Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Grades

Options
  • 07-05-2016 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

Well lads and lasses, I hope ye are all well. I've got an exam next week and I haven't been in the right state of mind to study for it all week. I only got three hours sleep last night because of my nerves and I was at student counselling last week.

I was just wondering, what is the procedure with I-Grades? I really don't want to fail my exam, but nerves took over in the last one and I couldn't perform properly even though I knew the material. I don't want this upcoming exam to ruin my QCA but if I'm not sure if I'm in the right mental state to complete my remaining exams :(

Where do I go from here? I'm assuming you don't get credits for an I Grade. Will it look very poor on my transcript? Will I be able to graduate or do I do a repeat exam in the summer? Do I have to clear my I Grade and how do I go about that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭ricimaki

I'm not too sure about I-grades, but I'll try and answer.

I think an I-grade exam has to be sat at the same time as the repeats, and is the same paper too. The main difference is an I-grade is not capped at a maximum grade of C3, whereas a repeat exam is. You should get the full credits available for the module. I'm don't think it shows up on your transcript either.

If you are currently in your final year, your graduation might be pushed out to a later date, as the repeat/I-grade exams occur just before the graduations. If you're in any other year, it shouldn't have any effect on graduation.

I'd imagine SAA would need a note/letter from the student councillor/student health centre to let you get an I-grade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

ricimaki wrote: »
    I'm not too sure about I-grades, but I'll try and answer.

I think an I-grade exam has to be sat at the same time as the repeats, and is the same paper too. The main difference is an I-grade is not capped at a maximum grade of C3, whereas a repeat exam is. You should get the full credits available for the module. I'm don't think it shows up on your transcript either.

If you are currently in your final year, your graduation might be pushed out to a later date, as the repeat/I-grade exams occur just before the graduations. If you're in any other year, it shouldn't have any effect on graduation.

I'd imagine SAA would need a note/letter from the student councillor/student health centre to let you get an I-grade.

Thanks for the response. Would I have to do the exam next week regardless of whether I get an I-Grade? In other words, do I do the exam and then apply for an I-Grade or do I do the I-Grade exam as a substitute for the actual exam. Does the coursework I've completed to date count towards my grade or is it a 100% exam?

Fortunately I'm not in my final year so that wouldn't be an issue at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭ricimaki

Thanks for the response. Would I have to do the exam next week regardless of whether I get an I-Grade? In other words, do I do the exam and then apply for an I-Grade or do I do the I-Grade exam as a substitute for the actual exam. Does the coursework I've completed to date count towards my grade or is it a 100% exam?

Fortunately I'm not in my final year so that wouldn't be an issue at least.

I'm really not sure about this. Your best bet is to talk to SAA or the student health clinic tomorrow morning, and follow their advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TMJM96

Well lads and lasses, I hope ye are all well. I've got an exam next week and I haven't been in the right state of mind to study for it all week. I only got three hours sleep last night because of my nerves and I was at student counselling last week.

I was just wondering, what is the procedure with I-Grades? I really don't want to fail my exam, but nerves took over in the last one and I couldn't perform properly even though I knew the material. I don't want this upcoming exam to ruin my QCA but if I'm not sure if I'm in the right mental state to complete my remaining exams :(

Where do I go from here? I'm assuming you don't get credits for an I Grade. Will it look very poor on my transcript? Will I be able to graduate or do I do a repeat exam in the summer? Do I have to clear my I Grade and how do I go about that?

If you can't do the exams for whatever reason you have to email the people it involves so if it's mental health you have to email the counselling service.

They ask you a few questions to make sure it's an actual reason for not doing the exams and you fill out a form that they send off to some board to be approved.

You just have to get on to the lecturer then and tell them you're applying for the I grade. Best part is they're free and when you repeat the tests the grade isn't capped at a C3. Course work (labs, essays etc. Whatever would have been CA is still the CA).

TMJM96 wrote: »
    If you can't do the exams for whatever reason you have to email the people it involves so if it's mental health you have to email the counselling service.

They ask you a few questions to make sure it's an actual reason for not doing the exams and you fill out a form that they send off to some board to be approved.

You just have to get on to the lecturer then and tell them you're applying for the I grade. Best part is they're free and when you repeat the tests the grade isn't capped at a C3. Course work (labs, essays etc. Whatever would have been CA is still the CA).

How easy is it to get approved? I really worry about my state of mind if I find out that my application was unsuccessful :(

I'm going to go in tomorrow and talk to student counselling about everything. I really feel ****e about having to do this. I've been sick the last few days as well but my family/girlfriend are really worried about me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TMJM96

How easy is it to get approved? I really worry about my state of mind if I find out that my application was unsuccessful :(

I'm going to go in tomorrow and talk to student counselling about everything. I really feel ****e about having to do this. I've been sick the last few days as well but my family/girlfriend are really worried about me.

I've personally never have had to apply for an I Grade but given your current being, you should be approved for it. Don't worry about that. I only said the above for anyone who may ever read that in the future.

Don't feel shít for having to do this, so many other students do, that's why the counselling is in place. Given that your girlfriend and family are behind you you'll get even more support coming up to the I grade exam in August.

Again, don't worry and I hope you start to feel better again. Exams can be enough of stress without external factors. Exams and college are important but you and your wellbeing will always be number one priority.

TMJM96 wrote: »
    I've personally never have had to apply for an I Grade but given your current being, you should be approved for it. Don't worry about that. I only said the above for anyone who may ever read that in the future.

Don't feel shít for having to do this, so many other students do, that's why the counselling is in place. Given that your girlfriend and family are behind you you'll get even more support coming up to the I grade exam in August.

Again, don't worry and I hope you start to feel better again. Exams can be enough of stress without external factors. Exams and college are important but you and your wellbeing will always be number one priority.

I appreciate the support. My state of mind has been pretty bad during the last couple of months tbh. I've wanted to come through this horrible semester as unscathed as possible. But it's definitely taken its toll. It's likely that the I-Grade exam will be the week after my birthday, but with the pressure I'm under at the moment its not worth it.

Advertisement