Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia GTX 10xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Heading to Chicago in August, thinking of picking up the EVGA SC 1070 for $449.99 at Best Buy.

Do you guys think this is a good plan? Not sure if it's alright for me to bring a videocard back through customs or if it's a good card to get.

Got a mate that comes back from SF every 3 months or so, might get him to grab one :P If indeed ti is that much cheaper.

Whats the story then with warranty? Does it need to go back via best buy?

And an unrelated note, do you know why the FTW DT version on the site is $10 more expensive than the SC, yet worse clock speeds?
    http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-6274-KR

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Shougeki wrote: »
    Got a mate that comes back from SF every 3 months or so, might get him to grab one :P If indeed ti is that much cheaper.

Whats the story then with warranty? Does it need to go back via best buy?

And an unrelated note, do you know why the FTW DT version on the site is $10 more expensive than the SC, yet worse clock speeds?

with tax, that's going to be close to 500 dollars, or 443 euros, gaming edition on overclockers is 480 euros in stock right now, and you won't have to wait 3 months and will have a get out of jail card if it is DOA. do you think it's really that much cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

mossym wrote: »
    with tax, that's going to be close to 500 dollars, or 443 euros, gaming edition on overclockers is 480 euros in stock right now, and you won't have to wait 3 months and will have a get out of jail card if it is DOA. do you think it's really that much cheaper?

If you did get stung by customs your savings would disappear too, something else to consider.

Might be unlikely but it could happen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Redfox25 wrote: »
    If you did get stung by customs your savings would disappear too, something else to consider.

Might be unlikely but it could happen.

very true. if you either declare, or customs stop you, you pay irish VAT on the purchase price of the card in Ireland, not what was paid for it. i'd had to see what the purchase price in ireland is. :)

as you said, unlikely, but possible

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Shougeki wrote: »
    Heading to Chicago in August, thinking of picking up the EVGA SC 1070 for $449.99 at Best Buy.

Do you guys think this is a good plan? Not sure if it's alright for me to bring a videocard back through customs or if it's a good card to get.

Edit. Read the post wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Definitely wait for reviews; the rumour mills are pointing to a vastly cut-down card compared to GTX 1060 6Gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

how are 1070's performing in sli vs say a single 1080?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Grand so, I was wary of taking it out of the packaging since I was afraid of damaging it or some other misfortune.

I'm also thinking of picking up some other components so this is encouraging. Heading through customs with a bunch of random electronics will be fun though. :)
    I don't really think its worth the saving. What if an issue arises with the card and you need to RMA it. Many graphic card warranties get you to bring it back to the retailer if an issue arises in year 1 meaning it would have to go through its RMA process from where you bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Asking questions

I don't really think its worth the saving. What if an issue arises with the card and you need to RMA it. Many graphic card warranties get you to bring it back to the retailer if an issue arises in year 1 meaning it would have to go through its RMA process from where you bought it.

Well I had a look around the EVGA website, they mention that a faulty product can be RMA'd regardless of whether or not you transfer across regions. I think that would suit me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Was trying out Arkham Origins last night on my new XB271HUI with a 970. Getting average 120ish in combat which seems grand. Think ill hold off for a few months and get a new card here in the EU. At that point i'll havce to decide between a 1070 and a 1080 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 26 TheMasterPrawn

I got the EVGA 1060 SC , clock at 2,000 out of the box, which is more than advertised. Its quiet and all my games are not maxxed out. SFV looks great, the Witcher looks amazing. The only problem game is Just Cause 3, but this seems to have problems with any card OverClocked. I game at 1080 as its my monitor choice.

For some reason I cannot post links to anything yet.

So very happy so Far. Doom is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭Julez

Well I had a look around the EVGA website, they mention that a faulty product can be RMA'd regardless of whether or not you transfer across regions. I think that would suit me.

Hey, just on this, I bought EVGA GTX 770 a few years ago while I was in the States and when I came back and booted her up it kept freezing when running games. Had no problems at all with RMA and it was replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Eoghan S

Lads was looking on amazon and found an Asus GTX1060 for £240..... You think it's legit, or will they simply refund me in a few weeks for a mistaken price?
    It's an extra £30 everywhere else.
    Link :https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01IUA9Z52/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Edit: About to pull the trigger on it, but I don't want to be wasting my time when I could snap up a Palit one for an extra £10 on ocuk. What are your thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Usually dispatched within 1 to 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭dunworth1

got my palit super jetsream 1080 today

build quality seems fine to me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Has anyone else experienced coil whine with their 1080?
    I am on my second from EVGA now and this one is a lot louder then the previous [which just died after 3 weeks].
    Wondering is it within acceptable levels and I am being too fussy with it. It can definitely be heard over the noise of its fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Nothing on my one. I have seen reports of coil whine being related to PSU's and when people got a better psu, their 1080 coil whine disappeared.

dunworth1 wrote: »
    got my palit super jetsream 1080 today

build quality seems fine to me

interested in one myself, hows performance, noise and temps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    Has anyone else experienced coil whine with their 1080?
    I am on my second from EVGA now and this one is a lot louder then the previous [which just died after 3 weeks].
    Wondering is it within acceptable levels and I am being too fussy with it. It can definitely be heard over the noise of its fans.

I have with my MSI 1080 but, it only ever occurs when I launch Steam VR. No other game I've tested it with causes it to happen.

• Advertisement

Try limiting your frames to the max your monitor can display. Sometimes during loading screens the gpu ramps up the fps to silly levels and puts itself under pressure and thus can lead to coil whine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Is it an OC version or have you OC'd it? Do you monitor temps and can you see at what point the card gets stressed?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Bruno Batista

Got a Zotac 1070 Amp Extreme! from overclockers as a B Grade, 350 pounds.
    Take it out of the box and apart from the seal being broken, it's almost untouched, no scratches or anything, looks like maybe someone bought it and didn't like it after a day or two or just didn't fit the case.

Think I lucked out there, amazing card!
    Running Rise of The Tomb Raider with everything maxed out on 1080p (baby steps, I can see a 1440p monitor for Christmas if I am a good boy) and the fans either don't kick in or are quiet as hell, can't hear a single thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Eoghan S

Just ordered an inno3D Gaming OC 1060, was sick of waiting for 480s to come back in stock. Snagged free shipping from ocuk too, saved me 10!

seems like a great price for an evga 1080 classified, wonder how long until they get stock

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

seems like a great price for an evga 1080 classified, wonder how long until they get stock

€800 sounds like madness,

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Same price as the evga site who also don't have stock. Not a great price at all though :/

That card is £800 on overclockers, the ftw edition is going for the same price in most places, don't get me wrong its crazy money but for that specific card it seems like a nice price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Should probably have given more back info.
    Card is actually a replacement, other one died on me after like 3 weeks!
    To be fair to EVGA they replaced it with a brand 1080 SC.
    The PSU is a seasonic 750 watt, previous graphics card was a 780ti.
    superg wrote: »
    Nothing on my one. I have seen reports of coil whine being related to PSU's and when people got a better psu, their 1080 coil whine disappeared.

Have heard the same but I thought the seasonic was seen as a premium brand, also the previous card [780ti] and the original 1080 I had, didn't appear to have any coil whine under normal conditions. The 780ti alright, if left to display some huge frames, when set to unlimited and displaying a menu or something, would scream like a banshee! But never did when limited to the monitor refresh.
    Redfox25 wrote: »
    Try limiting your frames to the max your monitor can display. Sometimes during loading screens the gpu ramps up the fps to silly levels and puts itself under pressure and thus can lead to coil whine.

I have a g-sync monitor and its set to 144hz. It seems to be whining away once the GPU load reaches about 80-90%. Was testing with hardware monitor and playing witcher 3.
    Hal1 wrote: »
    Is it an OC version or have you OC'd it? Do you monitor temps and can you see at what point the card gets stressed?

I have the "superclocked" version alright which is their factory OC'ed version. Out of the box it was whining, I have already added another 100hz to the clock speed, still the same.

Have heard it can disappear after awhile but mixed reports on that.
    Not sure what to do, don't really fancy going through the RMA procedure again but at the same time this card wasn't exactly cheap either.
    Not to mention I was waiting close to 5 weeks from when I originally ordered.

Still... playing something like Doom on ultra @ 1440p/144hz makes it all worth while.

• Advertisement

Try undervolting it and see if the coil whine goes away. If you can get your hands on a different psu thats worth a try too, even if its just a loaner to see if your current psu is causing the whine. (its not that its under pressure or the likes with that card but it might be the source of the issue in your card. Or not. Handy to rule it out)

Otherwise its live with it or send it back.

Advertisement