Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor signal on some stations espec at night

Options
  • 07-05-2016 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

Hi Guys.

I'm living in Germany these times and have recently installed a 'Selfsat' receiver for the purpose of getting UK Freesat at 28E

Look at http://www.selfsat.ch to see what i'm talking about.

At night in particular some stations such as Channel 4, Channel 4 HD, More 4, Film 4, BBC 4 HD (almost anything with a '4' in the title it seems:)) tends to become unwatchable. Other stations such as the BBC1 and BBC2 are fine.

During the day, these same stations are perfect.

I've ruled out rain or droplets thereof on the dish surface/LNB as a factor. In fact, the weather recently has been very good. About 25 deg celsius during the day time. Little or no cloud cover.

I've also use a signal finder to maximise the signal received as much as possible.

Is this a normal when the weather improves? Back in Feb when the dish was put up, everything was fine, across all stations.

Would I be waisting my time by getting a 'singal booster' to put between the receiver and dish or LNB?

Thanks for any feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Delta Lima

So you are using a flat panel 'dish'. From what I have googled, its about equivalent to a 60 cm. conventional dish. You should check out the Astra 2 footprint here.

http://www.satbeams.com/footprints

There's a big difference in signal strength from 28E depending on where you are in Germany. The further east you go the worse it gets. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

A lot of the UK stations are now on the narrow beam, meaning the footprint is not as big it once was. The Selfsat would be far too small.

You need an 80cm dish. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astra_2E

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭galwayguy85

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm near Dortmund.

For various mostly aesthetic reasons a conventional dish wasn't possible to install where we live.

The galling thing is that the signal is high in both strength and quality during the day on the main Freesat stations we tune into. I can't imagine the beam very suddenly got narrower on whichever transponder carries Channel 4 HD and sister stations for just evening time transmissions?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Those selfsat dishes are not strong enough to pull in the signal. I am surprised that you get a signal during the day. They claim they are akin to a 60cm, but perform like a 45cm from memory.

There are various factors that cause this to happen all technical and none of which would help you.

A UK spotbeam is very tight (towards what it was). You will get sheer drops. The night time issue in an on the fringe (or outside the fringes!) you describe is just a symptom of that.

Bigger dish, and even then no guarantee!

Thanks for that STB.

I guess I'll be glad for what stations I do I clearly.

Channel 4 HD can be gotten over by watching or more likely recording whatever broadcasts on Channel 4+1 (I think that is on a different transponder/satellite).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Thanks for that STB.

I guess I'll be glad for what stations I do I clearly.

Channel 4 HD can be gotten over by watching or more likely recording whatever broadcasts on Channel 4+1 (I think that is on a different transponder/satellite).

I suppose you can always go down the Filmon road.

JD.

Yeah, or the BBC iPlayer route. A tiny bit of a hassle hooking up the computer to the TV etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Yeah, or the BBC iPlayer route. A tiny bit of a hassle hooking up the computer to the TV etc.

I've got a few of these on the go, very handy.

sku_149382_4.jpg

Cool. Thanks for the tip. I'll give it some thought. The Sony TV already has some 'smart' functions built in, but can be a bit of a chore to use. Netflix, for example takes about 3 attempts to launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

Would I be waisting my time by getting a 'singal booster' to put between the receiver and dish or LNB?

Yes you would, and wasting money as well.

• Advertisement

UPDATE

Now that we are entering Autumn (or 'Winter is Coming', as I like to call it), Channel 4 HD, UTV HD and their sister stations on the transponder(s) it's transmitted on are now working perfectly.

I reckon it may be down to the relative position of the various heavenly bodies and how they can impact the satellite signal's footprint, espec when overseas (Germany in my case).

I am starting to believe in astrology. :)

Advertisement