Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San Francisco for a day?

Options
  • 08-05-2016 7:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    I am currently in the airport en route to San Francisco. I'm actually staying out in San Jose. It will take me between 60-90 mins to get to SF each way. I'm only there today really so is it worth taking the trip from San Jose to SF? I'd get about 6 hours in the city I reckon.
    Hopefully someone has some experience with this! :) It was organised last minute so I really haven't had time to do research or anything yet.

One day only - Stay in San Jose or visit San Francisco? 2 votes

Stay in San Jose
    0% 0 votes
    Go to San Franscisco
    100% 2 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes, I would say, absolutely. Do a hop-on hop-off at the very least. There are so many iconic sights in SF worth seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LesleyMcL

Yes, even if you just get the BART to Powell walk up nob hill get the views walk back down, potter around Union SQ you can walk through Chinatown & North Beach (little Italy) it's all very close together or the hop on hop off if you want to get in the GG bridge etc. It's a beautiful city totally worth the commute!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Awesome, thanks both! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Get the Caltrain from San Jose to San Francisco, , taxi from there to union square, get one of the hop on Hop off buses, Takes in everything, make sure you go over the Golden Gate Bridge on the tour bus!!!
    Enjoy, it's an amazing city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Rfrip wrote: »
    Get the Caltrain from San Jose to San Francisco, , taxi from there to union square, get one of the hop on Hop off buses, Takes in everything, make sure you go over the Golden Gate Bridge on the tour bus!!!
    Enjoy, it's an amazing city.
    The caltrain times aren't great on a Sunday so I'll be taking an uber in I think but thanks for the tip, I'll ask for union square! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

Even just go down to the pier. See Alcatraz across the bay. Definitely worth seeing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

OU812 wrote: »
    Even just go down to the pier. See Alcatraz across the bay. Definitely worth seeing
    Worth seeing, it's a cool image from across the water, not worth heading over to though imo. It's a place where the myth is much bigger than the reality and there just isn't a whole lot of history to the place, would devour 3 hours of their day too

If you feel like a stroll, Land's end up to the Golden Gate bridge is bloody lovely.
    With only a day you should probably just go for the key things though (the bridge, chinatown, lombard, castro...). I imagine bus tours and the like cover it all fairly well tbh, probably take you as far as Twin Peaks which has one of the best views in the city too (a city with amazing views all over the place, mind)..

Definitely better heading up SF way than hanging around San Jose for the day for sure, even if only for the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Excellent view spot of the entire city from Twin Peaks:

https://goo.gl/maps/1Arn683h4zB2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Excellent view spot of the entire city from Twin Peaks:

https://goo.gl/maps/1Arn683h4zB2
    Yep, nuts view altogether, especially on a day like today I'd say.
    if it's a bit too out of the way I'd go for Bernal instead (it's maybe a half hour trek from a Bart stop tops and you'd get to see some of the Mission on the way), you'll mostly be surrounded by dogs and fitness freak locals rather than tourists; getting up it is (slightly) less of an endurance test for a comparable view too.

Advertisement