Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old radios

Options
  • 08-05-2016 2:10pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I found these old radios when clearing out a shed. Does anyone know if they are worth
    1. Restoring,
    2. Binning,
    3. Scavanging for parts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Was in little wing pizzeria last night and they had a load of vintage radios like these on display.

Fully restored, they'll sound thin and mono.

You could transplant a dab set into the case.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

The first one looks like a Pye PJ501.
    I grew up listening to that model but the one with the turntable (PJ501TG). It succumbed to woodworm but I still have the electronics out of it which will be much the same.
    They are AM only but the sound is fine, better than many modern AM radios. Good range on the AM too, from just under 500 meters to 27.5 meters.

Even in good condition, these old radios are rarely worth much so doing one up would be more for the love of it. IMO.
    If the wood work is in reasonable condition, it might be worthwhile restoring. Won't be much use for parts unless you're restoring another.

EDIT to add that you need to careful about applying voltage to the Pye if it hasn't been used in a long time as the caps may not be in good condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 RADIORAT

I restore em for ahobby.

Whatever you DONT plug em in which is everyone kinda does. You can get a big bang and a load of smoke, sparks, smell and flame.
    Kinda like electric picknick or a guns n roses concert. If you are throwing them out I will have em to restore or for parts whatever. That little PAM (no relation to Anderson) would be nice to restore (as would Anderson).

Takes a mountain of time and know how to restore em so its not worth paying to have em sorted me thinks.

Check em out for woodworm monsters and if they have them low dowm=n xxxy~# then you gota put em into a black plastic bag and into the DEEP freeze for about three months pronto cause its comin up to their make babies time. May June.

Any chance of the model numbers and a photo of inside em.

Cheers.

Radiorat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

RADIORAT wrote: »
    I restore em for ahobby.

Whatever you DONT plug em in which is everyone kinda does. You can get a big bang and a load of smoke, sparks, smell and flame.
    Kinda like electric picknick or a guns n roses concert. If you are throwing them out I will have em to restore or for parts whatever. That little PAM (no relation to Anderson) would be nice to restore (as would Anderson).

Sorry, lost track of this one.
    If you want them you are welcome to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭SOPHIE THE DOG

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Sorry, lost track of this one.
    If you want them you are welcome to them.

If the first one was still available I would like to have it (to remind me of the radio where I grew up) - let me know where you are based as well

• Advertisement
Advertisement