Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia GTX 10xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Better stop drinking the cool aid jim,were all brainwashed......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

Strange assumption for sure, unless you buy the cheapest you're brainwashed I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

dunworth1 wrote: »
    you'd be surprised how much people will pay for the same or even sometime inferior version just because it has a different badge on it.
    its all marketing and brainwashing

But look at all the cool LEDs

ZfuFiJH.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

You guys are funny...£100 premium...Palit Super JetStream is about 40 euro cheaper than the FTW. I'd buy either but if I had a preference it would be EVGA all day.

Getting all narky about what other people spend their money on....lol.

I was talking about jetstream-FTW not super jetstream-FTW. Right now with Irish VAT, a Jetstream is £635.49 whereas an FTW is £707.24

No, I have no problem with what you buy. What I don't get is people saying just because it's "flimsy" and cheaper it's somehow a worse performer. From what I've looked at my Palit is just as good as an FTW. It's just people justifying spending more on something they think is somehow superior even though the cards are the same...

Honestly, I only went Palit because the Jetstream was the only card with a decent cooler at £599. I was waiting for an FTW but the prices are a lot higher than we were lead to believe and the stock situation was and seems to be still a complete disaster. The FTW was the 619 or whatever it was on OCUK for pre-order I would have ordered on but not at the current asking price.

I was talking about jetstream-FTW not super jetstream-FTW. Right now with Irish VAT, a Jetstream is £635.49 whereas an FTW is £707.24

No, I have no problem with what you buy. What I don't get is people saying just because it's "flimsy" and cheaper it's somehow a worse performer. From what I've looked at my Palit is just as good as an FTW. It's just people justifying spending more on something they think is somehow superior even though the cards are the same...

Honestly, I only went Palit because the Jetstream was the only card with a decent cooler at £599. I was waiting for an FTW but the prices are a lot higher than we were lead to believe and the stock situation was and seems to be still a complete disaster. The FTW was the 619 or whatever it was on OCUK for pre-order I would have ordered on but not at the current asking price.

Stock situation is dire for sure but fluctuations in sterling isn't helping either.
    FTW was in stock during the week from EVGA directly for 780 euro delivered, approx £670 which isn't too bad IMO.

Don't think anyone said it was a worse performer, as far as I can tell all 1080s are near enough performing very similarly anyway. I like the idea of a second bios just in case any interesting BIOS's show up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i doubt that its more then likely they just have less of a margin on it.

you'd be surprised how much people will pay for the same or even sometime inferior version just because it has a different badge on it.

That's true. I am not really a snob. Had Asus 570 and it was damn 3 sloter pain in a hole. Not much overclock too. Got Palit 680 stock and was grand amd could overclock well with everything unlocked. Now got that gigabyte 1060, which was one of the most expensive ones amd ot has fecking voltage locked... To my defence I only bought that particular one, because it was the only one in stock and I was in a rush.

Linus did that rx470 review amd he had 2 cards. Sapphire amd some other one fancy and more expensive one. In the end sapphire overclocked and did way better, because the other card was throtteling and gimped.
    So yeah, more expensive does not mean better in gpu world. Cheaper versions end up now being actually better and cheaper. Paying for badge as said before.
    The only thing I wonder if chips themselves are lower grade in cheaper manufacturer cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Don't think anyone said it was a worse performer, as far as I can tell all 1080s are near enough performing very similarly anyway. I like the idea of a second bios just in case any interesting BIOS's show up.

Is this normal? When I look on the EVGA site it shows the stock and the boost clocks of all of the variants. The difference between them all is tiny. What are you actually getting choosing one over the other? I always thought there was a noticeable difference between the different variants.

Is this normal? When I look on the EVGA site it shows the stock and the boost clocks of all of the variants. The difference between them all is tiny. What are you actually getting choosing one over the other? I always thought there was a noticeable difference between the different variants.

The reason I personally have picked the FTW over any of the other variants is the FTW has a bigger cooler and slighty larger fans (open to correction) and the dual bios. The extra bits and pieces i.e.extra power phases, RGB lighting and tiny bumps in boost clock speeds didn't enter the equation for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

What are the benefits of a dual BIOS? I just game on my PC, would I see real world benefits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

i doubt that its more then likely they just have less of a margin on it.

Do you own shares in Palit or something? You seem to be taking exception to people's opinion on their cards.

My GTX1070 is an iChill x3, was also the cheapest 3rd party 1070 available when I bought it. It has a hefty overclock and an excellent rock solid cooler - and has a real premium feel to the finish as well as a metal backplate.

By comparison the last Palit Jetstream I had was a barebone card with a cheap all plastic cooler made from the same material that made 'Spodor-man' in the local Euro2 store.

Does it mean it's a bad card? No. Does it mean it's not perfectly fine for a lot of people? No. No-one actually said that in any case. But does that make it 'the same' as other cards offered by MSI, EVGA, Inno3D, etc? No, in some cases and for many reasons. It depends on what a person wants from a card.

To say that it's all marketing and brainwashing is a bit ridiculous. The quality of Jetstream cards just isn't great in my opinion. That matters to a lot of people. Other people don't care as long as the card works. I haven't used the GTX1070 jetstream, but I've had a GTX770 and 970 JS. And added to that, my experience of DOA cards - I've had 2 ever and they were both Palit.

• Advertisement

What are the benefits of a dual BIOS? I just game on my PC, would I see real world benefits?

If you're into tinkering with modded bios it can be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Do you own shares in Palit or something? You seem to be taking exception to people's opinion on their cards.

My GTX1070 is an iChill x3, was also the cheapest 3rd party 1070 available when I bought it. It has a hefty overclock and an excellent rock solid cooler - and has a real premium feel to the finish as well as a metal backplate.

Nope i dont own shares in palit at all. ive never even owned a palit card (well not until my 1080 arrives) previous cards were evga and asus

you say i'm taking exception but you are doing exactly that with regard to palit cards

i have no issue with people buying card for fancy light and "premium" feel
    i disagree with saying because it dosent have lights and a "premium" feel that it is somewhat a budget brand and not good enough

my card will be sitting safe inside my case so theres no need to have rock-solid fins etc.. i'm not going to be throwing around my card.

marketing is a very powerful thing if done correctly it can make you appear superior while actually being inferior (note i'm not saying any of the other cards are inferior).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Nope i dont own shares in palit at all. ive never even owned a palit card (well not until my 1080 arrives) previous cards were evga and asus
    So you have no experience with the brand at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭dunworth1

So you have no experience with the brand at all...

nope none at all

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

so what is the best 1080 at the moment? looking at the gigabyte extreme premium as i like gigabyte, would love a cool quite card after my experiences with amds top end over the last 5 years ��

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

so what is the best 1080 at the moment? looking at the gigabyte extreme premium as i like gigabyte, would love a cool quite card after my experiences with amds top end over the last 5 years ��

Hard to say. They all seem to achieve the same or similar speeds even with the lower end 1080's. So you are looking more at the cooling, pretty things like lights, fan noise, etc.

I'm a bit biased towards the MSI cards due to familiarity and the Gaming X line looks great based on reviews. Though I'll probably go with the Armor OC when I eventually do get one, if only for the cost.

Nail on head Xenoronin.

what are brands like inno3d and zotac like for customer service? would love evga as i here nothing but good about their cs but there never in stock

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Whichever one has the biggest cooler that will fit in your case. It's all about cooling with these cards. The water cooled ones are comfortably hitting over 2100mhz on the core without issue. The air cooled ones get over 2000Mhz mostly if the cooler is decent. I have a MSI Gaming X and I can get it between 2050-2075mhz generally at 70-75c while gaming.

There was a lot of QC issues with Gigabyte Xtreme card due to their packaging so I'd check that out if I was you. Bent fins, fans rubbing off the shroud etc.

what are brands like inno3d and zotac like for customer service? would love evga as i here nothing but good about their cs but there never in stock

Set up a notification on EVGA EU website...they pop up every couple of weeks.

• Advertisement

Set up a notification on EVGA EU website...they pop up every couple of weeks.

see that just annoys me though, when i get my money i dont want to wait to buy something :D its a joke tbh that stock levels havnt fixed themselves

superg wrote: »
    Whichever one has the biggest cooler that will fit in your case. It's all about cooling with these cards. The water cooled ones are comfortably hitting over 2100mhz on the core without issue. The air cooled ones get over 2000Mhz mostly if the cooler is decent. I have a MSI Gaming X and I can get it between 2050-2075mhz generally at 70-75c while gaming.

There was a lot of QC issues with Gigabyte Xtreme card due to their packaging so I'd check that out if I was you. Bent fins, fans rubbing off the shroud etc.

good to know thanks :)

see that just annoys me though, when i get my money i dont want to wait to buy something :D its a joke tbh that stock levels havnt fixed themselves

I can understand that man. Be about a month before I can purchase so hopefully availability will have sorted itself out by then. #unlikely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

I can understand that man. Be about a month before I can purchase so hopefully availability will have sorted itself out by then. #unlikely

This was my thinking at the end of June, then through July was constantly saying "oh yeah the stock will be fine soon". I gave up at the end of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Asking questions

Heading to Chicago in August, thinking of picking up the EVGA SC 1070 for $449.99 at Best Buy.

Do you guys think this is a good plan? Not sure if it's alright for me to bring a videocard back through customs or if it's a good card to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Heading to Chicago in August, thinking of picking up the EVGA SC 1070 for $449.99 at Best Buy.

Do you guys think this is a good plan? Not sure if it's alright for me to bring a videocard back through customs or if it's a good card to get.

It's grand. I've done this several times.

Wanna pick me up one? :D

Serephucus wrote: »
    It's grand. I've done this several times.

Wanna pick me up one? :D

Excellent that's a relief, did you take it out of the packaging or anything?

Haha that's a slippery slope, I'd end up smuggling a suitcase full of videocards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Mix. Some of the time (if it's a laptop or something) I'll take it out of the box and stick it in my bad or whatever. One time, when I was buying components for a rig update, I had... An SSD, two GPUs, a CPU, cooler, and I think RAM, all in their boxes in my suitcase. No-one batted an eye.

It's your stuff, and I'm 99% sure that legally you don't have to declare anything, as long as the overall value doesn't exceed $10,000, and you're not planning on reselling anything. Even then, I doubt anyone gives a toss about this smaller stuff.

Grand so, I was wary of taking it out of the packaging since I was afraid of damaging it or some other misfortune.

I'm also thinking of picking up some other components so this is encouraging. Heading through customs with a bunch of random electronics will be fun though. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Id break the seal on the box but not open it beyond that. Its clear then that your not going to resell it as new so it will be grand.

Whatever you do dont wrap it in tinfoil or the likes to "protect" it. Was in the airport a few years ago and some chap thought that that would protect his laptop in his bag in this way. Alarms went off and they pulled his bag apart and then the laptop came out, out of the tinfoil to be scanned a few times to be sure. He got some funny looks to be sure.

Advertisement