Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reconnection fee for rented commercial property.

Options
  • 08-05-2016 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I have just rented a shop unit which i plan to renovate and start a new business,when i went to get electricity turned on i was told there is an 1900 euro reconnection fee for the property due to it being disconnected more than 2 years ago,am I or the landlord responsible for this charge.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Whats in the lease? Do you have a breakdown of the fees?

The actual reconnection charge for residential is €70. I dont know if its higher for commerical premises. I think first time connections, especially in remote areas, can cost a bit more.

So the €1900 probably represents the connection fee plus a larget deposit plus arrears. You wouldnt owe the arrears, but definately would have to pay the deposit. If the lease includes a term that the property comes connected to electricty, it would logically be the landlords responsibility but if not it is you who is getting the utility.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 banjo12

Because its been disconnected for more than 2 years its treated as a new connection hence the 1900 euro charge,but my arguement is that a unit would not be rentable without power so surely connection would come as standard.The lease is a standard lease that says the tenant is responsible for all utilities when in situ,but i cant pay electricity bills if i dont have electricity

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Just tell the l/lord that you are looking for a property with power connected.Hes unlikely to find a tenant otherwise anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

If you paid key money then it's up to the landlord as you bought it as a going concern.
    If you paid no key money then check the small print in the lease

No key money paid,just the usual deposit and rent in advance.Its been closed for the 3 years and there were no queues for it when i took it,the lease doesnt mention anything about the property being disconnected or anything about reconnection.If it is my bill then i will pay it but its a fair whack out of a start up budget.If it was residential it would definitely be on the landlords side Im just wondering is it different for a shop unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

banjo12 wrote: »
    No key money paid,just the usual deposit and rent in advance.Its been closed for the 3 years and there were no queues for it when i took it,the lease doesnt mention anything about the property being disconnected or anything about reconnection.If it is my bill then i will pay it but its a fair whack out of a start up budget.If it was residential it would definitely be on the landlords side Im just wondering is it different for a shop unit.

Ring the solicitor you used for buying the lease. He/she will give you the correct answer. Without looking at the lease any of us on here are really guessing. You don't need guesses. You know facts.
    I hope it works out in your favour:)

Thanks for that ,Il talk to solicitor tomorrow.

Advertisement