Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia GTX 10xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

so what sort of money do ye think we will get charged for the 1080 here? i know its between $600-$700 in the states but eu always seems to get shafted on the price :( are we looking at a direct 1 to 1 with the dollar price

It won't be a direct 1:1 price because the US price is before taxes. Convert the US price to Euro and add 25% should give you a good idea of what the price will be this side of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Isnt the "founders" edition mrsp 789 euros in europe?
    I would be fairly sure that companies adding bells and whistles onto coolers and lighting will charge more for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    Isnt the "founders" edition mrsp 789 euros in europe?
    I would be fairly sure that companies adding bells and whistles onto coolers and lighting will charge more for it.

Would have thought about 680\700 for founders.

580 600 for others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Would have thought about 680\700 for founders.

580 600 for others.

No, it is £619/€789 for EU.

Don't feel as bad now that I paid €630 for my 980Ti brand new when you break it down to performance to euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Lads I'm thinking of picking up a 980ti on adverts. They're going for between 450 and 500. Will the 1070 be better value than that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

The interest on these from me has peaked from absolutely nowhere. This is a pure indulgence purchase as they come.

AOC 24" 144HZ 1080p Gysnc monitor
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/AOC-G2460PG-24-inch-Monitor-Black/dp/B00LBSZHAI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463652632&sr=8-1&keywords=AOC+G2460PG

1070 GPU. Havn't seen any confirmed pricing, but saw plenty of reviews of 1080's that indicated the 1070 will retail at $350, so Irish Pc tax has me thinking it will be around the €350-400 mark.

****ing hell......I said I'd never again buy into new release tech after the sham that was SSD when they first released. But I'm reading too much about how this generation are a massive leap. Can't wait for genuine benchmarks to arrive for the 1070, if it does what people are indicating, it looks like it might totally overshoot my 290, and be a lovely addition for a move into 144hz for me

I "was" going to pickup an Ipad Air 2, but for some reason the above two items feel much more appealing. Probably recoup €150 for my current GPU, and I know I've some second hand stuff sold covering a fair chunk of this cost.

Help me boyz, talk me out of it

*As someone who has never, ever, jumped onto the latest releases of GPUs, is it typically "OK" to go in with the first releases, or is it advisable to wait for third parties to bring out their versions? While excited, I'm also slightly freaked that it might be loads of problems with performance and drivers and **** as its a new released card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

TheDoc wrote: »
    The interest on these from me has peaked from absolutely nowhere. This is a pure indulgence purchase as they come.

AOC 24" 144HZ 1080p Gysnc monitor
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/AOC-G2460PG-24-inch-Monitor-Black/dp/B00LBSZHAI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463652632&sr=8-1&keywords=AOC+G2460PG

1070 GPU. Havn't seen any confirmed pricing, but saw plenty of reviews of 1080's that indicated the 1070 will retail at $350, so Irish Pc tax has me thinking it will be around the €350-400 mark.

****ing hell......I said I'd never again buy into new release tech after the sham that was SSD when they first released. But I'm reading too much about how this generation are a massive leap. Can't wait for genuine benchmarks to arrive for the 1070, if it does what people are indicating, it looks like it might totally overshoot my 290, and be a lovely addition for a move into 144hz for me

I "was" going to pickup an Ipad Air 2, but for some reason the above two items feel much more appealing. Probably recoup €150 for my current GPU, and I know I've some second hand stuff sold covering a fair chunk of this cost.

Help me boyz, talk me out of it

*As someone who has never, ever, jumped onto the latest releases of GPUs, is it typically "OK" to go in with the first releases, or is it advisable to wait for third parties to bring out their versions? While excited, I'm also slightly freaked that it might be loads of problems with performance and drivers and **** as its a new released card.

Spend the extra 100 odd euro and get the Dell S2716DG, 27" . you get *1440p *144hz 27 inch screen for me it's the sweet spot in gaming right now.

Oh and 100% 3rd parties GPU.

Edit Soz , ment to talk you out of it. Terror below can reign you back in with his price taggery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

TheDoc wrote: »

I think the 1070 will be around €450-500.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Surely their not that greedy/stupid, the reason the 970 did so fantastic was it's price for the performance, 250 - 400 is the sweet spot for mid range

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Spend the extra 100 odd euro and get the Dell S2716DG, 27" . you get *1440p *144hz 27 inch screen for me it's the sweet spot in gaming right now.

Oh and 100% 3rd parties GPU.

Edit Soz , ment to talk you out of it. Terror below can reign you back in with his price taggery.

1440p is really something that hasnt interested me at all if I'm honest. But then again, is I see a 1070 could handle it, and my games, at high fps and stuff, maybe I would start considering it.

Doing some reading around on monitors this morning again, some weird pricing points for Gsync stuff. also a few places saying that GSync is a bit of a waste when you hit above 60fps.

I was so happy a week ago when I had no plans to buy PC parts, this happens this time EVERY BLOODY YEAR!

€450-500 probably still wouldn't turn me totally of, I'd be dropping an Ipad air 2(which was like €550) for a GPU, so I've some flexability there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

My problem would be that if I where to put 500 on a GPU I'd just say **** it and save another 200 for the better one.

Be interesting if the 1070 was 400 and the 1080 800 to see see the performance of 2 x 1070's in sli

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

2560 CUDA cores on the 1080 compared to 1920 CUDA on the 1070. It's a bigger difference than most were expecting. When can we expect 1070 benchamrks?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I made the horrible mistake of checking out the technology forum on 4chan to get their take on the new cards. That link was being thrown around there. I didn't look, but amongst the ****posting (I will not be going back) there were people saying to take that article with a grain of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I wouldn't be touching any of the higher end newer cards unless you are going for a 2560x1440/144hz monitor.

It's a total waste getting these cards for 1080p, even 144hz 1080p. 1080p for PC gaming is the new 720p. Easily run on low end cards. Don't waste money on high end cards for it.

Xenoronin wrote: »
    I made the horrible mistake of checking out the technology forum on 4chan to get their take on the new cards. That link was being thrown around there. I didn't look, but amongst the ****posting (I will not be going back) there were people saying to take that article with a grain of salt.
    He is speaking the truth though.

That article is a load of bollocks. I'm no fan of Nvidia and their practices but they have hit the nail on the head with the 1080 apart from the price.

Meanwhile HardwareCannucks have Doom running at 2560x1440 with max settings and 8x TSSAA averaging around 100fps on a single overclocked 1080.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I've scanned a few paragraphs. It's a mess of an article. The guy threw this out there before the reviews were out enmasse and then went back and edited it to correct it when he had more information. It's the worst kind of article, thrown out without any research, naysaying to pull in the readers who think they are going to learn something conspiratorial.
    For instance Nvidia claimed that the GTX 1080 was faster than the GTX 980 in 2-way SLI and “way faster” than the Titan X. Turns out that the GTX 1080 is only faster than the GTX 980 2-way SLI in VR performance and not actual games. Nvidia played people with their usual marketing and thankfully people are smart enough to look through this type of marketing and actual “READ” the damn slides.

Here is the obvious edit continuation:
    Well it looks I was wrong about the performance increase. The GTX 1080 is has a huge advantage over the single GTX 980. According to techpower up at GTX 1080 does have big lead over the GTX 980. Obviously the reviews ran the GTX 980 at stock clocks.

That Scottish youtuber is a much better resource than this article as at least he tries to back up his claims with facts properly than just rant. So I won't be continuing to read it when there are better articles out there.

If you want something thorough here:
    http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/nvidia-gtx-1080-graphics-card-review/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

BloodBath wrote: »
    That article is a load of bollocks. I'm no fan of Nvidia and their practices but they have hit the nail on the head with the 1080 apart from the price.

Meanwhile HardwareCannucks have Doom running at 2560x1440 with max settings and 8x TSSAA averaging around 100fps on a single overclocked 1080.

Its not actually that difficult to do on Doom. Its a really well optimized game. I am running ultra at 1440p with a GTX 970 and getting 65-70 FPS with no overclock.

Its not actually that difficult to do on Doom. Its a really well optimized game. I am running ultra at 1440p with a GTX 970 and getting 65-70 FPS with no overclock.

It's very well optimised so yes but the big part is the 8x SSAA. This AA method is usually very demanding. They seem to be using a new version of it which might be a lot less demanding though.

I'd say dropping it down to 2-4x would give a fairly solid 144fps if it's half as demanding as old SSAA methods.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Full of misinformation and biased nonsense. I'm no fan of Nvidia, and would prefer people call them out on their BS, but this is just click bait wankery from an AMD fanatic.

Dair76 wrote: »

Full of misinformation and biased nonsense. I'm no fan of Nvidia, and would prefer people call them out on their BS, but this is just click bait wankery from an AMD fanatic.
    He is no AMD fanatic he used to have two 670's in SLI, but then came to his senses of nvidia games. Deliberately making older hardware not perform as good as it used to, game works and loads more.

He is no AMD fanatic he used to have two 670's in SLI, but then came to his senses of nvidia games. Deliberately making older hardware not perform as good as it used to, game works and loads more.

Suuuure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

It seems very difficult to find benchmarks for 980 Ti overclocked vs the GTX 1080 @ stock.

If anyone comes across them please post a link, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

I doubt they ever initially crippled older hardware but I would assume the optimisations start to dry up once the card goes a few generations behind. I say doubt because the internet is only full of people who would love nothing more than to prove that was happening, de-compiling the drivers etc.

It seems very difficult to find benchmarks for 980 Ti overclocked vs the GTX 1080 @ stock.

If anyone comes across them please post a link, thanks.

Found this on another forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

Up for pre order on Overlockers, cheapest is £619.99 so around €800

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

xtal191 wrote: »
    Up for pre order on Overlockers, cheapest is £619.99 so around €800

So around €670-700 starting price for the AIBs. Higher than what I was expecting, but I suppose not by a whole lot. It's just unfortunate that €700 sounds so much more expensive than €600 for some reason. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

hmm..expensive but when it beats the 980ti handily it's probably worth it.
    I'm mad to get a gsync monitor but every bloody one of the ips versions all have quality issues..

• Advertisement

Just get a TN panel for the faster response times. No point getting a 144Hz IPS and then to be bundled with 5-6ms time.

Advertisement