Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One for the tree experts.

Options
  • 08-05-2016 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

I have an oak tree that has been comprehensively ringed by plastic rope. The tree is clearly struggling as the leaves arrive later and weaker than the two oaks right beside it. Two questions: am I right to suspect the ringing being the culprit for the performance of this tree, and, if so, can I do anything to repair the damage and give this tree a chance?

9LAEmoR.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cobham

ah remove the rope!! and dont let the ivy take a hold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

The rope is deeply embedded in the cut. No way to just pull it out. I would have to cut into the tree to remove it. Is that what you mean?

The ivy is a compromise reached with her indoors. It isn't allowed to go any higher than chest height. She thinks it's decorative. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cobham

Just release the pressure somehow. If any fresh wood exposed, paint over to seal. It looks a young enough tree and will weather the insult. I would argue that the bark of an oaktree is more appealing than ivy.:)

cobham wrote: »
    Just release the pressure somehow. If any fresh wood exposed, paint over to seal. It looks a young enough tree and will weather the insult. I would argue that the bark of an oaktree is more appealing than ivy.:)
    The rope was put there many, many years ago and there is no raw wood. On one of the other oaks there is a knuckle that looks like the bark has grown around a similar insult. This one isn't showing any sign of joining over the rope.

I agree with you about the oak bark, but we have a coalition government in this house and compromise keeps it in power. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

The rope has effectively ringbarked your oak tree and done it irrepairable damage. Attempting to remove/pull out the rope at this stage (from what I can see in the photo will only cause further damage, ie further ringbarking/debarking, etc, as the rope is too ingressed into the wood and there does not appear to be any way to relieve the pressure from the rope by cutting the rope.

You can see flushing of the tree below the rope where the trees adventicious buds are growing and trying to make a go of it. Tree flushing is associated with damage.

If there is no hazard posed by the tree, ie if it fell over from this rope injury (which would be seen as negligence on your behalf as the tree owner) would it injure a person or property?
    If not, then are you happy with a tree of substantial weight that could go over at any time in your garden?
    If not then remove it or it may be possible to fell the tree to just below the rope and for it to maby flush further and grow on from there in a sort of bushy way, retaining it in your garden. The felling may kill it but maby not.

Tree paints are no longer used on trees with wounds.
    Painting or Sealing
    Covering pruning cuts or other wounds with a paint, often bitumen based. Research has demonstrated that this is not beneficial and may in fact be harmful. On no account should timber treatments be used as these are definitely harmful to living cells.
    From here with a few other pointers :D
    http://www.trees.org.uk/Help-Advice/Public/A-brief-guide-to-tree-work-terminology-and-definit

Oak bark is a delicious sight

• Advertisement

Thanks Oldtree, I was afraid that would be the advice.

There is no danger to the public from the tree. If it did fall it would take out the roof of one of my sheds. It looks like I will have to bite the bullet and take the tree down. It's a shame as I love oak trees and I only have this small stand of three... soon to be two. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i would think that you wouldn't have to actually pull the rope out - just snip it and leave it in place, and this would take a lot of pressure off i guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,410 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

If you google the fluid flows in trees you will see that vertical cuts in a tree are much less injurious than this constriction so I would make maybe 4/6 vertical cuts in far enough to cut the rope and then see can you extract it, you may have to remove some of the existing bark but if safe to do height wise I would just take your time and then treat the cuts as advised earlier.
    It will rejuvenate

However there is a serious height to girth issue visible in the picture so maybe reduce some of the branches above the constriction as to reduce wind generated bending moment on the tree at the constriction.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Thanks guys. I'm willing to try anything in an effort to save the tree. Nothing to lose by trying I suppose. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Further damage such as bark removal ie killing more cambium, to the tree will not improve the already defective structure of the tree. It is unknown at this point what damage has been done to the tree inside the rope, so the worst must be presumed from a safety point of view. There is obvious external constriction beyond what the tree can repair, unlike the obvious mark above the rope damage we are talking about now, where another constriction has been previously removed. The flushing is indicative of some serious damage to the tree and it is clear from the picture that the cambium has started to surround the rope, making it irremovable.

If you are going to reduce the tree size to retain it, be aware that lopping or topping is largely an inappropriate way to deal with this problem for many reasons. And as mentioned there is no "treating of cuts"/wounds in trees any more, defunct method.

The demise of this tree was brought about years back by not loosening the rope. Falcon L, do any members of your family wander in the garden or do you have visitors to the shed, everything to lose there in our litigious country. if so then a hazard exists there too while you try other suggested methods to "save" the tree over a number of years. I would strongly suggest you fell it to just above where the lower flushing is and allow/try to regrow the tree from there in some form.

• Advertisement
Advertisement