Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best hair straighteners

Options
  • 08-05-2016 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Ok so my Ghds have seen better days (9 years old) and are starting to damage my hair. I recently purchased new Ghds and they are not what they used to be. I've heard they've reduced their temperature as to avoid hair damage but my hair won't straighten properly. I'm returning them.

I want to purchase ones that go to at least 220 degrees. I know this isn't good for my hair but I want it straight. All the remingtons seem to have very good reviews even the ones for 40euro. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

ainemdg wrote: »
    Ok so my Ghds have seen better days (9 years old) and are starting to damage my hair. I recently purchased new Ghds and they are not what they used to be. I've heard they've reduced their temperature as to avoid hair damage but my hair won't straighten properly. I'm returning them.

I want to purchase ones that go to at least 220 degrees. I know this isn't good for my hair but I want it straight. All the remingtons seem to have very good reviews even the ones for 40euro. Any recommendations?

L'Oreal Steampod. Can't beat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭waterfordgirl

I second the steampod. Its amazing and definitely does far less damage to hair while doing a nicer job of straightening than the ghd. Goes to 210 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭apieceofcake

Where are you able to buy the Steampod ? Argos ?

Where are you able to buy the Steampod ? Argos ?

They are available in peter marks - online or in store. Havent seen them anywhere else but i know that there are some independent hairdressers stocking them

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Unz88

How much does it cost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

My favourite are the Remington straighteners. Either Silk or Pearl... Both go up to 235 and the heat is adjustable.

Unz88 wrote: »
    How much does it cost?

I paid 180 i think - definitely no more than 185 anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Helenheg

ainemdg wrote: »

Yes the loreal steam pod is amazing. You will not regret purchasing it. Hair looks like salon results after. Only problem I'm having is trying to replicate these results while travelling abroad with different sockets and voltage requirements. Any ideas about travel straightening options??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Helenheg wrote: »
    Yes the loreal steam pod is amazing. You will not regret purchasing it. Hair looks like salon results after. Only problem I'm having is trying to replicate these results while travelling abroad with different sockets and voltage requirements. Any ideas about travel straightening options??
    Well in Europe you only need a travel plug adapter but if going to the USA for example, you'll need to buy a step-down transformer. I presume Maplin have them. I bought mine in RadioShack in the States so you could always bring your steampod and do that if it is indeed the USA you see travelling to, or anywhere else with lower voltage

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Helenheg

Well in Europe you only need a travel plug adapter but if going to the USA for example, you'll need to buy a step-down transformer. I presume Maplin have them. I bought mine in RadioShack in the States so you could always bring your steampod and do that if it is indeed the USA you see travelling to, or anywhere else with lower voltage

Thanks. I haven't tried this option before but I will look for it when in the states or Canada next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

My favourite are the Remington straighteners. Either Silk or Pearl... Both go up to 235 and the heat is adjustable.

My GHD has just gone to hair straightener heaven, am using my "spare" cheap John Frieda one at the moment, but it's not the best. I was thinking of getting a new GHD or the Steampod but I was looking up reviews of these and they look great. The Silk is only €50 in Boots at the moment. Can you buy the Pearl in Ireland do you know? I'm only seeing it on US websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

My GHD has just gone to hair straightener heaven, am using my "spare" cheap John Frieda one at the moment, but it's not the best. I was thinking of getting a new GHD or the Steampod but I was looking up reviews of these and they look great. The Silk is only €50 in Boots at the moment. Can you buy the Pearl in Ireland do you know? I'm only seeing it on US websites.

I had the pearl but needed a replacement after about 5 years and could only see them online and I wasn't willing to wait! They're available on electricshop.ie but I haven't ordered from them before.

The silk is a great straightener but the button placement annoys me sometimes. I preferred the pearl purely for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Another vote for loreal steampod with the accompanying keratin cream- better results with less damage to hair. While it is more expensive than normal straighteners, it's the best thing I have invested in for my hair since ghd's were introduced to the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

I bought the steam pod few days ago, felt like it was my birthday with the excitement 😊😊

The results are great, I only had to straighten my hair all over just once. I found with my GHD, it pulled strain's of my hair, with this it works v smooth. My hair doesn't feel as dry or damaged as it use after.

I didn't realise the pod was actually a separate piece, but didn't really matter!

There is only one negative, I found it a Lil bit awkward to use. The top part where the plates are, is quiet wide, it might be that I was so use to the way the GHD was slim, but it was a bit tricky to get right to the root of baby curls on either side of my head.

Maybe with more use I'll get use to it, but I'd give of a 9/10.

Almost forgot, are some hair products meant to come with it?? There's 3 compartment things in the box, one for the straightener, and one for the pod.....the other was empty?!

Stop animal cruelty, did you get it in Peter marks by any chance? I got mine there in a special deal for 185 I think and so had to buy the keratin cream separately, think it was about 20 euro extra. That's what is meant to be in the box but maybe not included as its on special offer? I know they are well over 200 euro with the keratin cream on Amazon.

I'm not a one for being pushed products on but for me it does work better with the keratin cream, I only use a tiny amount though as I think too much would weigh your hair down. Means it lasts for ages though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

I got it for 180euro, didn't see or wasn't told it was on special offer, that's annoying cause I would have gotten those products!

I'm sure of I went back in with my receipt I might get them for 20euro....?

Yes as that's what the cream costs anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭LinF

Helenheg wrote: »
    I have a Karmin Salon Series styling iron that is dual voltage see all the features etc here:
    http://www.karminhairtools.com/karmin-salon-series-ceramic-hair-straightener-iron.html
    I take it with me when I visit my daughter in Holland and in the States and she has used hers in Singapore and Australia.

Advertisement