Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wooden Windows

Options
  • 07-05-2016 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Felt I'd get a better reply here than in the DIY forum

Mods feel free to delete.

Considering moving into a bungalow is situated in a quiet street but the only downside is that the windows are wooden. I've been told by quite a few family members that the Windows are in good condition ie no leaks.

Just wondering what's people's opinion of wooden Windows? They are slightly putting me off taking the property. I would be renting the house from another relative and she said she would replace the Windows in time but just wondering how much would it cost to replace 4 wooden Windows with double glazed pvc Windows?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How long have they been there? Wooden windows can warp, and once they do so draughts come in. And unless the family members have lived there, they probably won't notice it.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Are they single or double glazed and what age are they? Lots of wooden windows are far superior to pvc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

I saw your other thread and see that you've had problems with the double-glazed windows in your present house.
    I live in a semi - d with those 'mock Georgian' wooden windows, once so fashionable in the 1980s... They were there when I moved in 20 yrs ago with a young baby and they've been fine.
    I have been thinking about replacing them, and I have been quoted e800 approx per normal window.
    Why is everything twice as expensive as it was 2 years ago? !!
    I'm updating more for security and investing 'in the house' as opposed to being sick of wooden windows.
    It's nearly Summer. Why don't you see how you go in the house. I actually find double glazing quite stifling when staying in friends/hotels etc after living without it for so long.

Advertisement