Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A renovation plan - need help!

Options
  • 08-05-2016 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

So in our new house we inherited a lovely back garden full of stones and featuring a pond and s fountain! We now want to convert it back to a lawn so just wondering if anyone could offer any advice.
    1.The pond is about 2ft deep. Could we just throw stones into it to raise the level and then out topsoil in? Would a lawn grow like that or will we have to root the entire concrete structure out of the ground?
    2. We'd love to get it done in early June so the kids have a lawn to play on. We'd therefore need to use roll out lawn. Is this a very expensive option and is it difficult to long-term get s good lawn?

I have a picture of the garden but can't ipload it. Can anyone help with that too? Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

The pond will hold water even if it is just covered. I would think it could give a long term drainage problem for your lawn if it is not deconstructed someway first.

It does sound like a lot of work to haul a concrete pond out of position but if you could break it up with a drill and a kango hammer it might become free draining again. Once it is not holding water you could raise the level of the garden with a load of top soil and plant lawn on top but this sounds like a job you should consider getting professional advice on.

Roll out lawn was about 3euro a square metre a few years back and I found it worked well. Its not very expensive for a small area and can be a lot easier than getting lawn going from seed.

Not sure about the iploading picture question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Why not simply hire a pump for the weekend, drain the pond and add a few bags of sand and at least the kids can enjoy a moon crater. This will give you time to decide what to do with garden longterm?

Advertisement