Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia GTX 10xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-1070-custom-models/

Info about Asus, Gigabyte and Inno3D custom cooled 1080's along with water cooling block from EK starting to leak out to the media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's interesting that both companies took opposite approaches with their new architecture launches: Nvidia focusing on the high end halo and first mover advantage, and putting off mainstream launches while AMD are doing the exact opposite.

I suspect that reflects where both companies feel they will be best flattered this generation. If AMD can make a genuinely competitive mainstream set of cards ranging from €100-€350 I think that's better for gamers as a whole.

I think AMD was pretty decent in every segment except the low end 'gaming' tier - I'd say Nvidia shifted an absolutely titanic quantity of GTX750's and GTX750Ti's, AMD had no real effective answer. Anything beyond the low-end R7 250 needed a six pin and offered weak performance to boot despite the power hungry nature.

Huge amount of hype around 1080 but realistically what percentage of overall sales will it make up? Nvidia's PR game is excellent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

NVIDIA is moving 600 and 700 series to legacy support.

600 series I can understand, but 700? It's one generation old! (for another week, but even then, that seems premature).

Pretty sickening for those with cards that are still solid performers - of which there are plenty, especially in GTX7 line-up. AMD only discontinued their HD6 series recently - that goes back to 2010!

Nvidia are getting very aggressive with trying to push new cards. AMD driver support isn't as good as Nvidia but they do support their cards for far longer.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

What does legacy support mean?

• Advertisement

No more driver support.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

No more driver support.
    Wow, that's really poor form.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'd expect no less from nVidia.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I think AMD was pretty decent in every segment except the low end 'gaming' tier - I'd say Nvidia shifted an absolutely titanic quantity of GTX750's and GTX750Ti's, AMD had no real effective answer. Anything beyond the low-end R7 250 needed a six pin and offered weak performance to boot despite the power hungry nature.

Huge amount of hype around 1080 but realistically what percentage of overall sales will it make up? Nvidia's PR game is excellent though.

They had decent performance but on very inefficient and hot cards. I think for the original 280 era they were very competitive, but the subsequent respins didn't keep pace with Nvidia, and you're right that definitely held true more painfully at that 750 vs. 260/265/x/360/370 horrorshow of overlapping cards they had. Nvidia were able to pitch chips just a tiny bit ahead of the average AMD card for the same price, but with a huge advantage in thermals. I suspect that during the Maxwell era Nvidia's margins were quite healthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

That's interesting. I think the rumour was around $300 for one of those? Or around $380 for ~980 Ti performance (1070).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

If the gtx 1080 was more in line with its dollar to euro exchange I'd say yeah good release. Impressive card /competitive price. But as it stands in my eyes not as pushed to get a 1080 yet. Not that I'd jump on a founders editon either way.

Suppose the good that came of it was some people got some actual good deals on the second hand 980ti. Not that I get the reasoning behind selling a ti just to watch as an ok founders editon goes outta stock. No gaming for you pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Rezident

Serephucus wrote: »
    That's interesting. I think the rumour was around $300 for one of those? Or around $380 for ~980 Ti performance (1070).

When are the Polaris cards due?

I only buy a new gpu every two or three years but apart from one exception, at every other upgrade point in the last ten years or so, AMD are always better bang for buck than Nvidia. Nvidia seem to be able to charge a hefty premium for their brand. Hopefully Polaris will be good enough for the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Rezident wrote: »
    When are the Polaris cards due?
    Press conference June 1st, so that month is a safe bet. Could be quite early in the month, maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

MY R9 290 isn't even on the list for comparison

Definitely feel an upgrade coming my way!

Considering the 1070 info and benches are around the same time as AMD's offering, in a decent position to weigh up the options and then pick. And then once thats done, see if a new monitor will be Freesync or Gsync. Exciting summer ahead boyz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

If the gtx 1080 was more in line with its dollar to euro exchange I'd say yeah good release. Impressive card /competitive price. But as it stands in my eyes not as pushed to get a 1080 yet. Not that I'd jump on a founders editon either way.

Suppose the good that came of it was some people got some actual good deals on the second hand 980ti. Not that I get the reasoning behind selling a ti just to watch as an ok founders editon goes outta stock. No gaming for you pal.

Bear in mind, prices quoted are always Ex tax in the states. Here you have to add 23% VAT to any converted prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

1070 benches starting to leak, same performance as a Titan X in 3Dmark

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/gtx_1070_3dmark_results_leaked/1

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/gtx_1070_3dmark_results_leaked/1

With decent AIB coolers and some factory overclocking this could be very yummy indeed given the price point and VR tech.

Hmmm these guys quoting £312 INC VAT. That surprises me but means we could see sub €400 1070s which would be very nice indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I bet it will be priced €500 here.

No reason for it to be, we're always lumped in with the UK so we just need to convert. It should also be borne in mind these are MSRP prior to AMD's prices becoming known.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Parents just informed me they are going to US in August...

Would bringing 1 or 2 of these back be safe from customs? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Parents just informed me they are going to US in August...

Would bringing 1 or 2 of these back be safe from customs? :pac:

Yep I'm sure you'd have no problem.

Your only problem is warranty and repairs should anything go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

eeguy wrote: »
    Yep I'm sure you'd have no problem.

Your only problem is warranty and repairs should anything go wrong.
    fairly sure you'll have no issues even with warranty if you go for a brand like EVGA.
    They have a UK RMA centre and are fairly good with warranties, still honoring them if you removed the cooler etc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Anyone found any release prices yet?

I guess my interest is in the bottom of that chart where it has the 970, which I'm led to believe the R9 290 I have it roughly the same or just below.

So that 1070 looks a SIGNIFICANT boost in terms of benches over my R9 290.

Considering the sort of timeframe it will be for that card to come to market, and then third party companies to release their models I should also have AMD comparisons to make.

But very much looks to be 1070 for me. Literally think that's me sold.

Actually just thinking this myself. I see on overclockers the speculation is £350-400 so this is going to be pricey! They were pretty much spot on for the 1080 pricing, so no reason to doubt the guesstimates there now.

Hopefully as said above AMD can come in with a bang and adjust some pricing. Cause €500 feels a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I meant rumours for custom cards ones, not founders edition. I'm guessing it'll be around 600-650 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I meant rumours for custom cards ones, not founders edition. I'm guessing it'll be around 600-650 euro

700 would be a more realistic guess based on the markup from usd to euro of the founders edition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Where would be the best place to get one from the states? I'm not paying sterling/euro for one no way.

Advertisement