Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New gaming build - Budget around €5-600

Options
  • 08-05-2016 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭

Alright lads and lassies,

Looking to do up a build for as low as possible, but still be able to play all lastest games on high/ultra settings if at all possible.

Ok, i'll fill out this template.
    What is your budget? €5-600

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming, All types old, new and in between. Dayz, GtaV, Fifa etc.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? no.

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Harddrive, SDD, Keyboard, Mouse etc. All the basics i Have.

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? On a TV at present, will do the job for now until funds allow.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No.
    7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes if its needed. No problems with it atall.

8. How can you pay? Card

9. When are you purchasing? ASAP

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Mayo/Roscommon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Blackgator

I've just built my first gaming PC with advice from a few peeps on here.
    Cost me €500 for PC with keyboard and mouse.
    I used an i3 6100 CPU and a MSI GTX 750ti GPU along with a MSI b150 motherboard.
    Am currently playing ARMA 3 Altis Life at around 40 fps and Heros & Generals at about the same, both optimize with GeForce Experience software.

For your budget you could get something morenpowerful, but mine shows what kind for fps you could expect from a budget build.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

i5 6500 €200
    R9 380 €200
    Case €50
    8gb RAM €40
    500w PSU €60
    B150 board €50
    Total €600

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Cheers digital, that's the exact build i had specced up myself.

Looks like a good build, is mind factory the spot to go for now?

Yeah, not for the case, go Amazon for that

Cheers!

Any of the r9 380's you'd recommend?
    Also, Boards are something i've no idea about. Any chance of giving me a name/link for one?

I'm fairly handy with the building so that will not be a problem, but all the boards i was picking were €70+.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭terryduff12

Where do you price the parts Digital?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Where do you price the parts Digital?
    Past knowledge I suppose. It ain't 100% accurate but definitely close.
    I'd say go for a 6400, as €20 is a bit extreme for 0.3GHz.
    B150 boards are the perfect price/feature, just be aware of which boards take DDR3L and which take DDR4. Look for the DDR4 boards, as the 3L can damage the Skylake chip, according to Intel.
    The 380 is a good card, but always go for the 4GB version. The trend in the market is more GB as games are using more. Stick to 1080p and 4GB will do fine. You might get away with the 2GB version, but I know what I would do.
    Don't skimp on your PSU. After all, it keeps things running smoothly. Your case shouldn't be too expensive, but obviously there are bad budget ones out there too. Thermaltake make some good ones with their Core V31/51, but IMO the best ones are the S340 from NZXT, the Eclipse P400 from Phanteks, and the Fractal Design Define S.

Eoinmc97 wrote: »
    Past knowledge I suppose. It ain't 100% accurate but definitely close.

Pretty much, whenever I actually end up browsing parts I try to keep a memory of what things actually cost, and then round it a little :pac:

Digital you are a gent.

All i've left to do is pick out a case, have €50 left in the budget for it.

Hopefully should have me sorted.

• Advertisement

Just looking for an update to this build, thinking of picking up a 2nd hand i7 7700k for around 300 with a new motherboard. Or would I be better off going for a Ryzen 2600x?

They seem pretty similar from benchmarks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If you have to buy a new motherboard as well, definitely not.

You can get i7-6700 for 150 from CEX, still a top gaming CPU and will work with your current board.

Yea I'd be needing a new board alright. I ever even looked at that avenue being honest, I'll take a look now.

If you're after a new board, the 7700K doesn't make any sense. Something like a i5-9400 + basic board is cheaper and much newer with very similar performance.

Ryzen 2600X + basic board would be similar priced to the 9400 option and would perform similarly.

When when you already have the B150M, a 2nd hand 6700 at 150 is ideal. Great performance, very little hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Forget the CPU, upgrade the GPU first.

GTX 1660 Ti / RTX 2060.

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    Forget the CPU, upgrade the GPU first.

You think? Seems to be the CPU holding it back in games like Rainbow six siege and the likes. CPU is hitting 100% while GPU isn't anywhere near max.

Was going to go for the small upgrade to the i7 to stop this and look at a new GPU later on. 1060 is still relatively good for most titles I've found.

Ah thought you were still on the R9 380.

That said, you're still likely to see 15-20fps or more increase going from 1060 -> 1660 Ti

Yea I ditched that long ago in this build. Just didn't cut it at all.

Yea I suppose. Really thinking of just throwing another 8gb of ram and a new SSD at this and seeing how that goes.

Even the i7 looks like a small upgrade for the price.

+1 to that.
    Dual-channel RAM & an SSD would definitely work wonders alright.

It depends on the games. At 1080P with a 1060 6GB I'd prefer an i7 + that over an old i5 + 1660Ti. Far more consistent minimum frames, lower CPU usage and pretty much always >60.

Dual channel v single channel makes a big difference in some games. If right now you have a single 8Gb stick, defintiely swap that for 2x4 or upgrade to 2x8. Having 16GB ram won't make a big difference, but the dual channel does.

Also, 100% CPU usage on R6 sounds like something is very wrong even with an i5-6500. There is no way that game would push a CPU like that to 100% unless you were playing at 144hz and had graphics settings adjusted to allow you to hit CPU ceiling.

• Advertisement

It's 2x4 currently. It's not actually my pc so I'm only going by the information I've been told. I might grab the pc for a week and figure out exactly what's going on while in games.

Advertisement