Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home tuition

Options
  • 08-05-2016 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

We've been looking for a home tutor for ages and finally gave had someone contact us. Thing is, she hasn't done home tuition before although she has done July provision for the last 2 years. She is a qualified primary school teacher. My son is just gone 3. I have no idea what I should be asking/loping for in a home tutor? She's inexperienced but she's the only response we've got. Could anyone offer any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

Does she have experience working with preschoolers or with kids with ASD/special needs?

Primary school teaching experience is great, but a three-year old probably needs a different approach.

What aged kids was she working with during her July provision, and what kind of programs/methods/teaching was she doing with them?

Also, what does your kid/you/your family need from a home tutor? Does you kid need help with challenging behaviour, with communication skills, with social play skills? Does this tutor have experience working on whichever issues you feel need addressing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Hi yellow hen take her on board but keep looking for someone more experienced. As her how she will assess and address his needs and tell her what you want in his programme eg speech work, sensory etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Thank you both. If you don't mind, I might come back to you both once I've discussed the plan with her. My biggest fear is bringing someone into our personal space with no benefit snd who has the potential to confuse our son.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

yellow hen wrote: »
    Thank you both. If you don't mind, I might come back to you both once I've discussed the plan with her. My biggest fear is bringing someone into our personal space with no benefit snd who has the potential to confuse our son.

Totally understandable. Depending on your son's needs and her experience, she may not be the right fit - and worst case scenario could do more harm than good.

Meet with her and talk it out. Happy to try to offer more advice after :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

No bother at all. Ask all you want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

yellow hen wrote: »
    We've been looking for a home tutor for ages and finally gave had someone contact us. Thing is, she hasn't done home tuition before although she has done July provision for the last 2 years. She is a qualified primary school teacher. My son is just gone 3. I have no idea what I should be asking/loping for in a home tutor? She's inexperienced but she's the only response we've got. Could anyone offer any advice?

If I could give any advice it would be to push and find someone with ASD experience or working with children with additional needs.

I would put an add on educationposts.ie if you haven't already. It may be difficult to find a tutor but shouldn't be impossible as there are lots of unemployed teachers at present. You could also contact the colleges that do the post graduate training in special needs as this years students should be finishing up soon and looking for work.

Advertisement