Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock and a hard place - two job offers

Options
  • 08-05-2016 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I was offered a job and am due to start tomorrow (Yay!). On Friday morning I was offered another job I interviewed for but didn't think I had gotten. Now I'm sleepless and confused.

Job 1: Private sector, pays 39k, free parking, 30 min commute, 39 hours per week, standard holidays, permanent role.
    Job 2: Education sector, nominal paid parking (€90 annual pass), 20 minute commute, 34.5 hours per week, salary band is 34k-43k (HR will prepare formal offer including where I sit on the band), two year contract, likely but not guaranteed to be renewed.

Both roles are similar in terms of duties and responsibilities but job 1 has a better job title. Job 2 has better benefits in terms of healthcare, pension etc. If both roles were equal pay, I think I would take job 2, but I won't know the salary until HR contact me Wednesday. I am supposed to start job 1 tomorrow. Parents think I start job 1 and if the offer for job 2 is reasonable, resign from job 1. I'm conflicted as it feels morally wrong but if I am placed at the bottom of the band, I would be silly to throw away 5k.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

First off - congrats on both jobs!

Secondly - don't just look at it solely in terms of benefits & pay. Which place did you like better when you interviewed? What's the chances of progression (not just moving up the ladder but learning too) in either job?

Job 2 may initially offer €5k more but that could stay at that level. Would Job 1 have the potential to move up to that salary?

There's also the permanent versus contract. If you're looking at mortgage etc than banks aren't usually great if you're on a contract as it's not guaranteed (no matter what they might tell you).

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 57 ✭✭denver62002

First off - congrats on both jobs!

Secondly - don't just look at it solely in terms of benefits & pay. Which place did you like better when you interviewed? What's the chances of progression (not just moving up the ladder but learning too) in either job?

Job 2 may initially offer €5k more but that could stay at that level. Would Job 1 have the potential to move up to that salary?

There's also the permanent versus contract. If you're looking at mortgage etc than banks aren't usually great if you're on a contract as it's not guaranteed (no matter what they might tell you).

+1

Advertisement