Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia GTX 10xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Serephucus wrote: »
    Just that they're not a tier 1 brand, and I'd sort of associated them with cheap-and-cheerful stuff.

not a tier 1 brand? palit are the largest

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Sauce?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Very nice article, cheers. Consider opinion on Palit changed. :P

Serephucus wrote: »
    Very nice article, cheers. Consider opinion on Palit changed. :P

all is forgiven :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Not sure if this is correct but some quick googling reveals that palit owns pny, gainward and galax

tuxy wrote: »
    Not sure if this is correct but some quick googling reveals that palit owns pny, gainward and galax

yep correct

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

dunworth1 wrote: »
    yep correct

It is because they own so many different brands that they are the biggest. The likes of EVGA would be a larger company(Kind of) like they just own their own company. Like if you compare PNY sales against EVGA, EVGA would be larger.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

tuxy wrote: »

Don't forget KFA2 (same model coolers as Galax).

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Keggers2

Welp, I went and ordered myself a Super Jetstream! Now, to sit looking at the door like a patient golden retriever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Not really, just have had good experience with EVGA cards. Like the larger dual fans and dual BIOS, other than that I'd be happy with any 1080 TBH.

My 1080 died after like 3 weeks :(
    but, got onto EVGA and they sent out a replacement in less then a week. Was a brand new boxed one too. Hard to complain with that service, granted it would have been better if it didnt break at all... but atleast EVGA do earn they "good customer service" reputation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i got a palit card a couple of weeks ago, 1070, no complaints, works perfectly, nice and quiet. couple others who ordered on the same deal had DOA cards though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    Not really, just have had good experience with EVGA cards. Like the larger dual fans and dual BIOS, other than that I'd be happy with any 1080 TBH.

My 1080 died after like 3 weeks :(
    but, got onto EVGA and they sent out a replacement in less then a week. Was a brand new boxed one too. Hard to complain with that service, granted it would have been better if it didnt break at all... but atleast EVGA do earn they "good customer service" reputation.
    What 1080 was it? Just curious!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

not a tier 1 brand? palit are the largest
    The largest though in any business doesn't mean the most reputable.

You still have to look at each brands to see if they have quality components, good warranty, customer care, handy RMA process, etc, etc.

The largest though in any business doesn't mean the most reputable.

You still have to look at each brands to see if they have quality components, good warranty, customer care, handy RMA process, etc, etc.

well if they wernt good i dont see how they would become the largest.
    if you arent selling a good product people wont continue to buy

considing they have been around since the 80s i doubt they are trash

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I got bored waiting and tried to do an impulse buy of the EVGA 1080 Superclocked. I phoned EVGA in Germany but they dont have stock. I tried my very best to convince them to sell to me from their RMA stock, but they wouldn't do it. They expect more in next week by which point I will probably have seen sense and decided to wait it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

well if they wernt good i dont see how they would become the largest.
    if you arent selling a good product people wont continue to buy

considing they have been around since the 80s i doubt they are trash

Does mcdonalds make the best burgers in the world?

Does mcdonalds make the best burgers in the world?

did i say best? and too some people they do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Not a big fan of Palit, I find a lot of their cards have very cheap coolers and although they perform OK they look and feel flimsy. Everytime I think of Palit I think of that awful frog character they had on their 6 and 7 series cards....:)

palit_7600gt_1.jpg

Not a big fan of Palit, I find a lot of their cards have very cheap coolers and although they perform OK they look and feel flimsy. Everytime I think of Palit I think of that awful frog character they had on their 6 and 7 series cards....:)
    ]

From my research the Palit cooler is one of the best for the 1000 series anyway

The Jetstream 1060 is runs cooler under load than the Asus and msi
    d94a34dc-80db-40b8-a9d3-b6f6372511c8.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Well I did say they perform OK but they just look and feel flimsy. I've owned some of the normal Jetstream cards and I found the cooler very lightweight and cheap feeling. The Super Jetstream is a better card than the regular Jetstream.

edit: Also to add I have had DOA experience with Palit cards before.

Well I did say they perform OK but they just look and feel flimsy. I've owned some of the normal Jetstream cards and I found the cooler very lightweight and cheap feeling. The Super Jetstream is a better card than the regular Jetstream.

Do they need to be solid? It's designed to sit inside a pc case. If it does the job it's supposed to do i dont see why it needs to be super strong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

Cheap feeling is just an aesthetic thing, the cooler performs and that's the most important thing.

To be perfectly honest the regular Jetstream 1080 I have performs just as well as a lot of the EVGA, MSI etc. crowd and given the price difference is it really worth the near £100 premium for something like an FTW?

To be perfectly honest the regular Jetstream 1080 I have performs just as well as a lot of the EVGA, MSI etc. crowd and given the price difference is it really worth the near £100 premium for something like an FTW?

It just shows the power of marketing

From my research the Palit cooler is one of the best for the 1000 series anyway

lab_researcher.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Funny enough my 680 was Palit. It was stock cooler, but still, it died on me for no reason. I wonder if you do go with those cheaper brands, maybe they are getting worse gpu stock? Just an example not A+, but A.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

You guys are funny...£100 premium...Palit Super JetStream is about 40 euro cheaper than the FTW. I'd buy either but if I had a preference it would be EVGA all day.

Getting all narky about what other people spend their money on....lol.

• Advertisement

Funny enough my 680 was Palit. It was stock cooler, but still, it died on me for no reason. I wonder if you do go with those cheaper brands, maybe they are getting worse gpu stock? Just an example not A+, but A.

i doubt that its more then likely they just have less of a margin on it.

you'd be surprised how much people will pay for the same or even sometime inferior version just because it has a different badge on it.
    its all marketing and brainwashing

Advertisement