Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop Fan Problem

• 07-05-2016 4:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭

Hi I have a 2.5 year old i5 z580. The fan is not working. I have opened the back and it doesn't spin on booting up or even when launching the dust removal utility. I have set the cooling options to active on all power plans but still nothing.
    Im presuming its broken however there are no error messages etc. Is it possible for it to have been set off?
    Is there anything I should try before sending it to a shop to repair?
    Heavy use etc and it overheats and slows down so im using it sparingly at the moment. I upgraded to Windows 10 about two months ago but have only this issue the last week or so.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Hi I have a 2.5 year old i5 z580. The fan is not working. I have opened the back and it doesn't spin on booting up or even when launching the dust removal utility. I have set the cooling options to active on all power plans but still nothing.
    Im presuming its broken however there are no error messages etc. Is it possible for it to have been set off?
    Is there anything I should try before sending it to a shop to repair?
    Heavy use etc and it overheats and slows down so im using it sparingly at the moment. I upgraded to Windows 10 about two months ago but have only this issue the last week or so.

Thanks for any help.

Have you plugged the fan out and reconnected in case it's come a bit loose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

No, to do it requires to pretty much disassemble the entire laptop. Ive replaced keyboards, memory, drives etc before but on this particular laptop there's one screw that I cant remove for some reason. Id nearly bring it in with me to a hardware shop and try a variety of screwdrivers on it as it doesnt look stripped or anything. I can see one point and its securely in.
    Should I not be getting some sort of error though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Depends if its voltage controlled or PWM, fans without an RPM counter won't be able to signal they aren't spinning so the protection comes from the overheat controls.

IMO its more likely to have failed than come loose, the connectors are sturdy, so Id order the part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

I agree with the post above, it's not likely that the connector has come off. It is more likely that the fan bearing is gone or that there is some physical problem with the fan.

Download speedfan, which is "a program that monitors voltages, fan speeds and temperatures in computers with hardware monitor chip". It will tell you what the computer actually sees

There's also another program called HeavyLoad that can be used to "load" the processor and cause it to heat up, but it's probably not needed in your case.

I agree with the post above, it's not likely that the connector has come off. It is more likely that the fan bearing is gone or that there is some physical problem with the fan.

Download speedfan, which is "a program that monitors voltages, fan speeds and temperatures in computers with hardware monitor chip". It will tell you what the computer actually sees

There's also another program called HeavyLoad that can be used to "load" the processor and cause it to heat up, but it's probably not needed in your case.

I had tried speedfan already but couldnt see anything thatd help in it. Launched again and anything to do with fans or voltages has no data?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Any you getting indication as to the processor temperature at all?
    No RPMs at all for fans in the left side pane?

SpeedFan_4.33.png

I would have presumed that the processor would have had that little fire symbol beside all processor cores if the fan wasnt working.

I wonder if you go in to the BIOS will it show you anything related to the fans?

No this is what I get

385546.png

I have the added problem of not being able to access bios since updating to windows 10. the lenovo z580 has a button on laptop to get into it called onekey recovery which doesnt work since windows 10. It says needs to be administrator, which I am. Have tried disabling anti virus and trying it but no luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Don't know if this will help, found a similar problem, this worked for someone (don't know if Win10)
    (1) Open the Charm Bar by pressing Windows Key-C
    (2) Click on Settings
    (3) Click on Change PC Settings
    (4) Click on General
    (5) Scroll to the bottom and click on Advanced Startup -> Restart Now
    (6) Click on Use A Device

Thanks but tried before and it will bring up a menu to access the uefi bios before booting as normal, same with using the key to boot, disabling quickstart,every f key, holding insert and booting etc.

Advertisement