Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia GTX 10xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Thinking about picking up either a EVGA 1070 FTW or an MSI 1070 Gaming X. Both are the same price but the EVGA is clocked a tad higher and has better RBG options but I'v used MSI's gaming series before and love how quite their fans are and the MSI software suite.

Can anyone who has either of these offer some input on how these cards are to live with?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Venom wrote: »
    Thinking about picking up either a EVGA 1070 FTW or an MSI 1070 Gaming X. Both are the same price but the EVGA is clocked a tad higher and has better RBG options but I'v used MSI's gaming series before and love how quite their fans are and the MSI software suite.

Can anyone who has either of these offer some input on how these cards are to live with?

Best bet is just youtube it. A lot of channels do reviews of particular cards these days.

Best bet is just youtube it. A lot of channels do reviews of particular cards these days.

Iv watched alot of vids about these cards but very few have...

1) Reviewed both cards in question

2) Seemed honest enough to actually point out any flaws in these cards

hence I'm looking for boardsies who have them to spill da beans so to speak :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I had the same problem in picking a 1080, went with evga as they have the best RMA record out of all of them, pretty and quiet as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Interesting bit of info. There is currently a bit of a memory lottery occurring with the GTX 1070. Samsung produced the GDDR5 for the first few batches, but the latest appear to have GDDR5 from Micron. There is nothing wrong with the memory from either company but but the Samsung VRAM was overclocking a good bit more than the Micron VRAM appears to, people achieving around +500MHz~ (or higher) on Samsung, while Micron seems to be limited to around +250MHz~.

I'm not sure which brands are carrying which, but if people are looking at overclocking potential as a "must have", this may be significant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Interesting bit of info. There is currently a bit of a memory lottery occurring with the GTX 1070. [...] people achieving around +500MHz~ (or higher) on Samsung, while Micron seems to be limited to around +250MHz~.

*tries +400 on memory*

*game instantly crashes*

Well, guess I have Micron memory!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Serephucus wrote: »
    *tries +400 on memory*

*game instantly crashes*

Well, guess I have Micron memory!

Would something like GPU-Z tell you the memory manufacturer?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

SickBoy wrote: »
    Would something like GPU-Z tell you the memory manufacturer?
    Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

970 was the same,early models had samsung and later revisions were hynix. The samsung overclocked better in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

My 1080 has Micron ram. Happily sits with 555mhz OC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

superg wrote: »
    My 1080 has Micron ram. Happily sits with 555mhz OC.

That's GDDR5X though. I don't think you can compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

SickBoy wrote: »
    That's GDDR5X though. I don't think you can compare.

True. Probably goes alot higher. I haven't bothered to try.

As far as I know Micron are the only ones producing GDDR5X so far, so that's expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

Wish I had the spare cash to take advantage but pretty unreal price here - 303GBP for 1080

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-GeForce-GTX-1080-AERO/dp/B01GELBQ7Y/ref=sr_1_15?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1474833954&sr=1-15&keywords=gtx+1080

:eek: That's as much as I paid for my 1070!

Pity about the crappy cooler.

Serephucus wrote: »
    :eek: That's as much as I paid for my 1070!

Pity about the crappy cooler.

Plenty of savings there for a waterblock :)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Sneak

Aka Ishur wrote:
    Wish I had the spare cash to take advantage but pretty unreal price here - 303GBP for 1080

Whats the catch!? :o

Aka Ishur wrote: »
    Plenty of savings there for a waterblock :)

First thing when I saw what cooler it was. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Sneak wrote: »
    Whats the catch!? :o

Clearly an error same company has the zotac amp extreme gtx 1080 for £383.

And secondly the company has zero sales/ feedback/ anything . Strange.

Wonder how that would work with it being amazon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's a blatant scam, Amazon is absolutely rife with scammers on computer hardware, desktops and laptops. They usually try and get people to make contact and arrange payment outside of Amazon - anything that's processed through Amazon is spotted quickly and the order cancelled.

• Advertisement

Haven't seen that behavior before. You would want to be some muppet to agree to a different payment procedure.

Price showing at £594 now.

Different seller to before. either pulled or sold the 4 that were in stock.

Seller was removed by Amazon. Amazon are banning scammers left right and centre on a daily basis. If you had bought that GTX1080 through the Amazon system you'd be fine, the sale would just have been cancelled by Amazon. The scammers hope people read their profile which usually says something like 'Please contact us on xyz@gmail.com before making an order'.

You'd think 'who would be that stupid'.....but unfortunately we live in a world where people are still somehow falling for the lotto/nigerian prince/'Steve from Microsoft wanting to fix a virus on your PC type scams on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

They didn't sell them as I got a email saying my order was cancelled today.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Seller was removed by Amazon. Amazon are banning scammers left right and centre on a daily basis. If you had bought that GTX1080 through the Amazon system you'd be fine, the sale would just have been cancelled by Amazon. The scammers hope people read their profile which usually says something like 'Please contact us on xyz@gmail.com before making an order'.

You'd think 'who would be that stupid'.....but unfortunately we live in a world where people are still somehow falling for the lotto/nigerian prince/'Steve from Microsoft wanting to fix a virus on your PC type scams on a daily basis.

They probably offer a discount for going outside of Amazon because it saves them money on fees. You see it on eBay as well from time to time. It's probably legit some of the times but usually it's a sire fire sign of a scam.

They probably offer a discount for going outside of Amazon because it saves them money on fees. You see it on eBay as well from time to time. It's probably legit some of the times but usually it's a sire fire sign of a scam.

When you have a brand new seller with zero feedback offering a GTX1080 for almost half the retail price, it's just too obvious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Quick question here. It is about a 10XX card, but also about Amazon in regards to it.

I purchased an EVGA 1070 FTW from amazon, and it arrived this morning. It was listed as new, however came in bubble wrap. No box. No cables. Nothing. Also no GOW4, but that must have been my mistake.

I am probably going to go ahead and return this, as I just dont feel comfortable getting a 4560€ card just in bubble wrap. Also if i want to resell later, I'd like to have the box. But is that kind of thing normal?

And lastly, would I get away using it for a few days, while I wait for another to arrive, according to Amazon warranty?

EDIT: Ordering from CaseKing [Mindfactory dont have stock] would cost me 15€ more, would give me peice of mind, and a free copy of GOW4....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

it wasn't that package free option that amazon do? think it's part of their waste reduction initiative, never used it but have seen it down as an option on some of their sales. is it possible you picked it by accident

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Did you buy it from Amazon directly or a marketplace seller? If it only came in bubble wrap I'd send it back immediately, that is not their 'frustration free packaging' for a retail product like that I'd imagine you'd get a box regardless.

Advertisement