Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia GTX 10xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Rob2D wrote: »
    Where would be the best place to get one from the states? I'm not paying sterling/euro for one no way.

Only way that makes sense is if you're in the US at the time. Otherwise you're going to end up paying more once you add in sales tax, shipping, customs, vat...

The euro isn't even strong against the dollar at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Wait for the non-Founder cards IMHO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Wait for the non-Founder cards IMHO

Incoming

http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/8192MB-EVGA-GeForce-GTX-1080-SC_1062838.html

So a cheaper brand with a cheaper cooler might get this down to €700 right?

I meant rumours for custom cards ones, not founders edition. I'm guessing it'll be around 600-650 euro

All the non-FE ones are up on ocuk now. Cheapest £524.99

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

665 euro here https://www.caseking.de/evga-geforce-gtx-1080-gaming-acx-3.0-8192-mb-gddr5x-gcev-259.html

• Advertisement

I guess it all depends on how it performs inside a case with that cooler

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/kfa2-geforce-gtx-1080-reference-blower-8192mb-gddr5x-pci-express-graphics-card-80nsj6dhk5vk-gx-087-kf.html

£524 is €688, ocuk are often a bit pricey so maybe €650 is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Very surprised that some of the better custom cards are cheaper than the FE. Really wasn't expecting that to be the case. Still waiting for AMD's next move before I decide what to do though.

Dair76 wrote: »
    Very surprised that some of the better custom cards are cheaper than the FE. Really wasn't expecting that to be the case. Still waiting for AMD's next move before I decide what to do though.

Nvidia themselves said it would be the case.

tuxy wrote: »
    Nvidia themselves said it would be the case.

No they didn't. They said the non-FE would start at $599. Most commentators thought that would be for very basic models, with better custom boards costing a premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Only way that makes sense is if you're in the US at the time. Otherwise you're going to end up paying more once you add in sales tax, shipping, customs, vat...

The euro isn't even strong against the dollar at the minute

Let's just say I don't have to worry about import duty:cool:

And the dollar mightn't be like it was, but it's damn sure better than paying Sterling.

• Advertisement

Didn't see that version on ocuk yet, only the SC and FTW editions.

Expected stock date 17.06, I guess that answers that question too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Honestly I was hoping there would be cheaper options. Sure this is launch day prices and things will come down a bit - and probably it's AIBs testing the market, and not really sure what to do with this new pricing model - but I'd hoped to see most of the cards closer to $599, with some maybe $629-639, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Which EVGA version does be their best one usually? Gaming, classified, ftw ?

superg wrote: »
    Which EVGA version does be their best one usually? Gaming, classified, ftw ?

Unless they bring out a Hybrid (watercooled) version, IIRC it's the FTW.

Unless they bring out a Hybrid (watercooled) version, IIRC it's the FTW.

I think Cassified edition is normally top tier. It usually has better power phases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Wowzers!

Really is the cream of the crop of the GDDR5 generation.

I really want to see HBM mature before I jump so this might end up on my Xmas list.

Thermals are my only worry for an nVidia card but lets see what the AIB partners do.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

so...thinking of upgrading my 750ti, should I go for a 390x as I planned or a 1070? assuming prices will be similar enough? (roughly..) or I might just wait for the new AMD cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

HowAreWe wrote: »
    so...thinking of upgrading my 750ti, should I go for a 390x as I planned or a 1070? assuming prices will be similar enough? (roughly..) or I might just wait for the new AMD cards.

Right now its all about wait wait wait.

1070 looks great on paper, but it all depend how much we will get shafted without a lube in eu pricing.
    On top of that AMD is right behind the corner too.

Wait but if you were going today then it would be the 1070. The 390x is pretty old tech at this stage, essentially a rebadged 290x.

EU Pricing isn't usually the issue - it's Irish VAT that see's prices go a bit wonky, everyone gets affected by that red or green team.

• Advertisement

You can't buy a 1070 until Friday week at the earliest anyway, so no harm in keeping an eye out for any leaks on the new AMD cards until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Wait for new AMD cards, or go 1070.

1070 outperforms 390x by a large margin & sips >100W less power.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The resell values of the 980s and Titans will probably shock some of their owners come a few weeks.

The resell values of the 980s and Titans will probably shock some of their owners come a few weeks.

Yep - well Titans - probably not many out there but the 970/980/980ti is gonna hurt especially when you see some nutters trying to shift 960s for €200. But for VR I might have considered a couple of 970s for around €250-300; so €125-150 for a 970.

Initially it'll be a bit higher but once the AIB cards start coming I think they'll be some bargains for people who don't want/need bleeding edge. If you're building a budget gaming rig in the next few months Xmas is coming early!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Very glad now I sold my 980ti for 500 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

I'd like to sell my 980ti now for 500 but I don't know how to get my hands on a 1080. And I don't want to be without a GPU!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's not going to impact that dramatically - I don't think we're going to see 970's selling for 125? That's far too sensationalist.

Titan is obviously the biggest loser by a mile, the 980Ti I'm not too unhappy about because a decent 3rd party model is still a good deal faster than a stock 1070. I'll be sticking with mine and probably go SLI when I get a good deal.

Bad time to have recently bought a 980ti new or be selling one, but I think the market's still pretty healthy for GTX970s and will remain that way for a good while (unless Nvidia have some strong gtx960 replacement earmarked).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

It's not going to impact that dramatically - I don't think we're going to see 970's selling for 125? That's far too sensationalist.

Titan is obviously the biggest loser by a mile, the 980Ti I'm not too unhappy about because a decent 3rd party model is still a good deal faster than a stock 1070. I'll be sticking with mine and probably go SLI when I get a good deal.

Bad time to have recently bought a 980ti new or be selling one, but I think the market's still pretty healthy for GTX970s and will remain that way for a good while (unless Nvidia have some strong gtx960 replacement earmarked).

There are bazillions of 970s in the wild. More than any other GPU ever IIRC. Adverts already had numerous ones being flogged - once it gets to 20 or 30 of the things the price is going to dive dramatically - well amongst the 10-15% of people that actually want to sell stuff on there :pac:

• Advertisement

Advertisement