Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil service pension

• 08-05-2016 12:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

I worked for a town council from '05 to '09 before being laid off (temp contracts). Since then the town council has been shut down so I presume county council took ownership.

I started back working with this county council last September. Would I be entitled to go back on that pension scheme which would be a lot better terms than the new one I'm on i am guessing?

If not are they obliged to give me all the details/payments from old one as I have no info on it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You've been working for them for the past 8 months, have you thought of asking them? Are you a member of IMPACT?

If you were on temporary contracts with the old UDC, it's likely that you weren't in any pension scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

First of all, you're not a civil servant, you're a local authority employee.

PS pension schemes are broadly similar.

Town council staff and county council staff would have exactly the same pension, unless somebody knows otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

You were probably on the pension scheme but you need to check with your employer. I worked in the LA sector for a few years on temp contracts and was in their pension scheme. However I know of one of my colleagues who was on temp contracts and he wasn't added. He paid his superannuation at a later date to catch up.

If you were on the old pension scheme your new employer is under no obligation to offer you the better terms of the old scheme,it's whatever was in your contract that matters.
    gutteruu wrote: »
    I worked for a town council from '05 to '09 before being laid off (temp contracts). Since then the town council has been shut down so I presume county council took ownership.

I started back working with this county council last September. Would I be entitled to go back on that pension scheme which would be a lot better terms than the new one I'm on i am guessing?

If not are they obliged to give me all the details/payments from old one as I have no info on it?

Thanks

Advertisement