Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I mention previous debt problems in mortgage application

• 07-05-2016 7:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

So in short, I missed a few payments on a loan and had another written off years ago. Young and stupid. Anyhow now Im going for a mortgage and have been asked in a form if iv previously had any debt problems. As these were so long ago they are no longer evident on my ICB report. They were there but are long over the 5 year period and as such have disappeared. My question is should I mention these in my mortgage application. Or as they are off my ICB report and I assume now untraceable will I be better off just saying nothing? I dont want to lie but I dont want to put my application in jeopardy unnecessarily.Thanks in advance

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Per the Charter
    Toots wrote: »
    No Dishonest Dealings.
    Don't ask how to get around repaying debts/defaulting/giving false information for loans etc - basically if it's not above board, and legal, it's not allowed. This includes advising posters to do it/how to do it.
    You need to provide true and accurate info on your mortgage application, you'll be signing a section at the end that states that the information you've provided is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,758 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

dbagman wrote: »
    So in short, I missed a few payments on a loan and had another written off years ago. Young and stupid. Anyhow now Im going for a mortgage and have been asked in a form if iv previously had any debt problems. As these were so long ago they are no longer evident on my ICB report. They were there but are long over the 5 year period and as such have disappeared. My question is should I mention these in my mortgage application. Or as they are off my ICB report and I assume now untraceable will I be better off just saying nothing? I dont want to lie but I dont want to put my application in jeopardy unnecessarily.Thanks in advance

Time for you to do whatever you think is right, methinks.

But remember you are going to put your signature to it all, and it will be legally binding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

Toots wrote:
    You need to provide true and accurate info on your mortgage application, you'll be signing a section at the end that states that the information you've provided is true.

I'm not looking for info on how to falsify a loan application or breaking the law. Simply enquiring if it's necessary to bring up a bad debt from years ago. Were talking a decade plus ago here. And not for huge sums of money. If it's not on my ICB report is it worth mentioning is all I'm asking. I'm not providing false information if I'm not providing the information full stop. That would be my personal view on it. But like I said I don't want to lie in my application if it came to light and would be viewed as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

I'm not looking for info on how to falsify a loan application or breaking the law. Simply enquiring if it's necessary to bring up a bad debt from years ago. Were talking a decade plus ago here. And not for huge sums of money. If it's not on my ICB report is it worth mentioning is all I'm asking. I'm not providing false information if I'm not providing the information full stop. That would be my personal view on it. But like I said I don't want to lie in my application if it came to light and would be viewed as such.

If you want to stand a chance of getting a mortgage, don't mention your priors. It is up to the lender to ask prudent questions and do their own due diligence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

If you apply to the same bank that you ran into trouble with, it will still be on your records so beware.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭PaulM1977

Test the water, try getting approval with one bank and if anything shows up, then you can take it from there, i.e. if you have a decent explanation as to why this happened and that it was so long ago then it may not be a problem for you. Pick a bank that would be the lowest on your list of preferable lenders and apply to them.
    Also, have you had any personal loans since then that show you have a good credit profile?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If the question being asked is not answered correctly then you are potentially committing a fraud by trying to obtain a loan by deception.

It's pretty harsh, but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Why don't you ask a Mortgage broker about it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Why don't you ask a Mortgage broker about it?

Engaging someone to tell lies for you? That's still potentially fraud surely?

For God's sake the poor chap was young and foolish and did not realise at the time that missing a few payments would affect his credit rating for the rest of his life. He probably now has a partner and maybe family, hopefully he learned his lesson and don't have to suffer or more importantly his family for the rest of their life.

The bank's done a lot more harm to us as a country with their reckless lending during the Celtic tiger years and then we bailing them out so it's a minor issue that he omits to disclose that he missed a few payments 8/10 years ago.
    Best of luck in your mortgage application. Pity the banks and the Regulator weren't so honest years ago.

• Advertisement

Trish56 wrote: »
    For God's sake the poor chap was young and foolish and did not realise at the time that missing a few payments would affect his credit rating for the rest of his life. He probably now has a partner and maybe family, hopefully he learned his lesson and don't have to suffer or more importantly his family for the rest of their life.

The bank's done a lot more harm to us as a country with their reckless lending during the Celtic tiger years and then we bailing them out so it's a minor issue that he omits to disclose that he missed a few payments 8/10 years ago.
    Best of luck in your mortgage application. Pity the banks and the Regulator weren't so honest years ago.

Ignorance of potential consequences isn't much of an excuse is it?

p.s. Everyone hates what the Banks did, but it still doesn't give anyone a moral carte blanche to attempt obtain finance through deception.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭KrakityJones

I would suggest applying for a copy of your credit report from icb.if your bad past loan shows up on it you need to declare that, if it doesn't then it no longer applies and does not need to be mentioned, that is not illegal that is why these records have a time limit.

He mentioned in his original post that his credit report with ICB is clean as it happened many years ago.
    I would suggest applying for a copy of your credit report from icb.if your bad past loan shows up on it you need to declare that, if it doesn't then it no longer applies and does not need to be mentioned, that is not illegal that is why these records have a time limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭KrakityJones

Trish56 wrote: »
    He mentioned in his original post that his credit report with ICB is clean as it happened many years ago.

My mistake, in that case there would be no need to mention it, it doesn't exist - you have no black marks on your history, if you had they have expired to let you get on with your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

I meant more ask a mortgage broker for advice on the situation, and if they would know how the banks would treat an application in which the OP admitted to their previous debt issues.

Some banks may not care at all about it, others could shut the door straight away. Banks may not have any way to find out about it, but maybe they do!

It may cost a few quid to ask a mortgage broker, but it might give the OP peace of mind all the way through the mortgage application process, which I am assuming they are looking for.

Lenders won't like a history of bad credit and unpaid debts.

I've no idea would it ruin anyone's chance of obtaining a mortgage, so perhaps your idea of asking a mortgage broker has merit?

It's certainly a better idea than lying on an mortgage application.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭PaulM1977

Lenders won't like a history of bad credit and unpaid debts.

Not necessarily true, if there is a history of bad credit but it is being dealt with/repaid, and there is a proper explanation for this, then the banks will look at a mortgage application and if they qualify for the mortgage required even with the previous bad credit still being paid, the applicant may still be approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭chefwes

My advice is be up front and honest with the bank. By all means run your query by a broker but I think if you neglect to tell the bank it will look unfavourable on your part. Everybody makes mistakes and you've dealt with the matter so you have nothing to hide. As other poster has said if you have a reason or explanation if they ask you then give it to them. Nobody's perfect and plenty of us have dropped the ball at some stage, your only human and by showing the bank your being open and honest will stand to you in the long run.

Advertisement