Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia GTX 10xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Reviews are up and its looking a pretty damm good card.

LinusTechTips
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-61Zn4Sb8Q

Paul's Hardware
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYdzZzSzF2I

Hardware Canucks
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cLYn937ZFE

KitCuruTech - Best video so far
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPKIx1-MkdE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Way too much coming in too short a time for me to commit. It's going to be very exciting over the next 6-9 months.

As I'm rocking a water cooled R9-290 I can wait but it's going to be tough :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I think its interesting looking at the fury-x benchmarks vs the TitanX a few months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Looks like I wasn't too far off predicting nearly double the performance over the previous gen.

Sick numbers especially the overclocking potential. 2.2ghz+ wtf and that's with a stock cooler and a single 8 pin power. What are the 3rd party cards going to be able to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'd feel really really bad for anyone who bought a Titan X in the last few months. Or I would, if I wasn't insanely jealous about the amount of money they had to spend on a GPU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭CS Hasuki

It's a shame it is so power limited. Blocks on these would be a complete waste of time.

Otherwise lovely card. The price though is madness.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

CS Hasuki wrote: »
    It's a shame it is so power limited. Blocks on these would be a complete waste of time.

Otherwise lovely card. The price though is madness.

There could be a third party card with an extra power connector on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭CS Hasuki

There could be a third party card with an extra power connector on it.

Ah yeah, but then you are into finding blocks that fit custom a pcb. Think I will wait this one out and see big pascal and vega.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

1080 launch prices. **** sake.
    Guru3D wrote:
    World prices then (suggested MSRP for Founders edition):

Serbian Dinar RSD 96,900
    Czech Koruna CZK 21,400
    Danish Krone DKK 6,150
    Germany EUR 789
    France EUR 789
    British Pound GBP 619
    Hungarian Forint HUF 259,850
    Norwegian Krone NOK 7,599
    Polish Zloty PLN 3,599
    Romanian New Lei RON 3,499
    Russian Rouble RUB 54,990
    Indian Rupee INR 63,250
    Swedish Krona SEK 7,699
    Turkish Lira TRY 2,850
    South African Rand ZAR 13,599
    Switzerland CHF 790
    UAE AED 2,850
    USA USD 699

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-review,30.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

That is a steep premium for new tech, will probably take 6 months or more to get to a reasonable level.

Then again, good few folks are going to shell out to get the best of the best.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That's for the founders edition. The normal edition is cheaper. I'd say it'll be a few weeks before normal and third party versions come along so it's just a way of gouging those who have to have the latest tech instantly. Pretty shítey thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I knew people were getting carried away without considering EU prices.

People on adverts demanding cuts on the prices of graphic cards saying 'hey, they're new graphics cards out for only X amount of dollars.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

And the cheaper non-FE will have terrible coolers. I really want AMD to pull something out of the bag for the consumer's sake.

Dair76 wrote: »
    And the cheaper non-FE will have terrible coolers. I really want AMD to pull something out of the bag for the consumer's sake.

Why would they? They'll be the standard third-party cards (ASUS Strix, Gigabyte's WindForce, etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I knew people were getting carried away without considering EU prices.

People on adverts demanding cuts on the prices of graphic cards saying 'hey, they're new graphics cards out for only X amount of dollars.'

No harm in that at all. Some people on adverts trying to sell stuff that's a year or two old for close to the original price is crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Big difference though between advertising a price to offset the inevitable shitposting and accepting a decent offer, versus refusing to accept anything but the RRP despite the fact that your card is 2nd hand, used, with less or no warranty.

On the other hand, as above, I see so much messing - guy offering 100 for a GTX970 'because the new cards are way faster and will be 300 new and urs is 2nd hand'. At this point I still think €500 is fair for a 980Ti and €250 for a GTX970, assuming they're good models and have some warranty. Personally would never buy any graphics card off someone that doesn't have very solid feedback.

What I have noticed is a raft of people selling R9 290's, including the atrocious reference model, for prices like 300-350 and refusing excellent offers like 220-250. :confused:

Those prices for the 1080 would make it the same as the 980Ti was when it was first released. Even with the whole founders edition, I'd still expect the cheaper, no frills custom versions to be about 699.

Serephucus wrote: »
    Why would they? They'll be the standard third-party cards (ASUS Strix, Gigabyte's WindForce, etc.)

The ones that are the MSRP will have very basic coolers. The STRIX, Windforce etc will NOT be the low MSRP.

What we reckon the 1070 be then going by them prices it will be touching 400 to 450 for the none founders??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

The ones that are the MSRP will have very basic coolers. The STRIX, Windforce etc will NOT be the low MSRP.

Big triple fan coolers probably aren't needed anyways, if its throttling due to power limits and not heat

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Big triple fan coolers probably aren't needed anyways, if its throttling due to power limits and not heat

True, although I'd be worried about noise with the cheap coolers myself.

• Advertisement

We don't know this. Usually there isn't that much of a premium for stuff like Strix. I've seen the difference as low as €20 between third-party (decent), and reference.

We don't know it, no. I'm just giving an opinion.

I just don't think the price of the better cards will be anywhere near basic stuff like this Galax for instance. Also, the pricing on previous reference cards (from when the Titan style blower was introduced) were anomalous - they were made in limited quantities and the prices would go up over the life of the GPU, as the quantities dwindled. So depending on when you compared them, the price gap could have been small, sure. But at launch, I just don't think custom cards with custom coolers will be near the MSRP of the most basic cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

jayo26 wrote: »
    What we reckon the 1070 be then going by them prices it will be touching 400 to 450 for the none founders??

I'm interested in the 1070 version alright.

Having bought a second hand 290 last year I'm pretty much sorted. Play mostly WoW which isn't overly intense, and The Division is running fine for me. But if the 1070 is a really nice performance boost for an attractive price, could be tempted.

My April/May "Treat myself" list is growing a bit ridiculous, a new GPU entering the mix is going to make me have to drop something from the list :D

I've been reading up about 144hz monitors. I guess I should hang off to see the 1070 and how that goes, as I don't want to drop €250 on a freesync monitor if I then change GPU :D

At the same time, I'm always skeptical buying straight into a new line of GPU's. Quality issues and driver issues, tend to try leave them be for a while and see what happens.

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'm interested in the 1070 version alright.

Having bought a second hand 290 last year I'm pretty much sorted. Play mostly WoW which isn't overly intense, and The Division is running fine for me. But if the 1070 is a really nice performance boost for an attractive price, could be tempted.

My April/May "Treat myself" list is growing a bit ridiculous, a new GPU entering the mix is going to make me have to drop something from the list :D

I've been reading up about 144hz monitors. I guess I should hang off to see the 1070 and how that goes, as I don't want to drop €250 on a freesync monitor if I then change GPU :D

At the same time, I'm always skeptical buying straight into a new line of GPU's. Quality issues and driver issues, tend to try leave them be for a while and see what happens.

Im collecting a 970 from a guy on adverts later getting it for 250 im gonna sell it on again in few months and upgrad then. Im only going to be doing 1080p on a 48 inch tv so i dont think im in a hurry to go for a 1070 when i think about it so ill wait and see what Comes towards end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Does it look like the cooler on the 1080/1070 Founders Edition will be good enough for overclocking? I don't feel like waiting for the Windforce etc, as my Vive will be arriving very soon, and if the effective price difference and performance won't really be significant (50 quid more for an overclocked Founders, vs waiting for the other models a bit closer to the reference price), I might just go straight in for the Founders. It's an impatience tax, but be damned if I'm gonna sit watching a Vive on my desk for weeks.

Zillah wrote: »
    Does it look like the cooler on the 1080/1070 Founders Edition will be good enough for overclocking? I don't feel like waiting for the Windforce etc, as my Vive will be arriving very soon, and if the effective price difference and performance won't really be significant (50 quid more for an overclocked Founders, vs waiting for the other models a bit closer to the reference price), I might just go straight in for the Founders. It's an impatience tax, but be damned if I'm gonna sit watching a Vive on my desk for weeks.

You might have a choice of card on launch day after all. This was posted by the main editor over on Hard Forum;

xXAXRd.png

If true, there'll be plenty of flavours available on the 27th. An EVGA rep said on their own forums that they had multiple models ready to go as well.

If true, there'll be plenty of flavours available on the 27th. An EVGA rep said on their own forums that they had multiple models ready to go as well.

Oh sweet, much happier now. I'm guessing they're probably all going to be around the same price anyway but at least I won't have the nagging feeling that I'm wasting money just for the sake of getting it a little early.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

jayo26 wrote: »
    Im collecting a 970 from a guy on adverts later getting it for 250 im gonna sell it on again in few months and upgrad then. Im only going to be doing 1080p on a 48 inch tv so i dont think im in a hurry to go for a 1070 when i think about it so ill wait and see what Comes towards end of the year.

1070 sounds all nice(without even seeing benches) but when I probably really ask myself, how much MORE fps do I need in WoW. I can get 120fps in my current setup, yet I have everything locked to 60 :D

Maybe a 144hz monitor better to go for first, but then because of this BULL**** proprietary ****, I need to probably think about what GPU might come down the line.

EDIT: 1070 rumoured at $379 dollars and according to Endgaget quoting NVIDIA "Will roughly perform at the same level as a Titan x" what the ****?

I bought a basic 144hz Asus monitor for first-person shooters. Then I set the fps max in CSGO to 144. Works absolutely perfectly, and I can never, ever go back. Even 60fps looks like mud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

so what sort of money do ye think we will get charged for the 1080 here? i know its between $600-$700 in the states but eu always seems to get shafted on the price :( are we looking at a direct 1 to 1 with the dollar price

Advertisement