Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie trying to find the right e-liquid?

Options
  • 07-05-2016 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭

So I'm a fairly casual smoker, would only really smoke when I'm drinking and when I do its rollies like amber leaf. I'd happily go weeks without smoking. Anyway I decided to give vaping a go. This is the kit I got

- Skystorm base unit
    - H2 BDC Airflow Clearomizer
    - ETC BDC Glassomizer

I put 16mg Menthol in the clearomizer and in the glassomizer I put 8mg Red Fusion. Everything is going fine but I'm a bit confused about why I get a much better throat hit from the red fusion? Everything I had read led me to believe that higher nicotine and menthol is a better throat hit?

The red fusion is nice but its a powerful flavour. I'd like to try a flavourless or at least more subtle than red fusion but with the same throat hit, has anyone got any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

E liquid has 4 main components.

PG
    VG
    Nicotine
    Flavouring

PG and VG are the main components, and the other two will be suspended in them too.

PG is more liquidy, moves easy, if that makes sense.

VG is thicker.

PG gives the most throat hit.

VG makes more vapour, denser vapour.

When you buy liquid it will be in a ratio. 50/50 is half VG, half PG. And so on.

For smaller tanks like you are using, its best for the liquid not to be too thick, or it will have trouble wicking.

Most of us know what ratio we like.

I have no experience with the VIP products, and the don't really give the ratio. But on the red mist link, down the very bottom in ingredients, it says that there is greater than 70% PG, so it is likely very runny, and has a very strong throat hit.

It doesn't say on the other liquids page what the ratio is. Although someone else might be along who knows.

Nicotine mg does provide some element of throat hit. But really its more to do with the PG content. I use 3mg, but I use it in quite high power tanks. If I used higher it would feel harsh, and like a big throat hit.

70% PG is very high, most liquids wouldn't be more than 50%. Traditionally higher PG is a cheaper liquid, although not always the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

That's fairly pricey for that kit, you should have asked for recommendations on that first. Could have got something a lot better ... BUT!!! the main thing is you are here, and you are trying to kick the smokes :)

I'm not into tobacco juices so will let someone else recommend juices for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Neither of the two liquids he/she tried were tobacco flavours though.

Also to the OP, Aniseed can be fairly strong and rough in a liquid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

That's fairly pricey for that kit, you should have asked for recommendations on that first. Could have got something a lot better ... BUT!!! the main thing is you are here, and you are trying to kick the smokes :)

The base unit was actually given to me as a present so I went and bought stuff from VIP to complete the kit. Would definitely have researched here first if I had been buying myself. Pretty happy with it for now though. Out of interest what would you have recommended for a starter kit?

I wouldn't be into tobacco juices at all either, kind of defeats the purpose of trying to get away from rollies. Just looking for something low nicotine with a good throat hit and doesn't overwhelm taste buds the way red fusion does.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

moleyv wrote: »
    Neither of the two liquids he/she tried were tobacco flavours though.

Also to the OP, Aniseed can be fairly strong and rough in a liquid.

Good point, I don't know those juices just assumed. A lot of beginner vapers opt for tobacco. I was on baccy's for about a year, then tried some custards and sweet types and never went back
    The base unit was actually given to me as a present so I went and bought stuff from VIP to complete the kit. Would definitely have researched here first if I had been buying myself. Pretty happy with it for now though. Out of interest what would you have recommended for a starter kit?

I wouldn't be into tobacco juices at all either, kind of defeats the purpose of trying to get away from rollies. Just looking for something low nicotine with a good throat hit and doesn't overwhelm taste buds the way red fusion does.

Ah ok cool, so long as it works well that's the main thing :) it depends on your general taste then, obviously you like menthol. I know a lot of menthol lovers rate Red Astaire highly, from T-Juice. Supposed to be like cherry tunes

http://www.ezsmoke.ie/tjuice-c-4871/377-10ml-tjuice-astaire-p-377.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭8mm

LiQua Virginia is a lovely tobacco type vape and will remind you of rollies. This uses 60% or 70% PG and at 12mg to 18mg you should be quite happy with the throat hit.

LiQua French Pipe is another good one for rollie lovers. Has a bolder darker flavour. Same PG/VG ratio as above.

For something with lighter taste try a RY4 type tobacco. Earthy tobacco tones with a very light vanilla/caramel aftertaste. You will find that most of the major brands carry some variation of this named as USA Blend or Cowboy Blend.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭j26m

I started with Liqua too, and it's good. If you find the throat hit too much, you could look at Freshcig or Onepoundliquid, which I gather is made by the same people as Freshcig. It's higher VG, but not extremely high - about 50/50.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭bd2012

Have a look at republic of vape's own brand tobacco range. They are spot on in my opinion. The also do one called 'rollies'. They're reasonably priced too. Only thing is they are 70vg so would be a slightly thicker liquid. Not sure how well they would wick in the tanks you're using at the minute.

EDIT- just spotted you're not looking for a tobacco flavour. Never mind me!
    In that case I would recommend esmokeireland's extreme menthol. Nice throat hit from it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

VIP liquids are all 70pg bar their "gran reserva" range.

OP, by any chance do you have the menthol in the h2 (plastic clearo) and the red fusion in the ETS (metal one)?

That h2 is incredibly difficult to get a proper drag from, whereas the ets has better air holes and I find they give a better throat hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

VIP liquids are all 70pg bar their "gran reserva" range.

OP, by any chance do you have the menthol in the h2 (plastic clearo) and the red fusion in the ETS (metal one)?

That h2 is incredibly difficult to get a proper drag from, whereas the ets has better air holes and I find they give a better throat hit.

Yes this is the way I have them at the moment. Perhaps it is the plastic clearo which is why I'm not getting a good throat hit with the menthol? I will try the menthol out on the metal ets when I get a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Yes this is the way I have them at the moment. Perhaps it is the plastic clearo which is why I'm not getting a good throat hit with the menthol? I will try the menthol out on the metal ets when I get a chance.

Take a look at the plastic one too. at the bottom of it, there's a metal bit you can twist. you'll see an airhole. Twist the metal bit until the airhole is fully uncovered/open. Should help get a better hit.

Also, you should have your voltage set to around 4.2 on the skystorm.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ohmplate

If you're not addicted to nicotine I'd try hunt down a 0 nic juice with high pg for the throat hit. You don't want to end up addicted because of vaping.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭j26m

ohmplate wrote: »
    If you're not addicted to nicotine I'd try hunt down a 0 nic juice with high pg for the throat hit. You don't want to end up addicted because of vaping.

Good point.

Advertisement