Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby with cold sores (oral herpes) in her mouth

Options
  • 07-05-2016 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Hi. I have been babysitting for a baby (one year old) who has oral herpes. She ended up in hospital dehydrated but was given fluids and medication and sent home after a few hours. At first had been diagnosed by the doctor with Hand, Mouth and foot by her doctor as it had been in her creche.

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this and how long it takes to clear up. Also is it very infectious? Her mother suffers from coldsores and in the hospital they said she would have gotten it of her and it could have been dormant for a while and flared up because she was run down. I have never had a cold sore and wonder should I be worried about getting it.

Also she is finding it hard to eat so any help with anything that may be easy for her.

Thanks and sorry for such a long first post in this topic!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

AryaStark wrote: »
    Hi. I have been babysitting for a baby (one year old) who has oral herpes. She ended up in hospital dehydrated but was given fluids and medication and sent home after a few hours. At first had been diagnosed by the doctor with Hand, Mouth and foot by her doctor as it had been in her creche.

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this and how long it takes to clear up. Also is it very infectious? Her mother suffers from coldsores and in the hospital they said she would have gotten it of her and it could have been dormant for a while and flared up because she was run down. I have never had a cold sore and wonder should I be worried about getting it.

Also she is finding it hard to eat so any help with anything that may be easy for her.

Thanks and sorry for such a long first post in this topic!!!

You could ask a pharmacist

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

Roselm wrote: »
    You could ask a pharmacist

Thanks! We got the medicine etc from the pharmacist and can use a syringe to get fluids into her like dioralyte.

I may have to babysit again next week if she can't go to the creche. Hoped their might be someone on here with personal experience of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Hi I do it's called herpetic stomatitis the first time they get them and as you know they get quite sick with them. She's as contagious as anyone with a coldsore (so for example I was breastfeeding and there was a worry that I would get one on my nipples). S was incredibly ill with it she was 4/5 days in hospital. Eating wise ice pops, yogurts, mash, pur e anything soft nothing acidy it's painful for them too. Hope she feels better soon

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

My little boy got his first dose around 1 - luckily we avoided hospital but he was pretty miserable for a couple of weeks. He now seems to get a coldsore on his lip at the end of illnesses - he's had 2 since but they don't seem to bother him and they clear up in a few days.

I don't get coldsores and I haven't caught it from him (despite all the kisses etc) so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

As long as you don't kiss the baby's mouth you should be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

Thanks for all the feedback. She is feeling a bit better and her Mam can stay at home with her today so we will see how tomorrow goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Need to be careful of them, have to admire the little virus for determination though :

My dad actually transmitted the virus from his mouth into his eye years ago, touched his cold sore didn't wash his hands and rubbed his eye, he went blind in that eye and has flare ups in the eye every so often, it's terrible.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99581596&postcount=87

herpes viruses can be transmitted even when there are no prodromal sensations or visible sores

About 6 to 48 hours before a cold sore appears, you may feel itching, tingling, burning and/or pain at the outbreak site. You may run a low fever (less than 100.5 degrees F or 38 degrees C). This is called the prodromal period. You can transmit the viruses at this time even though sores aren't yet visible. Not everyone who gets cold sores will notice symptoms during the prodromal period.

https://medicine.yale.edu/labmed/education/cme/casestudies/7/10.aspx

Herpes simplex (HSV) encephalitisis the most common cause of fatal sporadic fulminant necrotizing viral encephalitis

Overall mortality is over 70% with only 2.5% of affected patients every fully recovering

Advertisement