Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia GTX 10xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I'm interested to see an AIB overclocking comparison. I wonder how much the single 8-pin and power delivery circuits will impact things, because from what I've read so far it seems power is by far the limiting factor with OCing (shocker).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Serephucus wrote: »
    I'm interested to see an AIB overclocking comparison. I wonder how much the single 8-pin and power delivery circuits will impact things, because from what I've read so far it seems power is by far the limiting factor with OCing (shocker).

Not overly hopeful given the thermals and anecdotal evidence that memory is bottlenecking the GPU. I would have thought that bumping the memory a bit wouldn't take much power.

Open to correction on all of that.

Not overly hopeful given the thermals and anecdotal evidence that memory is bottlenecking the GPU. I would have thought that bumping the memory a bit wouldn't take much power.

Open to correction on all of that.

You're right actually, I think JayzTwoCents was commenting on memory as well.

I'd imagine memory OCing probably would use a fair bit of power. Anandtech mentioned in an old article that AMD estimated the power draw of GDDR5 at around 15-20% of an R9 290X. That's around 40-50W.

The R9 290X has 16 256MB chips onboard, while the 1080 has only eight (higher capacity, but from what I can find on the subject, capacity doesn't seem to affect power too much, for some reason). GDDR5X is supposed to be slightly more power efficient, but because of the increased clock speeds, it ends up being slightly more power hungry. So probably (and this is only a wild ballpark guess) we're looking at around 30W or less for the 1080's memory chips.

I have no idea what other components come into play (memory controller, etc.) and how much power (if any) they would use, but when you consider that the card's TDP is only 180W, even with the 30W figure, that's 17%, and it could well be more than that.

Interesting take here. Seems the 1080 cooler is just that little bit under performing.

Yup, saw that one a couple of days ago, hence the interest in an AIB comparison. Hoping for someone to just test everything in one go and check against OC potential, noise, thermals, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Well just pulled the trigger on a AOC 24" 144HZ 1080p GSync monitor.

So that is me settled on my 1070

I've a 290 and AM 'Father Xmas' D have promised us a boost on that silicon with new drivers and DX12 etc. etc. so I'm holding out until Vega (and I've paid the wife back for the Rift :pac:)

Might still go green team though just gonna hang on a bit and see how things play out.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Guru3D had the MSI version of the 1080, and it clocks out at 2.1GHz max also. More surprising, is that the OC from the 1800MHz factory OC to the 2.1GHz didn't provide much of a boost, around 4-5FPS on 1440p or so.

I'm kind of expecting this to be a similar case in all the AIB versions really, barring some like the Zotac/Galax ones. I wonder if Pascal (well, Maxwell) doesn't benefit as much from OCing as Maxwell did because of the already high clocks?

I expect the memory is the limiting factor.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

TheDoc wrote: »
    Well just pulled the trigger on a AOC 24" 144HZ 1080p GSync monitor.

So that is me settled on my 1070

I also have a 144hz monitor, currently with a R9 280X. Some games reach 144fps with lower settings but the gtx 1070 should prop my pc up :) Was considering the RX480 but not sure if it's the sweetspot for 144fps 1080p gaming (for some older games yeah)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

I also have a 144hz monitor, currently with a R9 280X. Some games reach 144fps with lower settings but the gtx 1070 should prop my pc up :) Was considering the RX480 but not sure if it's the sweetspot for 144fps 1080p gaming (for some older games yeah)

2 of them together would be pretty sweet and probably wont cost more than a single 1070 (well, prices tbc ofc)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Redfox25 wrote: »
    2 of them together would be pretty sweet and probably wont cost more than a single 1070 (well, prices tbc ofc)

My 2nd pcie lane is only x4 2.0 compared to the main x16 3.0 so I wouldn't get the best performance I can get out of CF 480s

Awesome looking results!

Can't wait to see AIB cards!

Edit 2Ghz on a fecking GPU lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Pulled the trigger on a GSYNC monitor today, pot committed to 1070 now. Couldn't say no to an offer someone linked in another thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I just got my g-sync 144hz 1440p monitor yesterday..... and I sold my PC today, literally one day later. I have a second machine handy with an i7-2600 and an r9 290 so it's still kinda fine-but-not-really, but at least now I can upgrade to a GTX1080 at no extra cost.

I just got my g-sync 144hz 1440p monitor yesterday..... and I sold my PC today, literally one day later. I have a second machine handy with an i7-2600 and an r9 290 so it's still kinda fine-but-not-really, but at least now I can upgrade to a GTX1080 at no extra cost.

Do you keep any piece of hardware for more than 48 hours? :pac:

Do you keep any piece of hardware for more than 48 hours? :pac:

A €15 Chinese keyboard that I finally replaced after 2 years - reluctantly - after I spilled a pint on it.

Some keys stopped working properly as well, so for a couple of weeks I was playing games on very weirdly mapped keys and having to spellcheck pretty much everything I typed.

I've since splashed the cash and upgraded to a €40 keyboard. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

A €15 Chinese keyboard that I finally replaced after 2 years - reluctantly - after I spilled a pint on it.

Some keys stopped working properly as well, so for a couple of weeks I was playing games on very weirdly mapped keys and having to spellcheck pretty much everything I typed.

I've since splashed the cash and upgraded to a €40 keyboard. :cool:

For the amount you seemingly must spend on hardware generally you have a pretty thrifty approach to your keyboard spend! That said, I doubt a €200 keyboard would fair any better after absorbing a pint beer!

I just honestly never saw value in really expensive keyboards and mice. I have a Cougar 500K now and it's nice (and affordable), but in terms of gaming it doesn't really serve me any better than the €15 Chinese keyboard did. Have a €20 mouse as well and I do play a lot of FPS and never had an issue. I just see the money as so much better invested in a better GPU/SSD, etc.

I wonder when can we expect to see GTX 1070 pre-orders? I've decided I'm probably going to get a really nice third party one of those rather than waste another few hundred on a 1080.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I wonder when can we expect to see GTX 1070 pre-orders? I've decided I'm probably going to get a really nice third party one of those rather than waste another few hundred on a 1080.

Various techsites and youtubbers reckon around the end of June but that demand is going to mean there scarce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

I just honestly never saw value in really expensive keyboards and mice. I have a Cougar 500K now and it's nice (and affordable), but in terms of gaming it doesn't really serve me any better than the €15 Chinese keyboard did. Have a €20 mouse as well and I do play a lot of FPS and never had an issue. I just see the money as so much better invested in a better GPU/SSD, etc.

Ha this terror. For me it's not like a case of a free sync/gysnc monitor vs normal one or 1440 vs 1080. It's straight up placebo.

I have to admit to feeling a bit done on the mechanical KB front myself. There was nothing wrong with my old G15 tbh.

A nice mouse though - doesn't have to be too fancy €40 is worth the expense IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I got a mech keyboard on the cheap off a lad here, I've gone back to my old 20 quid keyboard. Apart from the fancy lighting I don't see the point. The fancy lighting was why I bought it, it got old pretty quickly! Luckily I didn't spunk over a 100 quid on it.

A lot of AIB 1080's are still showing as TBD regarding what clocks they will ship with. Is this normal? They are due to be released very soon and the AIB's haven't decide what clocks they'll ship at the more expensive end of the scale. You can pre order cards from all of them without actually knowing what clocks it will be sold with!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Sneak

Would I have to upgrade my i5 4460 for the 1080??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Sneak wrote: »

Doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Sneak wrote: »

Nope, not at all

superg wrote: »
    A lot of AIB 1080's are still showing as TBD regarding what clocks they will ship with. Is this normal? They are due to be released very soon and the AIB's haven't decide what clocks they'll ship at the more expensive end of the scale. You can pre order cards from all of them without actually knowing what clocks it will be sold with!

Overclocker's selection looks to have all the correct clocks?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

EVGA bring their 1080 full lineup to computex. Classified and Hybrid versions spotted!

13316788_10154912413644942_512744857905377209_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoibyJ9&_nc_ad=z-m

• Advertisement

Overclocker's selection looks to have all the correct clocks?

Some do, the highest end don't. The Gigabyte G1 gaming and xtreme editions still showing as TDB, same for EVGA classified. Same story with KFA2, Pallit and Zotac. Only the ASUS Strix has the clocks showing from the most expensive offerings.

Advertisement