Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia GTX 10xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Just get a TN panel for the faster response times. No point getting a 144Hz IPS and then to be bundled with 5-6ms time.

but the colour :) you can pick up Dell's version for about 40-500 quid on overclockers but I'm worried about colours..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Just get a TN panel for the faster response times. No point getting a 144Hz IPS and then to be bundled with 5-6ms time.
    Never seen an issue with 5-6ms response time. People must think they are Neo in the matrix if this kind of response time is slowing them down.

A good IPS monitor is fantastic for games and at 144hz, just amazing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Blazer wrote: »
    you can pick up Dell's version for about 40-500 quid on overclockers

I'd happily suffer some loss of quality to have a GSync monitor for 40 quid :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

There very slight difference in colours between a IPS and TN. Someone on here even said that as he had both side by side and very little between them. Ok yes IPS has better viewing angles but when are you going to be looking at a monitor and the side or even looking down on it from above.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

There very slight difference in colours between a IPS and TN. Someone on here even said that as he had both side by side and very little between them. Ok yes IPS has better viewing angles but when are you going to be looking at a monitor and the side or even looking down on it from above.
    I have a TN and an IPS monitor side by side and there is a big difference. The colours are much richer on the IPS monitor.

On the TN the colours are more washed out. If someone is on a tight budget I'd say go TN but if you have the money I recommend IPS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

The founders edition falls back to its base clock after 20 mins of intensive gaming

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-pascal,4572-11.html

Looks like the boost clock rate is meaningless on this card.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Its a classic case of YMMV as different people have different levels of colour perception. People with a tin eye (you know what I mean! :P) won't notice any difference between the two technologies' colour reproduction. Most people will notice, some will percieve it very strongly. Superchromats will practically run screaming from a TN panel even for daily usage, and almost anyone who works in a design has to work with IPS panels as the colour range is perceptibly closer to real-world results.
    tuxy wrote: »
    The founders edition falls back to its base clock after 20 mins of intensive gaming

nVidia so smrt. Lolcat levels of smrt. Yes they may be the highest-binned bits of silicon under the hood but without a suitably butch cooler on top of it all that extra potential just goes up in smoke :o

It really is stupid though: to help reduce the paperness of the paper launch they basically threw away the top-bin GPUs they could have sold to their closer board partners at a significant hike for their top-tier cards. They still got to sell the top-bin at a huge premium but by selling it direct in a format that can't even utilize its capabilities they've just stabbed their own partners in the back as there'll be little to no aftermarket top-bin to throw in the OMGWTFHAX edition cards.

Unless almost all of the Pascal silicon is incredibly awesome quality or they're deliberately underclocking the "standard" GTX1080 and the FoundEd is just non-underclocked regular Pascal dies I imagine EVGA etc. really want to murder nVidia right now... :o

That's what that scottish guy on youtube said as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Solitaire wrote: »
    Its a classic case of YMMV as different people have different levels of colour perception. People with a tin eye (you know what I mean! :P) won't notice any difference between the two technologies' colour reproduction. Most people will notice, some will percieve it very strongly. Superchromats will practically run screaming from a TN panel even for daily usage, and almost anyone who works in a design has to work with IPS panels as the colour range is perceptibly closer to real-world results.

nVidia so smrt. Lolcat levels of smrt. Yes they may be the highest-binned bits of silicon under the hood but without a suitably butch cooler on top of it all that extra potential just goes up in smoke :o

It really is stupid though: to help reduce the paperness of the paper launch they basically threw away the top-bin GPUs they could have sold to their closer board partners at a significant hike for their top-tier cards. They still got to sell the top-bin at a huge premium but by selling it direct in a format that can't even utilize its capabilities they've just stabbed their own partners in the back as there'll be little to no aftermarket top-bin to throw in the OMGWTFHAX edition cards.

Unless almost all of the Pascal silicon is incredibly awesome quality or they're deliberately underclocking the "standard" GTX1080 and the FoundEd is just non-underclocked regular Pascal dies I imagine EVGA etc. really want to murder nVidia right now... :o

Actually, they are smart. Look back over this thread, and there's an almost overnight change from "hopefully looking good" to "omg amazing shuttuptakemymoney" when the "paper launch" articles with miniscule lead times for testing purposes came out: things were timed so that most sites could reproduce the pre written blurb, add in the odd "answer" from the pr team and run a set of limited benchmarks from the date they received cards to the nda lift date, when if they didn't publish their site would get 0 pageviews out of it.

So the wave of hype goes out, and any subsequent problems found in extended testing which contradict the initial PR driven output are only going to cause a problem if there is a total failure. Anandtech is one of the few sites prepared to wait for extensive testing before publishing an official review, but their current policy of "launch day overview" reports basically fulfills the pr team's requirements anyway.

Note that I'm not bashing nvidia here, lots of tech companies adopt the same approach and it's down to bad journalism in the tech sector that they get away with it.

But that's why I basically ignore launch day articles in general and top end product reviews in particular now. They're so effectively pr managed that you're not going to get a true picture of what's going on. "Money no object platform performs well" isn't really a news story I care about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

It was suggested that nVidia would be the AMD of this generation with loads of heat and messing to get things working. Thermals look to be a bit of an issue by the looks!

• Advertisement

Good bottlenecking video. Well good speculation video really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Solitaire wrote: »

Supposedly though, the FE cards aren't binned at all. They're totally bog-standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

What will the lead time be on these when they're released?

I presume there's thousands of gamers with their fingers on the button ready to buy on release day. Will they sell out?

eeguy wrote: »
    What will the lead time be on these when they're released?

I presume there's thousands of gamers with their fingers on the button ready to buy on release day. Will they sell out?

People are going to be mad to order on release day for the FE. If one can't wait to see what AMD have in store at least wait for board partners cheaper, better versions.

Absolutely genius move from nVidia's marketing arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

People are going to be mad to order on release day for the FE. If one can't wait to see what AMD have in store at least wait for board partners cheaper, better versions.

Absolutely genius move from nVidia's marketing arm.

The demand will be high for the 1080 founders edition but I reckon most people will wait to see what the board partners will come up with. The 1070 is going to be in much greater demand imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Serephucus wrote: »
    Supposedly though, the FE cards aren't binned at all. They're totally bog-standard.

That is nothing new, the FE were never sold as higher binned chips.
    It's just the cooling shroud's new name is all. That, and a sub-par PCB, VRM cooling power delivery system.
    For an increase of price, that may justify AIBs bumping their price up because of "20% faster than FE" etc.

Honestly, I was disappointed seeing this being done, and really goes to show nVidia's aim to milk the market a bit more than usual.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Quite a few reviews of the 1070 suggest those with 980,970 or R9 390 would be well advised to stick with what they have for now as all are performing very well with the latest games.

Dcully wrote: »
    Quite a few reviews of the 1070 suggest those with 980,970 or R9 390 would be well advised to stick with what they have for now as all are performing very well with the latest games.
    Has there been 1070 reviews yet. I haven't noticed any.

Just went looking myself! :pac:

Just went looking myself! :pac:
    I had a quick look before I posted as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Adored TV fella (the scottish lad) made the key point that only one site has compared the 1080FE with aftermarket 980TIs, the factory OC cards make upgrading a really poor proposition.

ED E wrote: »
    Adored TV fella (the scottish lad) made the key point that only one site has compared the 1080FE with aftermarket 980TIs, the factory OC cards make upgrading a really poor proposition.

Factory OCed cards are on the way from the usual board partners so will be interesting to see what they can do with Pascal.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Venom wrote: »
    Factory OCed cards are on the way from the usual board partners so will be interesting to see what they can do with Pascal.

The watercooled test says not much, the room to improve is likely a lot smaller than Maxwell.

ED E wrote: »
    The watercooled test says not much, the room to improve is likely a lot smaller than Maxwell.

I guess it depends if they just stick a better cooler on them or go the whole redesigning the entire PCB route.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Dcully wrote: »

Naturally, cards don't just suddenly go obsolete? If a 970/390 can push 1080/1440p60 then upgrading is just throwing cash at something shiny

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

I'm waiting for 1070 reviews and benchmarks. If it's sub 980ti then it's a 1080 for me. If it's 980ti level or greater I'll pick one up and upgrade to large die 1080ti next year. Either way I'm waiting for AIB versions.

So it's looking like my Rift which should come first week of June might remain in its box for an extra week or two. That'll be painful!

Calibos wrote: »
    So it's looking like my Rift which should come first week of June might remain in its box for an extra week or two. That'll be painful!

Some harsh first world problems ya got there mate :p

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Calibos wrote: »
    I'm waiting for 1070 reviews and benchmarks. If it's sub 980ti then it's a 1080 for me. If it's 980ti level or greater I'll pick one up and upgrade to large die 1080ti next year. Either way I'm waiting for AIB versions.

Think many are in the same boat. Reading the Over Clockers forum where they have a BIG thread about 1070/1080, some sold their current stuff and are going straight in for 1080, some were waiting for 1080 benches, majority looked at the 1070 as the sweet spot.

I'm thinking of some games coming down the pipe, along with a potential summer of single player games(Warhammer Total War) as WoW starts to get a bit dead, so it would be nice to have a little bump there also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think a lot of people were premature in offloading 980Ti's. I know the 1080 has a better feature set but from a raw performance POV, which is what most people really care about, the Founders Edition vs a highly clocked 980Ti is not really much of an improvement.....you have people that will now be dropping €800 on these having just sold 980ti's for 500 or so.

I was actually trying to sell my 980Ti, but because I wanted to switch to AMD rather than the new cards. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I think a lot of people were premature in offloading 980Ti's. I know the 1080 has a better feature set but from a raw performance POV, which is what most people really care about, the Founders Edition vs a highly clocked 980Ti is not really much of an improvement.....you have people that will now be dropping €800 on these having just sold 980ti's for 500 or so.

I was actually trying to sell my 980Ti, but because I wanted to switch to AMD rather than the new cards. :p

It's interesting that both companies took opposite approaches with their new architecture launches: Nvidia focusing on the high end halo and first mover advantage, and putting off mainstream launches while AMD are doing the exact opposite.

I suspect that reflects where both companies feel they will be best flattered this generation. If AMD can make a genuinely competitive mainstream set of cards ranging from €100-€350 I think that's better for gamers as a whole.

Advertisement