Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i'm looking to pay someone to install new case

Options
  • 08-05-2016 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭

i'm in ennis here and work as a software developer. i bought a custom build in 2011 from hardwareversand but added loads of stuff to it since. now there's 5 hard drives adding up to 12.5TB and I need to add more but no space in case. also the CPU temps seem very high at idle (70c!) which i'm sure is not the fan but ambient temp because of very bad airflow from all the cables.

so i want to move my build to a much bigger tower. but i really don't want to do it myself. is anyone out there willing to do it for me? i'd buy the parts and you'd move the kit to the new case and get cables all tied up and airflow nice. i'd drive anywhere in the country with my stuff but obviously anywhere closer to ennis is preferable

i'm thinking of paying €100 but negotiable if that's not enough. emails to me@georgicasey.com if want to communicate there

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I'd do it sound, located in Galway City. Could do a stopover in Ennis sometime if preferable.

Have you a new case in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

I'd do it sound, located in Galway City. Could do a stopover in Ennis sometime if preferable.

Have you a new case in mind?

i can drive to Galway city no bother as well, give me an excuse to get some McDonaghs in. no case in mind really. just something really big so can take loads of hard drives, maybe even 10. this case will never leave the office and i don't care if it's ugly as sin. i'll look now. also want to install a mugen CPU aftermarket cooler i never installed. i still have stock fan

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Have you considered using a NAS rather than continually adding drives?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

If your up in Dublin any time soon I will do it for you for free. What challengemaster said is a good idea then as you could look to build a decent raided nas instead.

Decide on whether you want a new case or a NAS, if it doesn't take too long I'll do it for free in Galway, a pint otherwise ;)

• Advertisement

definitely new case, the CPU temp and airflow is the problem, extra hard drives is just an afterthought

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

Always great to see the help from boardies. I was going to help for free also but seems as you are in good hands already.

got lazy here and did nothing or PMd nobody yet! but i need to fix this before i break something

my motherboard temperature (from TMPIN0 in HWMonitor, i'm pretty sure that's the MB sensor) is now hitting around 70C-80C so i think i've problems

here's a pic of the case as it is now.

08tWGiCl.jpg

i suppose i should first tie back the cables but there's loads of them and not sure if that's the cause.

i've been looking at cases on Amazon and they all seem expensive and none have big amount of hard drive bays, 4 3.5 and 2 2.5 seems to be the standard. any recms for a big case?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

That image won't load for anyone except you.

ah well spotted, noob stuff from me. i thought google photos direct JPG URL be like facebook photo URLs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Cable management makes almost no difference to airflow. That crappy stock heatsink on the otherhand... :pac:

Install and exhaust fan on the back there - I'd say that's one of your biggest issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Clear out the dust too. There is a thick layer at bottom of case. This won't be helping temps

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭unseenfootage

Cable management makes almost no difference to airflow. That crappy stock heatsink on the otherhand... :pac:

Install and exhaust fan on the back there - I'd say that's one of your biggest issues.

All electrical components emit heat and would contribute towards the ambient temperature within the case. The temp of the CPU is related to the ambient temp in the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

As pointed out it does appear that you have no intake or outtake fans installed - even if you do have a front intake it's largely blocked by those hard drives.

Stock heatsink is grand but definitely at the very least get an exhaust fan. Lots of reasonably priced cases have excellent cabling options where the cables and wires go behind the motherboard tray. Won't make a huge difference really to temperatures but it's good for the mind :D

Stock fan normally gets about 40c at idle, so make sure it's installed correctly - it may need to be removed, thermal paste cleaned and re-applied. And add an exhaust fan. Should be fine then.

Nanoxia DS1 or Fractal R5 can take 8 HHDs each if that's enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Why not put additional HDDs in a separate enclosure?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

The case itself isn't the issue. Even that dust isn't likely to cause problems because none of the coolers actually look caked in it. The main issue you have is lack of airflow, so all the hot air is just going nowhere. CPU cooler is either wrongly seated or there's an issue if temps are so high at idle, but that's excess heat being generated there. That many HDDs with no cooling over them will generate huge amounts of heat, and then you have a graphics card dumping hot air into the case as well. All this with not a single exhaust fan...

Seriously, stop throwing more hard drives into the same case or any case for that matter. It's just unnecessary. Get a NAS enclosure, you could even get one with a built in backup/raid system.

If there's no intake fan at the front I'm actually surprised you haven't lost a hard drive yet just due to heat.

As TF says, re-seat that CPU cooler. There's no way your CPU temps should be getting near 70C even with the stock fan. One or two 120/140mm fans in that case should make a world of difference.

Advertisement