Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any thoughts on a core i3 mini it build?

Options
  • 08-05-2016 4:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

I am wrecking my head thinking about getting a new build together. I don't use my current setup at all and game mainly on the ps4 and vita. I use a laptop and tablet for everything else.

The laptop is terrible though and I cannot even watch a 720p rip without it sticking let alone 1080p. I use the current pc to edit home movies, play the very odd game on it. It's a phenom 2 quad core. Gets about 4000 passmark score. I don't use it because of its location. It's miles down the house away from everybody. I prefer to stay in sitting room. It's quite loud though.

Was thinking of getting a core i3 6100T in an Antec ISK110 case and putting it in the sitting room instead of the laptop. Then I'm thinking I must be mad buying an i3 for the TDP of 35W when I could get an i7 for 45W. Not much difference in wattage but big difference in processing power. I want it to be quiet but doesn't have to be silent. I was gonna cool the i3 passively so there would be zero fans. Don't know what I want now. Don't want to get sucked into the whole cpu race either needing the best cpu and fastest clock speed etc. Any suggestions?

Edit: meant mini-itx build in heading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Is it just general uses or do you want to game on it

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

I'll have to say general use because I'm not that big a gamer plus in my head gaming = louder. That might not be true

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

It is but you can negate it with good fans and good cases, as well as playing games on lower settings.

My PC is quieter than the PS4 in 90% of cases.

Anyways, for general use, get a Pentium, there's no reason to get an i3, never mind an i7

Advertisement