Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to jump from AIB, but...

• 07-05-2016 10:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭

I've lived abroad for a few years and despite having printouts of statement detailing my earnings, I've not found work here yet and was denied an account by Permanent TSB. AIB have been atrocious over the years and I'll looking for another account to use from now on. What are my options? Credit Union? Post Office? BOI? Someone else? Who would supply the best features? Anything with an online component, like managing accounts online, perhaps from abroad? I understand O2 is gone, has their topup debit card been replaced by 3? Do I need a 3 contract to get one?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Are you looking to open a current account?

If PTSB said no and you do not want AIB, then your other options are KBC, BoI, EBS and Ulster Bank. (Number26 are currently not an option).

KBC will give you free banking with their Extra Current Account provided you deposit at least 2,500 EUR per month. EBS also offer free banking subject to terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Credit Union might be your best choice.

KBC also offers you the option to open an account via an app if you can fulfill their documents requirements. But unless you get 2500€ in it's not fee free.

If you lived in an EU country before coming here, why not keep that account? With SEPA you can use it without a problem here even for direct debits (with the exception of some companies who think they are above the law).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭DublinBust

I wasn't in the EU and am not able to deposit 2500 a month, have never made that much in this country.

Do KBC have a branch in Dublin? I've never seen their logo.

Are the other banks likely to also say no? BoI, EBS, Ulster Bank?

Failing them, I'll have to settle for the Credit Union. Is the Post Office not a viable solution?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Yes, KBC have branches.
    Are the other banks likely to also say no? BoI, EBS, Ulster Bank?

Do you have a PPS number?
    Failing them, I'll have to settle for the Credit Union. Is the Post Office not a viable solution?

An Post does not do current accounts. Credit Unions, in general, do not do current accounts or offer a very limited service.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭DublinBust

Yep, I have a PPS number :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement