

Thanks dude. Not sure if I want to spend €650 plus on a gpu, but I'm gonna mull over it during the weekend.

Can't actually locate an official Euro MSRP, but a straight conversion from Sterling is €450

thegame983 wrote: »
    Lads. I know there is fair amount of price gouging going on right now, especially with the 1070s. I know people can't predict the future, but if you will humour me for a moment...

I've got this bad boy in my sights https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gainward-geforce-gtx-1070-phoenix-golden-sample-8192mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-208-gw.html

Including delivery and taxes it comes to €526. If the MSRP in the US is $379 before tax, add say $75 for tax (@20%) and add another $50 for a third party 'premium' card it come to $494 and if we presume us Europeans are screwed with a flat €1 = $1 regardless (as the uk are, msrp there is £379!)

Then it doesn't seem that bad? Am I wrong on all this?

To be honest I am with out a videocard after spilling water on my pc a few weeks ago (its the only component that got damaged) so if it means waiting a month for a 50 quid price reduction I will just bit the bullet now.

Are my calculations above correct or am I off the mark?

Thanks for the help as always
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti Superclocked for cheap.

Around the same performance as a 1070.

If you're not happy with its performance, they have their Step Up program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Is that model of 980ti one of the better ones?

Is that model of 980ti one of the better ones?

It won't overclock as well as the more expensive models, but it's quieter & cooler than a reference (blower).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Anybody pick up a Zotac 1080 AMP Edition?

Can find any reviews online,from what i can see temps looks fine but im just looking for info pn fan noise at load

• Advertisement

EoinHef wrote: »
    Anybody pick up a Zotac 1080 AMP Edition?

Can find any reviews online,from what i can see temps looks fine but im just looking for info pn fan noise at load

https://www.computerbase.de/2016-07/geforce-gtx-1080-partnerkarten-vergleich-test/4/

Louder than Palit/Gainward, but quieter than other brands.
    Uses way more power.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    https://www.computerbase.de/2016-07/geforce-gtx-1080-partnerkarten-vergleich-test/4/

Louder than Palit/Gainward, but quieter than other brands.
    Uses way more power.

Thats the Amp Extreme edition,was just looking for the Amp edition but thanks anyway,thats a handy little chart for a quick comparison.

Ive gone sale agreed on a second hand one for €650 on adverts. Cheapest i can find it online is €719 without delivery so thinkin €650 not too bad,comes with reciept and 5 year warranty so covered just incase. Should be picking up tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Okay, 1060 is in. Looks like working. my Old 680 did kicked the bucket and the rest of the system is still alive and kicking. I was afraid it was more then blown GPU.

G1 itself looks really nice. Backplate and all. 8pin connector.

Wont be ocing it tonight or anything, but will try a game or two. I got work tomorrow. :(

edit: oh yeah, one downside is that I cannot use my old vga monitor anymore. :( So i am gone down to one monitor. :(

DSC_1235_zpswg8xkbdk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Gator

I dont know if anyone has heard but they have just announced a new titan for the 2nd of Aug :/

http://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-unveils-powerful-new-titan-x-graphics-card/

Gator wrote: »
    I dont know if anyone has heard but they have just announced a new titan for the 2nd of Aug :/

http://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-unveils-powerful-new-titan-x-graphics-card/

Like you could afford it anyway! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Palit Jetstream 1080 dropped to £599 today on OCUK so I bit the bullet today and got my Skylake upgrade (currently on ivy bridge). Coming from a 970 (Gigabyte G1 Gaming) so can't wait to get the parts and crank up the settings. I'm still on a 1080p monitor but maybe around Christmas I might get a 1440p monitor if they are a bit cheaper or maybe I might just save for a Vive.

Your post prompted me to have a look at the Palits on OCUK. I liked what I saw, saw they had plenty of stock, saw the prices were sane, learned that the same company makes Palit, Galax, KFA2, Gainward and more. The parent company are actually nVidias largest board partner and dominate the asian market.

Thus I finally found a viable alternative for me (availability, aesthetically and cost-wise) to allow me to cancel my May 27th pre-ordered Asus Strix OC with a locked in pre-Brexit price of £635 and thus not reward Asus for their appalling launch. I know the supply problems affected every board partner but Asus literally went into silent running mode and have given vendors no updates or info in 2 months while at least eVGA were keeping their customers and vendors updated even if they shipped not many more cards than Asus.

So I cancelled my Asus Strix OC despite probably being high enough in the queue to be in the next shipment to OCUK.

I ordered a Palit Super Jetstream 1080 for £629(€751). It shipped 2 hours after I ordered.

Also thrilled in a way with the Titan news. I always worried I might regret not getting a low powered low cost placeholder card and waiting for Titan or 1080Ti given my 1080 was delayed 2 months to bring it so close to Titan launch. Not anymore. Incredibly disappointed that its only 11 Tflops compared to the 1080's 9Tflops both at stock, €1300 Titan price which means Ti would be close to a grand. Not worth it for such a small speed bump. No HBM2 memory after all. Now I feel I can rest easy and be happy with my 1080 for the rest of this generation till Volta.

Finally I can take my Oculus Rift out of its box 2 months after receiving it and pop my VR cherry and lose my VRginity! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

EVGA are selling 980ti Hybrid (the water cooled one) for €479. How would that compare to 1080? or indeed even a 1070? Are there enough benefits in the 10 series cards to justify the huge increase in price?

Would there be any advantage of buying a 1070 at all?

http://eu.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=06G-P4-1996-KR

The 1080 is significantly faster than the 980ti. The 980ti OC'd - which presumably the hybrid will do quite well - is on par with a stock 1070.

Incidentally the 980 Hybrid looks pretty good as well for the price is someone has a want for a midrange GPU with water cooling.

EVGA are selling 980ti Hybrid (the water cooled one) for €479. How would that compare to 1080? or indeed even a 1070? Are there enough benefits in the 10 series cards to justify the huge increase in price?

Would there be any advantage of buying a 1070 at all?

http://eu.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=06G-P4-1996-KR

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/89717-evga-geforce-gtx-980-ti-hybrid-gaming/?page=11

1070 would use less power, but the temps on that Hybrid are amazing!

• Advertisement

Got my 1080 today,just finished putting it in,downloading drivers now.

Cant wait to throw a few games at it:)

Advertisement