Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia GTX 10xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

well i just ordered a classified 1080 thats due into stock tomorrow at scan, lets see if my gamble pays off! god bless drunk ordering

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

More info on the 1060

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

tadcan wrote: »
    More info on the 1060
    I'm only interested in benchmarks; if it's slower than a GTX 970 (with its 3.5 / 4Gb VRAM) I don't see the point in the card if it's the same price.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I still think its crazy labelling 2 different cards with different specs as a GTX 1060. At least call the 6GB model a 1060ti or something....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I agree. This while naming thing is stupid. It will catch a lot of less knowledgeable people later down the line.
    1060 and 1060ti would make sense. Even 1050 and 1060 would have been better then what we got now.

I am still interested to see real life performance and real life price tag. Even If it will be in line with rx480 performance wise rx480 will make more sense anyway. Multi gpu support missing on 1060s is still stupid in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Both Nvidia & AMD have a number at the end that could've been used for something.

E.g. Nvidia 1060 / 1065; or 1063/1066
    and AMD RX 480 / 485; or 484 / 488.

Would've saved them a bit of ink, too! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Nonsense having this cut down crap with the same name. It's so misleading - it's just not the 3GB vram, the actual core speeds are lower as well, so it really is a different card.

Should have called it a GTX1050Ti. That way it sounds good, and leaves them leeway to introduce a GTX750Ti class replacement in the future and call it GTX1050.

Nvidia did something like this before with the GTX650 - you had the GTX650, the GTX650Ti, and then GTX650Ti 'Boost', but it was so much faster that branding it as a 650Ti didn't do it justice at all.

Remember back in the day they had the cut down versions of the form of the LE or GS editions? So you had 6600, 6600LE, 6600GT for example - and 6800, 6800LE, 6800GS, 6800GT.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Less Cuda cores too. It kinda sounds like the binning for the 1060 and the market that AMD has effectively created might have forced them into creating a product they never intended to release.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

19ft80.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

500, never forget

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭dvega

I have just invested in a rog swift and am looking at a 1080 to match but the prices seem to be fluctuating a lot.

I see Amazon are re-stocking both in the UK and across the water September 1st.

The prices at the moment seem to be a tad bit out of my reach particularity after investing in a new monitor.

So what's the general consensus now on the 1080's? I feel I can wait about the price if it does go down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

If you have a working gpu and can wait, then do.

There is still a bit of a shortage of stock and this is driving up costs. Wait a few weeks. If AMD launch a new card in Oct (which is only a mabye) there might be price drops.
    At the very least, wait till mid Sep to see where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

I got me my new MSi Gaming X GTX 1070 today from Amazon via Parcel Motel (it was my first time using Parcel Motel too).

It's a long overdue update from my 3 year old GTX 780, which has really been starting to show its age as of late.

The large performance increase sure is nice, and I can't believe how quiet the thing is! It turns off the fans in idle and the load fan noise is nothing compared to the Asus GTX 780 I had. :D

Happy days! Next up is a 1440p G-Sync monitor, but probably not until early next year. :pac:

Very interesting video on the GTX 1060 3Gb.

Seems it's fine for 1080p/1440p - until you use Ultra texture packs, when the performance just drops like crazy after hitting the 3Gb VRAM limit :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Very interesting video on the GTX 1060 3Gb.

Seems it's fine for 1080p/1440p - until you use Ultra texture packs, when the performance just drops like crazy after hitting the 3Gb VRAM limit :eek:

Nah, you're both missing the point. Where the game needs more than 3gb of vram, it's already struggling with the frame rate. Those tests have cards sitting between 20-40 fps, which is usually the point where you turn down the settings anyway. Basically there is a direct correlation between gpu power and vram, if the gpu isn't powerful enough it doesn't matter have much vram you drop into it(for games).

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Keggers2

Hey all,

So I got my Plait 1070 (Jetstream) and it's been absolutely crushing it.

EXCEPT, I'm getting pretty serious screen tearing. I'm running an LG 3440x1440 ultrawide job (34UC88). Now in games I honestly don't notice it/don't care that much.

But where it's really hurting me is films. As soon as the action picks up/camera starts moving a lot, I notice quite a LOT of screen tearing.

Could this be a card issue? Or is it just these screens?

It's going on in games alright.

So far it's been an issue in all players, but especially the internet, youtube, netflix etc. It's definitely not a speed issue though, downloads and general browsing is fast (Eir fiber).

All digital media, haven't tried optical yet as I currently have a disk drive!

Have you tried enabling Adaptive Vsync?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I find my screen tears when I use HDMI. Try DVI or Displayport? Also what syncing solutions are you using if any? Some games that cap my FPS to my monitor tear and only allowing them to go about 10 frames above my Hz gets rid of it.

For movies, try using Kodi. In the options there is ability to sync the Hz of your monitor to the movie or something like that. Usually I'm against all kinds of syncing in games because of the lag but for movies it's absolutely fine.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Have you tried enabling Adaptive Vsync?

Tried all the V Sync settings, leaving it on all the time seems to do the best job at reducing it
    I find my screen tears when I use HDMI. Try DVI or Displayport? Also what syncing solutions are you using if any? Some games that cap my FPS to my monitor tear and only allowing them to go about 10 frames above my Hz gets rid of it.

For movies, try using Kodi. In the options there is ability to sync the Hz of your monitor to the movie or something like that. Usually I'm against all kinds of syncing in games because of the lag but for movies it's absolutely fine.

I'm actually using display port, going to try DVI now out of interest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Vince086

Right, my 770 gone, any reason not to get this one ?
    The MSI one seems to be popular as well but the Zotac has slightly better clock speeds.
    Don't want to start a whole new thread just for this question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The AMP Extremem is a rather large card,make sure it would fit in your case if you decide to grab it.

Listed clock speeds are pretty useless on the 10xx series,gpu boost 3.0 will boost past them anyway. Most of these cards will run near the 2GHz mark. So temps,noise and asthetics are probably the best way to seperate them.

Have a look at a few reviews and go from there.

Inno3D models are usually some of the cheapest, are extremely quiet and come with a few freebies - 3dMark16, VRMark, Free Mouse Mat, etc. I've only used the X3 and X4 iChills which are excellent but the Herculez X2 is pretty highly regarded and it's the 2nd cheapest 1070 behind the crappy reference cooler model on OCUK. Think it's a 3 year warranty though.

I still feel dirty paying €500 for a GTX1070, the prices are totally ridiculous over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Vince086

Thank you for all the replies.

The 5 year warranty would be really nice. Length might be an issue, have an OEM HP case with 0 cable management 30cm would be pushing it.

That Herculez X2 looks good but with that price wonder what the catch is?

If clock speeds aren't that important might just go with the MSI one as it will fit. Will double check reviews but as long as temps are reasonable it will do perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I bought an iChill x3 after having reservations about Inno3d from GTX970 investigation I did few years back.

I've been delighted with my 1070. Really quiet, runs nice and cool and looks great in my case (has some LED colour changing, dont know if you can control it, but it just changes colour for me and I'm happy out) .

Didn't get it at the price Terror did (bastard) but really happy with it.

I would have kept relatively strictly to MSI for a number of years for GPU's, but happy I've branched out a little and now will always consider Inno for GPU purchases

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Anyone got any real world thoughts on whether it's worth waiting (and paying a bit extra) for a Palit Gamerock Premium 1070 over the standard?

I doubt it, I think the only difference is a tiny speed bump and support for that front panel, which applies to very, very few people I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I got the standard one, figuring that any tiny speedbump will be made moot by GPU Boost or overclocking anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Anyone got any real world thoughts on whether it's worth waiting (and paying a bit extra) for a Palit Gamerock Premium 1070 over the standard?

As above. No real point buying very expensive version. Sometimes it becomes to silly level where pimped out version of card costs as Much as one level above normal third party cooler one.
    Just go for third party cooler one and that's it.

Every now and then you get some really nice and stronger cards 7950 ( can't remember which one now), but it overclocked crazy and was at levels of 7970. Don't see anything like that this generation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Thanks lads, there is only £10 in the difference but would be waitinga couple of weeks and not getting GOW 4 free so I was wondering if that was worth the jump.

Advertisement